Jump to content

The US Politics/Elections Thread


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

There’s no way for that to work. The federal government has no authority nor means to inject itself into a state criminal matter. The Supreme Court has made this clear and just this year clarified that a President is still liable for acts before, during, and after his term(s) as President. 

That's surprising and interesting but ultimately just posturing imo. It won't get that far anyway. Would be happy to be wrong though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • downzy

    4913

  • Dazey

    1994

  • soon

    1761

  • Georgy Zhukov

    1595

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Better to accept now it'll never happen than get your hopes up.

Did those billionaires serve serious time in a serious prison?

As I said, I don't necessarily believe Trump will go to prison. I am not emotionally invested in whether it happens or not. I just don't reject the possibility out of hand.

Stanford is serving 110 years. I can't speak for whether he serves in a "serious prison" or not, but it is this: https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/clp/

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we all agree that regardless of where you land on Trump, causing mass traffic jams to show support for your preferred candidate is probably the best way to piss everyone else off?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Neither am I, but the way I look at it everything is pointing towards Biden's victory. I'm not talking about the polls because I don't have much faith in them. Trump got very lucky in 2016 because everything fell into place for him, but I can't see him being that lucky again, especially not after what has been happening this year. I don't think the fact that Biden is far from the perfect candidate matters too much this time. It would matter normally, but nothing is normal about these elections. Perhaps I'm not seeing something and your prediction is right after all. I guess we will find out soon enough.

I don't know if Trump was lucky four years ago. But I think his base grew bigger during the last 4 years. They wouldn't settle for anything else other than Trump. They are Trumpists not necessarilly republicans. I'm not saying he is going to win. But it's far from being an easy task for Democrats

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't know if Trump was lucky four years ago. But I think his base grew bigger during the last 4 years. They wouldn't settle for anything else other than Trump. They are Trumpists not necessarilly republicans. I'm not saying he is going to win. But it's far from being an easy task for Democrats

I think he was lucky many people didn't like Clinton and bothered not to vote. I think he was lucky that the e-mail controversy happened at the best possible time for him. I think he was lucky that the US has an undemocratic system in which one can become president without winning the most votes. I think he was lucky that almost everyone underestimated him. I don't see that happening this time and I hope a lot of people who voted for him last time realize now what an incompetent president he is.

edit: that's not to say he still doesn't has a large fanbase and it might be a lot closer than what the polls are showing.

 

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think he was lucky many people didn't like Clinton and bothered not to vote. I think he was lucky that the e-mail controversy happened at the best possible time for him. I think he was lucky that the US has an undemocratic system in which one can become president without winning the most votes. I think he was lucky that almost everyone underestimated him. I don't see that happening this time and I hope a lot of people who voted for him last time realize now what an incompetent president he is.

edit: that's not to say he still doesn't has a large fanbase and it might be a lot closer than what the polls are showing.

 

Lots of good points. And if he looses, the reasons you laid out will be why.

Im still not sure though. The notion of the electorate getting more educated and thoughtful is somewhat disproven by the dems putting forward Biden, lol.

The idea of electing a POTUS as a troll was fairly niche in 2016. I think that notion and other MAGA logic has spread. Retired men who didnt know what trolling was in 2016 have since discovered that its once again socially acceptable to be racist along with what trolling is.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think he was lucky many people didn't like Clinton and bothered not to vote. I think he was lucky that the e-mail controversy happened at the best possible time for him. I think he was lucky that the US has an undemocratic system in which one can become president without winning the most votes. I think he was lucky that almost everyone underestimated him. I don't see that happening this time and I hope a lot of people who voted for him last time realize now what an incompetent president he is.

edit: that's not to say he still doesn't has a large fanbase and it might be a lot closer than what the polls are showing.

 

Trump won because he embraced the kind of ideology that people like Sean Hannity were bringing on radio and t.v. for many years. A lot of people were happy that someone "had the balls" to bring that into the republican party platform. He run as a nationalist. Democrats bring electoral college issues when they lose. I agree a lot of people underestimated Trump. I agree that a lot of people didn't like Hillary. But I don't tink Bernie would've won either. I think Hillary's mistake was that she was too overconfident. She went to Arizona when she needed to be in the midwest. But the democrats as a whole share the blame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Padme said:

Trump won because he embraced the kind of ideology that people like Sean Hannity were bringing on radio and t.v. for many years. A lot of people were happy that someone "had the balls" to bring that into the republican party platform. He run as a nationalist. Democrats bring electoral college issues when they lose. I agree a lot of people underestimated Trump. I agree that a lot of people didn't like Hillary. But I don't tink Bernie would've won either. I think Hillary's mistake was that she was too overconfident. She went to Arizona when she needed to be in the midwest. But the democrats as a whole share the blame.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't mean he wasn't lucky. I suppose every time elections are so close, it is often a matter of who has the most luck, and 4 years ago luck was definitely more on his side. If the e-mail controversy hadn't happened at the worst possible time for her, if people hadn't thought Clinton was a given anyway and totally underestimated Trump and bothered to vote for her anyway even if she wasn't their favourite candidate (like I hope people are doing now with Biden), he might have never won in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Say what you want about Trump, but closing out his campaign with assurances he’s going to fire Dr. Fauci after the election is a bold move.

Always a great strategy to threaten the one guy who polls significantly better than yourself, with the added bonus of reminding everyone how incompetent you are. 

#politicalmasterclass

#stablegenius

1 minute ago, Silent Jay said:

Your heard the man.

Probably said while making a feeble attempt at hitting his wife or any other women in the room 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, downzy said:

Can we all agree that regardless of where you land on Trump, causing mass traffic jams to show support for your preferred candidate is probably the best way to piss everyone else off?

They should have had a riot and burnt shit down instead, like those other guys did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ratbrain said:

They should have had a riot and burnt shit down instead, like those other guys did.

Funny, because I didn’t see Biden signs at the BLM protests.  Thought this was a pretty obvious difference but considering the shit you believe I suppose obvious is hard to see for you.

And I certainly didn’t see Biden defending or supporting any of the violence like Trump did the other day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Your heard the man.

Utter crap. Connery, on his death bed in his Caribbean retreat, wouldn't be interested in this shite election. And I see the story has been rubbished by Scottish officials.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents; historic 48 hours ahead. I've lived in the US for 5 years now (UK originally). I don't have the right to vote quite yet but I think I can give an reasonably interesting perspective as someone who is removed, yet exposed to what's happening.

Honestly, whoever wins, I wouldn't be surprised either way. I personally think Trump will be re-elected. Speaking to friends, family (my girlfriend's immediate and extended family), colleagues etc. you get the impression that really level headed people are going to vote for Trump but just wont advertise it. I find it really hard to accept that, when roughly - win or lose - half the country will vote for him, all Trump supporters are "racist", "misogynist", "anti-immigration", "proud boys" etc. Being a Trump voter has almost now meant you're a certain type of person which just can't be true. Just like being a Biden supporter doesn't mean you're a socialist/communist.

From what I've seen the past 4 years, a Trump vote is almost akin to a protest vote in some instances meaning it's not about the man himself but more about voting for a genuine alternative to the cliched DC white collar, privileged runaround politicians who've already been in the White House and speak vaguely of "hope" and the "soul of the nation". I think when Trump speaks about American jobs, America first, American infrastructure it probably appeals more to your average income family from an average American town that one of these elite Washington politicians.

Equally well, I accept the counter-point that Trump probably doesn't necessarily connect with the every day American given his wealthy upbringing.

I don't feel strongly about either candidate but do believe that America was built on values that are supposed to give everyone the chance to prosper and make a life for themselves. The current race for the house is a reminder that in a country of 360 million people the most viable alternative is a 78 year old career politician.

You can carve it up a hundred different ways but I'm sure we all agree that, regardless of outcome, the bar is incredibly low and America deserves better.

Interested to hear thoughtful disagreement.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, how is this his closing message?  Does anyone really believe any this is true?  Or better yet, are there any persuadable voters out there that are going to believe any of this horse shit?  

I guess it’s better than his other closing message that Fauci will be fired and Lady GaGa and Lebron James sucks.

If Trump does win tomorrow I think we’ll see a wholesale re-evaluation of international relations. Other countries who can will write America off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, downzy said:

I mean, how is this his closing message?  Does anyone really believe any this is true?  Or better yet, are there any persuadable voters out there that are going to believe any of this horse shit?  

I guess it’s better than his other closing message that Fauci will be fired and Lady GaGa and Lebron James sucks.

If Trump does win tomorrow I think we’ll see a wholesale re-evaluation of international relations. Other countries who can will write America off. 

Downzy, statistically half of America will vote for Trump. Let go of the notion its because they like the person. That can't be true, surely? I think it's almost more of a protest vote against the "standard democrat alternative".*

* Note: I quoted that to help make my point but no one has actually said that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, downzy said:

Can we all agree that regardless of where you land on Trump, causing mass traffic jams to show support for your preferred candidate is probably the best way to piss everyone else off?

Yes, and so is doing a protest in the middle of a highway or busy street.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

Downzy, statistically half of America will vote for Trump. Let go of the notion its because they like the person. That can't be true, surely? I think it's almost more of a protest vote against the "standard democrat alternative".*

* Note: I quoted that to help make my point but no one has actually said that.

 

I personally like Trump but I think you're right that in most cases people aren't voting for Trump because they like him.  I'm more concerned this election with what it could mean for the country than I was in 2016.  If Biden wins we face a very real possibility of a countrywide lockdown.  My kids might miss another year of in school learning.  My taxes will most definitely be raised.  Democrats will destroy this country if given the chance.  I pray that tomorrow America rejects the Democrat party's plan to radically change our country.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Swampfox said:

I personally like Trump but I think you're right that in most cases people aren't voting for Trump because they like him.  I'm more concerned this election with what it could mean for the country than I was in 2016.  If Biden wins we face a very real possibility of a countrywide lockdown.  My kids might miss another year of in school learning.  My taxes will most definitely be raised.  Democrats will destroy this country if given the chance.  I pray that tomorrow America rejects the Democrat party's plan to radically change our country.

I have no doubt in my mind that Trump's winning the race decisively tomorrow; Biden doesn't have nearly the amount of momentum Hillary had at this time, and Trump's base has only gotten bigger.  The 2016 election has changed the landscape of American politics for the foreseeable future, and career politicians like Joe Biden are being shown the door.  Likely the biggest "drain the swamp" moment of his presidency so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, downzy said:

I mean, how is this his closing message?  Does anyone really believe any this is true?  Or better yet, are there any persuadable voters out there that are going to believe any of this horse shit? I guess it’s better than his other closing message that Fauci will be fired and Lady GaGa and Lebron James sucks.

If Trump does win tomorrow I think we’ll see a wholesale re-evaluation of international relations. Other countries who can will write America off. 

He's already won. Please Don't kid yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • downzy changed the title to The US Politics/Elections Thread
  • downzy locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...