The US Politics/Elections Thread

2 hours ago, Swampfox said:

If you love censorship because someone has a different opinion or different beliefs this is great news.  Not surprised at all this makes you happy.

This is not about a different opinion. It's about treason and violence. An insane attack on democracy by a bunch of nazis including the President of the U.S. himself. He told them to do it!

• Like 1
  • Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downzy

• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

But, assuming that it is real, you are kidding yourself if you don't think there is shit like this on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You just have to look at the right time in the right place. This is simply the kind of post that is currently in the spotlight given the context. The problem, as always, is not just moderation, it's selective moderation.

I've seen this stuff on Facebook, and it's almost always removed when a complaint is made.  As my understanding of the platform, Parler was doing little or nothing to counter this kind of stuff.  

4 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Furthermore, Parler had just doubled their moderation team size - maybe give them a second? It seems pretty clear to me that Apple/Amazon weren't sincere in their promise that they'd back off if Parler increased their moderation efforts. They literally gave them a day or two. No platform can achieve perfect moderation in a day or two. The big social media companies haven't figured it out in a decade of trying.

Fair enough (though, what does doubling mean, if anything, if they weren't really doing much beforehand).

But it still does not require Amazon/Apple/Google to care.  They're a private business.  They're entitled to do business with who they want.

It's not about perfect moderation.  We've been doing it for nearly a decade and we're no where close to perfect.  But the intention is there.  We're always striving to do better.  From what I read the owners of Parler seemed genuinely uninterested in curbing the worst from their users; that it would have undermined their whole "free speech" business model.  

Democrats introduce one article of impeachment (inciting violence against the United States of America) in the House:

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/articles-impeachment-trump-xml/b0422e292cebafda/full.pdf

Will likely pass in the next day or two.

Due to the Senate being on break until the 19th, it's unlikely the articles of impeachment are passed to the Senate until a much later date.  Were they be passed this week or next, the trial would take place on January 20th, Biden's inauguration.  

I've read Democrats will wait until after Biden's first 100 days before sending articles to the Senate.

Fun times.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jakey Styley said:

I was able to justify social media banning Trump as an individual decision, I felt there was a genuine national security risk of having Trump able to use social media at the time.

But events don't occur in a vacuum, they exist with relation to other events. And the totality of social media banning Trump along with what big tech has done to Parler (and with other small things leading up to this like the early Hunter Biden suppression) leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. What should have been a period of sober reflection for the GOP and country at large has now been muddled with an issue that makes conservatives feel very uncomfortable (and understandably so).

This overstep will only result in more populist anger from the right. You do not get rid of these so-called dangerous opinions by taking away their platform, you only further radicalize them and move them elsewhere.

If you think it was a good idea to ban Trump. Then you have agree it is a good idea to ban all those people who would carry  out any kind of violent crime because Trump ask them to do it. There shouldn't be any channel of comunication between Trump and his cult of criminals. I'm not sure it is a good idea for t.v. channels to broadcast some Trump rally. We don't know what he might say. And we don't know what kind of madness might take place because of Trump's or Giuliani's words.

45 minutes ago, Padme said:

This is not about a different opinion. It's about treason and violence. An insane attack on democracy by a bunch of nazis including the President of the U.S. himself. He told them to do it!

First of all he didn't tell them to do it.  Second of all they weren't Nazis.  Thirdly if you think this wasn't allowed to happen by our own government to start another impeachment to prevent Trump from pursuing a second term in 2024 you really underestimate the lengths they would go to keep Trump out for good.  And by they I'm not just referring to democrats.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

First of all he didn't tell them to do it.  Second of all they weren't Nazis.  Thirdly if you think this wasn't allowed to happen by our own government to start another impeachment to prevent Trump from pursuing a second term in 2024 you really underestimate the lengths they would go to keep Trump out for good.  And by they I'm not just referring to democrats.

Yes they are Nazis. And you know it. Back in the 30s the Nazis did the same thing in Berlin. Trump wanted a rally near Capitol Hill. Pelosi didn't ask him to do that. Giuliani used words like "trial by combat" Neither Biden nor Romney ask Giuliani to say that.

I never saw Pence, Romney, Sasse or Susan Collins telling Proud Boys "stand back and stand by" 

Nothing would've happened if Trump would never come up with the idea of that rally at that particular location

• Like 2

Gov Abbott of Texas talked today and said they were trying to get millions of covid vaccines for Texas. they also want to set us more vaccine sites.

I saw the doctor from Houston on CNN, he said that anyone that wants the vaccine should be able to get it and stop having all these rules that are confusing everyone including the doctors and nurses. At this rate, it'll take years to get everyone the vaccine.

I've seen people in lines for hours to get the first shot. My parents signed up at 3 different websites for the vaccine. So far they haven't heard anything. This sucks.

Anyway, let's see if anything changes by the end of January.

1 minute ago, Padme said:

Yes they are Nazis. And you know it. Back in the 30s the Nazis did the same thing in Berlin. Trump wanted a rally near Capitol Hill. Pelosi didn't ask him to do that. Giuliani used words like "trial by combat" Neither Biden nor Romney ask Giuliani to say that.

I never saw Pence, Romney, Sasse or Susan Collins telling Proud Boys "stand back and stand by" 

Nothing would've happened if Trump would never come up with the idea of that rally at that particular location

I agree about the Nazis. Also Hitler had many of his opponents killed so he could move up the ladder. If Trump could get away with murder he probably would have. Some of his follwers as we saw are off their rockers, so any little push making it sound like it was the American thing to do, they did. Like I've said before and it's true, no damn common sense and no thinking beyond attacking a US government building without thinking past it. Come on! That's something teenagers do, but adults, should use their common sense and realize it's not a good thing to storm any building especially a government one and think they can go in there and destroy it. What the fuck?

1 hour ago, Swampfox said:

So the court sworn affidavits of some who were in the capitol “at the request of the president” are bullshit? 

Nazi punks fuck off

2 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

So the court sworn affidavits of some who were in the capitol “at the request of the president” are bullshit? 

Nazi punks fuck off

Far be it for me to defend Trump but given the number of bullshit affidavits from people claiming election fraud I’d not be surprised if many of these were also highly dubious. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Nazi punks fuck off

Did you get all jacked up over sworn affidavits by witnesses of voter fraud?  I'll answer for you.  It's a no.  Btw calling Trump supporters nazis is about as weak as calling all Trump supporters racists.

17 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Far be it for me to defend Trump but given the number of bullshit affidavits from people claiming election fraud I’d not be surprised if many of these were also highly dubious. 

Thank you.  Considering all the sworn affidavits were dismissed as bullshit by liberals I think I'll gladly dismiss any and all affidavits against Trump.  Fair is fair right?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Thank you.  Considering all the sworn affidavits were dismissed as bullshit by liberals I think I'll gladly dismiss any and all affidavits against Trump.  Fair is fair right?

Hey, I'm a dick but I'm an equal opportunities dick. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Ok sure.  And if BLM didn't decide to hold rallies in several cities across the country they wouldn't have been destroyed, burned , or looted.  Many of those local businesses wouldn't have been destroyed if BLM didn't have rallies in those areas.  But they were mostly peaceful though right?  So hypocritical.

Yeah, I’m not sure calling Trump supporters who ransacked the Capital Nazis is doing anyone any favours.

Authoritarian asshats?  Sure.

Fascist idiots.  You betcha.

But until they start calling for the extermination of a group of people, probably best to hold off on the nazi label just yet. 

• Like 1

The GOP is weird. It fundamentally caters to racism now but in doing so, the most devoted members are either low income white trash goons or really well off greedy , country clubbing motherfuckers. Idk if it is the general insecure whiteness or false sense of Christianity that accounts for the middle of this fucked up diagram. Probably both. 

21 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

The GOP is weird. It fundamentally caters to racism now but in doing so, the most devoted members are either low income white trash goons or really well off greedy , country clubbing motherfuckers. Idk if it is the general insecure whiteness or false sense of Christianity that accounts for the middle of this fucked up diagram. Probably both. 

I would say the billionaire class is pretty evenly distributed among the two parties nowadays, since the dems took up neoliberalism. 

As far as working class whites leaning republicans, that's true. It's a naturally socially conservative class of people, so it's easy for the republicans to throw red meat cultural issues at them to get their vote. Confounding this is the democrats aren't nearly as strong on economic bread and butter issues as they were in the past, when working class whites votes were more evenly distributed or even leaned democrat sometimes.

8 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Ok sure.  And if BLM didn't decide to hold rallies in several cities across the country they wouldn't have been destroyed, burned , or looted.  Many of those local businesses wouldn't have been destroyed if BLM didn't have rallies in those areas.  But they were mostly peaceful though right?  So hypocritical.

Two wrongs doesn't make it right. And there is a big difference between Capitol Hill and some Macy's store in New York.  No political leader told Antifa or BLM to loot and burn Macy's or other stores. And Bernie Sanders never said trial by combat or anything like it.

It is really sad that you think those Proud Boys did was the right thing.

44 minutes ago, Padme said:

Two wrongs doesn't make it right. And there is a big difference between Capitol Hill and some Macy's store in New York.  No political leader told Antifa or BLM to loot and burn Macy's or other stores. And Bernie Sanders never said trial by combat or anything like it.

It is really sad that you think those Proud Boys did was the right thing.

It wasn't just Macy's. A police station and an entire city block got torched in Minneapolis.

• downzy locked this topic