The US Politics/Elections Thread

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Mate, Belgium and fuckin’ Watford ain’t Belfast in the 80s :lol:  Look, being of swarthy working class persuasion I didn’t exactly have plain sailing teenage/school years but its nothing to fancy yourself over and, more to the point, I can’t imagine its any worse than nowadays.

What?:lol: 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downzy

• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Jefferson, Washington, Lincoln torn down when? I'm not even playing a gotcha game here. Those guys and plenty of other historical figures that weren't confederates could be considered racist too. Should we remove them? Again, honest question.

I think the difference is that you may not like people of color. You may think they are inferior. But that doesn't mean you want them to be your property. Lincoln wanted them to be free. Jefferson had slave mistress. Even if he wanted to free her and marry her. He couldn't. Because not everyone wanted things to be that way.

the beatles are named too. there is some hoo-ha about "penny lane" alledgedly referring to slavery

lol, imagine when the mindless mob discovers "one in a million". Woke Axl won't be able to talk himself out of that one.

it's lunacy, all across the board

Edited by action
39 minutes ago, Padme said:

I think the difference is that you may not like people of color. You may think they are inferior. But that doesn't mean you want them to be your property. Lincoln wanted them to be free. Jefferson had slave mistress. Even if he wanted to free her and marry her. He couldn't. Because not everyone wanted things to be that way.

What? Jefferson and Washington owned slaves and supported a white only immigration policy in 1790. Lincoln was for segregation and I believe he had a preference of Africans going back to Africa. So should they be removed or not?

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

What?:lol: 

The conversation was originally between me and action, neither of whom went to school in a place anywhere as rough as Belfast in the 80s.

Also, being an Asian myself and going to school where I did weren’t exactly smooth sailing but 1) its nothing to make yourself out some sort of hardnut over as action appeared to be doing and 2) there’s rough schools around nowadays too, which was how the discussion began, action saying that the school in the 90s was tough as fuck compared to nowadays.

27 minutes ago, action said:

the beatles are named too. there is some hoo-ha about "penny lane" alledgedly referring to slavery

lol, imagine when the mindless mob discovers "one in a million". Woke Axl won't be able to talk himself out of that one.

it's lunacy, all across the board

Everyone knows about OIAM. And it was widely protested and Axl was mocked back in the day. People resisting racism isnt some new phenomena as you are attempting to paint it as being.

And the Beatless can Get Back.

1 minute ago, soon said:

Everyone knows about OIAM. And it was widely protested and Axl was mocked back in the day. People resisting racism isnt some new phenomena as you are attempting to paint it as being.

You can find instances of racism in all the big bands if you look, whether direct or indirect.

6 minutes ago, soon said:

yes, but "back in the day", the "woke generation", the milennials, weren't really born yet.

you're overestimating the attention span and knowledge of these people (let alone, intelligence).

don't worry, they'll find out soon enough. they're always on the lookout for the next stupid thing to burn to the ground

17 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The conversation was originally between me and action, neither of whom went to school in a place anywhere as rough as Belfast in the 80s.

Also, being an Asian myself and going to school where I did weren’t exactly smooth sailing but 1) its nothing to make yourself out some sort of hardnut over as action appeared to be doing and 2) there’s rough schools around nowadays too, which was how the discussion began, action saying that the school in the 90s was tough as fuck compared to nowadays.

Oh! Well I wasn’t claiming to be a hard nut.... it was more a humorous comment. 

2 minutes ago, action said:

yes, but "back in the day", the "woke generation", the milennials, weren't really born yet.

you're overestimating the attention span and knowledge of these people (let alone, intelligence).

don't worry, they'll find out soon enough. they're always on the lookout for the next stupid thing to burn to the ground

100% agree. Axl better get ready for "round 2" of backlash. 

What? Jefferson and Washington owned slaves and supported a white only immigration policy in 1790. Lincoln was for segregation and I believe he had a preference of Africans going back to Africa. So should they be removed or not?

Don't you see the difference between a monument dedicated to people who revolt against the Constitution and their country. And monuments dedicated to those who created a new nation, those who defended the unity and wanted everyone to be free. Sure, slavery should've ended long before 1861. But events didn't happen that way. Unfortunately blacks didn't get the same rights. And they are still fighting for it today.

18 minutes ago, action said:

Nonsense.

In addition to the mountain of fallacies you are claiming, you are flagrantly ignoring the fact that people in the 80s protested Guns for OIAM. Its really something that you just ignore that and still try to pass an argument that is based on that having not happened :lol:

Youre point is destroyed. 

25 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You can find instances of racism in all the big bands if you look, whether direct or indirect.

Yeah for sure, racism was and is that pervasive that it should come as no surprise to anyone that racism has reared its ugly, punchable, face in all areas of life including rock music.

There are some exceptions though. Allman Bros were a southern band with a black member in the 60s. And the Dead can do no wrong. They are the real life Bill and Ted who's songs can serve as humanities guiding light, lol.

Tonight the Dead are doing a fundraiser for NAACPs legal defence fund. Last weeks was ACLU and a serious discussion on racism. And this isnt new, they have been supporting Indigenous Justice and eco initiatives through their charity since the early 70s :headbang:They even played a Black Panther rally in the 60's. :axl:

Edited by soon
1 minute ago, Padme said:

Don't you see the difference between a monument dedicated to people who revolt against the Constitution and their country. And monuments dedicated to those who created a new nation, those who defended the unity and wanted everyone to be free. Sure, slavery should've ended long before 1861. But events didn't happen that way. Unfortunately blacks didn't get the same rights. And they are still fighting for it today.

the thing is: where will it end? pick any statue, ever build, and you can readily find people who will be offended by it.

you can't get a statue without having success in life. you can't have success without taking more than you give. 

it doesn't stop with statues either, it never stops; period. if you think of it, there is nothing in this world, apart from water and air, that doesn't offend at least some people.

this is all really about accepting that some people have more success than you. it's fundamentally about jealousy (not about racism; we're well past that issue with stuff like "penny lane" and "fawlty towers"). they made a mockery out of a genuine issue (racism) faster than Axl getting mad at security. increasingly, we live in an individualist society with no tolerance to other people and opinions, whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, Padme said:

So your answer is that no, those guys monuments should stay? Again, Jefferson and Washington owned slaves and supported white only immigration. It's actually early American propaganda that they were for everybody's freedom and wanted a multiracial nation.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan
6 minutes ago, soon said:

Nonsense.

In addition to the mouton of fallacies you are claiming, you are flagrantly ignoring the fact that people in the 80s protested Guns for OIAM. Its really something that you just ignore that and still try to pass an argument that is based on that having not happened :lol:

Youre point is destroyed. 

cool. where is their time machine that the milennials used? I wanna go back to 1987 too, and attend the ritz concert

15 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Oh! Well I wasn’t claiming to be a hard nut.... it was more a humorous comment. 

No worries, I didn’t mean you, I was just addressing the original argument.  So...you’re a Bobby Sands eh?  What was that like?  

17 minutes ago, action said:

cool. where is their time machine that the milennials used? I wanna go back to 1987 too, and attend the ritz concert

ok x'er

Whats your generation known for again? ... Nothing? :shrugs: Making movies about yourselves sitting around, moaning and complaining but doing nothing (High Fidelity, Kevin Smith films, The Slacker,)? Collecting every cheap and gaudy hollywood blockbuster cross-promotion McDonalds happy meal toy? Fucking off on the environment? Killing rock and roll? Lapping up Sixteen Candles mindlessly? :lol:

Edited by soon

So your answer is that no, those guys monuments should stay? Again, Jefferson and Washington owned slaves and supported white only immigration. It's actually early American propaganda that they were for everybody's freedom and wanted a multiracial nation.

Of course, because I don't think Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln are like Robert E. Lee or Jefferson Davis. If for you they are the same shit with different smell. We just have to agree to disagree

Edited by Padme
13 minutes ago, Padme said:

Of course, because I don't think Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln are like Robert E. Lee or Jefferson Davis. If for you they are the same shit with different smell. We just have to agree to disagree

You know that wouldn't be woke enough for the ascendant cultural revolution occurring. I'd actually be fine with taking them down. I'm of the the opinion that they should just do it all now, because I can already see where this is eventually going.

5 hours ago, downzy said:

While I have little interest in hearing Bolton's views on foreign policy, I would be interested in hearing his take on what transpired in the White House during his time as National Security Advisor.  

Incompetence, Chaos, and Corruption.

Now pay me $22.75 :lol:

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, soon said:

ok x'er

Whats your generation known for again? ... Nothing? :shrugs: Making movies about yourselves sitting around, moaning and complaining but doing nothing (High Fidelity, Kevin Smith films, The Slacker,)? Collecting every cheap and gaudy hollywood blockbuster cross-promotion McDonalds happy meal toy? Fucking off on the environment? Killing rock and roll? Lapping up Sixteen Candles mindlessly? :lol:

To be fair to x'ers, a lot of the cultural touchstones created for each generation is actually created (thought of, financed, directed/produced) by the previous generation and by a small class of people at that. 

9 hours ago, action said:

he's probably seeing it coming already. he's not the smartest, but he sure ain't stupid

He should probably release the new guns album before he gets cancelled!

"freedom of speech" has been replaced with "obligation of speech"

also, in addition to political correctness, now they've invented historical correctness.

Edited by action
  • downzy changed the title to The US Politics/Elections Thread
  • downzy locked this topic