The US Politics/Elections Thread

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

I suspect that he's been told to play ball until the 20th or bad things will happen. Perversely I think that yesterday may well end up being a good thing in the long run. Seems to have peeled off a lot of the support he otherwise may have retained leaving only the hardcore nutters still clinging on. I'm interested in how this affects the GOP from now on. Are we going to see a 20-30% bloc of MAGAs splitting or even going 3rd party in future elections or is that just wishful thinking on my part? :lol: 

There will be some elements of them around but yesterday's events really hurt the platform, imo.  If they come back it will likely be under a different marketing campaign and not nearly as strong, imo.  What happens over the next 2 years will be the tell-tell.

If Biden's Administration does a decent job curbing the virus and we head into a worldwide economic boom,  I think we will only hear/feel "echoes" of Maga by the end of 2022.  

Edited by Ace Nova
  • Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downzy

• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

I’ll be deeply disappointed if Democrats don’t move to impeach Trump by this weekend or early next week. Failure to do so is a dereliction of duty. I get the desire to bring down the temperature in the proverbial room, but they need to lay down a marker not just to put all legislators on record as to where they stand but for the simple need to condemn Trump’a behaviour in the harshest means possible. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, downzy said:

I’ll be deeply disappointed if Democrats don’t move to impeach Trump by this weekend or early next week. Failure to do so is a dereliction of duty. 

Can they even impeach him in 13 days? And if so, what's the point? He's gone by the 20th anyway.

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

There will be some elements of them around but yesterday's events really hurt the platform, imo.  If they come back it will likely be under a different marketing campaign and not nearly as strong, imo.  What happens over the next 2 years will be the tell-tell.

If Biden's Administration does a decent job curbing the virus and we head into a worldwide economic boom,  I think we will only hear/feel "echoes" of Maga by the end of 2022.  

https://www.newsweek.com/45-percent-republican-voters-support-storming-capitol-1559662?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1610026083

Reality check for people who think the percentage of Republicans who liked the storming of the capital is miniscule. Without this chunk of their electorate, Republicans are done as a national party.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
32 minutes ago, downzy said:

I’ll be deeply disappointed if Democrats don’t move to impeach Trump by this weekend or early next week. Failure to do so is a dereliction of duty. I get the desire to bring down the temperature in the proverbial room, but they need to lay down a marker not just to put all legislators on record as to where they stand but for the simple need to condemn Trump’a behaviour in the harshest means possible. 

I'll be surprised if Pence isn't already in the process of invoking the 25th and just taking this shit show over until 01/20

Disagree. 

Pence is still a coward and he still has no backbone. The only reason he didn't throw some bullshit yesterday was because he doesn't want to be in legal trouble. 

He is trying to appease everyone. In the end both sides will dislike him. 

16 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Can they even impeach him in 13 days? And if so, what's the point? He's gone by the 20th anyway.

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'll be surprised if Pence isn't already in the process of invoking the 25th and just taking this shit show over until 01/20

All of congress was gathered yesterday, why couldn't they just get this shit done in a matter of minutes? With all the GOP senators that turned yesterday to save their own tail, why the hell not?

Just now, arnold layne said:

Disagree. 

Pence is still a coward and he still has no backbone. The only reason he didn't throw some bullshit yesterday was because he doesn't want to be in legal trouble. 

I think you are right

4 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Disagree. 

Fair enough. I've said this many times but I don't pay close enough attention to politics to know the ins and outs of all of this. I usually just listen to folks like you and the others in this thread that know more than me 

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Fair enough. I've said this many times but I don't pay close enough attention to politics to know the ins and outs of all of this. I usually just listen to folks like you and the others in this thread that know more than me 

Politics is subjective. 

It is only how I perceived Pence's actions. A half assed attempt at appealing to both sides. 

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

If he is impeached he can't run again. As for time, the House can empeach him. But the trial is in the Senate. It can be done in a few day. I don't know how many Republicans like the idea

• Like 1

My big concern is why anyone thinks are just gonna be ok after Trump is officially out of office. As long as he has access to the internet, he'll be able to communicate his agenda of hate & violence to his ignorant supporters. 

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My big concern is why anyone thinks are just gonna be ok after Trump is officially out of office. As long as he has access to the internet, he'll be able to communicate his agenda of hate & violence to his ignorant supporters. 

Not a great deal of communication if he goes to jail. Keep in mind there are investigations goin on. But communication or not, it is Republicans who must make a U turn.  Not just from Trump but from the likes of Sean Hannity

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

Not a great deal of communication if he goes to jail. Keep in mind there are investigations goin on. But communication or not, it is Republicans who must make a U turn.  Not just from Trump but from the likes of Sean Hannity

I remain confident that this dude is gonna skip the country. He'll go somewhere he can't be jailed.

1 hour ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

https://www.newsweek.com/45-percent-republican-voters-support-storming-capitol-1559662?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1610026083

Reality check for people who think the percentage of Republicans who liked the storming of the capital is miniscule. Without this chunk of their electorate, Republicans are done as a national party.

Yeah.mayve but I had guessed among friends that Trump had lost about half his base because of yesterday's events and those numbers reflect that. 

7 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Yeah.mayve but I had guessed among friends that Trump had lost about half his base because of yesterday's events and those numbers reflect that. 

Even if he did, half his base not voting Republican destroys the Republicans as a national party.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

They can impeach him even after he's out of office.  It's not limited to his tenure while in office.

If he's convicted in the senate, he forfeits his right to hold elected federal office again.  So there are tangible benefits outside of the symbolic meaning.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

They could easily do both.  Trump would get his powers back if Congress failed to approve Pence's actions, but that would take two weeks.  It would essentially run out the clock on Trump's presidency.  

11 minutes ago, downzy said:

They could easily do both.  Trump would get his powers back if Congress failed to approve Pence's actions, but that would take two weeks.  It would essentially run out the clock on Trump's presidency.  

If only Pence has a spine lol

13 minutes ago, downzy said:

They can impeach him even after he's out of office.  It's not limited to his tenure while in office.

If he's convicted in the senate, he forfeits his right to hold elected federal office again.  So there are tangible benefits outside of the symbolic meaning.  

There's actually a very good reason for the GOP to go along with this idea from their perspective. It would clear the 2024 field without having to concern themselves with Trump running again.

• downzy locked this topic