The US Politics/Elections Thread

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Many of the left do denounce flag burnings and lawlessness.  I provided a specificities example.  You respond with a red herring.

With respect to mass protests, the clear and apparent injustice of the Floyd murder that is indicative of a larger problem needed an immediate response regardless of the pandemic.  And as many have noted, protests occurred outside and most who attended wore masks.  And it doesn't seem to have affected the infected rates, as many states who saw massive protests are not seeing drastic upticks in infections.  

The actions say different things, don't they?

What exactly are you saying when you burn a BLM or rainbow flag?  That you hate black people and members of the LGBTQ community and their fights to be treated equally under the law?

While I don't necessarily agree with flag burning it's not the worst thing to get upset about.  Those who burn their nation's flags often do so to voice their disagreement with a specific injustice or problem.  When Kapernick kneeled during the anthem, it was always clear it was to protest police brutality against communities of colour. 

But I suppose this kind of nuance is probably lost on someone like yourself.  

The actions say different things yes.  If burning a BLM flag says "I hate black people" and burning a gay flag says "I hate gay people" then I'd say burning the American flag says "I hate all Americans".  Blacks and gays are AMERICANS.  The United States flag is the flag for ALL Americans.  People who burn the flag are ignorant and disrespectful.  And as far as Kapernick goes, the guy showed how much he cares for the cause when he took his payoff from the NFL.  

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downzy

• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Swampfox said:

The actions say different things yes.  If burning a BLM flag says "I hate black people" and burning a gay flag says "I hate gay people" then I'd say burning the American flag says "I hate all Americans".  Blacks and gays are AMERICANS.  The United States flag is the flag for ALL Americans.  People who burn the flag are ignorant and disrespectful.  And as far as Kapernick goes, the guy showed how much he cares for the cause when he took his payoff from the NFL.  

The US flag has been burned by all different types of people for all different types of reasons.

The truth is closer to the exact opposite of what you're saying as far as who the flag represents. It's becoming the flag that represents no one, because America is becoming an incoherent nation. 

The best burn on America isn't to burn it's flag, it's to fly the flag that has corporate logos in place of the stars.

• Like 1

The US flag represents all Muricans, even the savages who's land is being colonized by the flag. It represents all the poor and disenfranchised who were sent to die in the name of Happy Meals and Mustangs. Its the flag of the most incarcerated population in the history of the world. Its the flag of George Floyd. Of Heather Heyer. Trump should spill some of their blood on a flag and then he can go around touching all his Brown Shirts with it.

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Trump is retreating from the WHO. What an absolute moron. 

The official withdrawal takes place next year. Trump may not be around anymore. I'm sure Biden and people in his administration have other plans. 

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

That’s not what she says. 

Just saw the above on the main page and entered this thread expecting it to be a knob gag. You disappoint me. :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Democrats truly hate america

What she actually says here is "... dismantling the whole system of oppression, wherever we find it." Can you think of anything more un-American than dismantling systems of oppression?!?! Makes me f'n sick to my stomach just thinking about it. :nervous::lol:

But, had this lie you posted have been true, this is how I would have smacked down that statement,

1) Trump received votes from people hoping he'd dismantle DACA and ACA. "Drain the swamp" seems to be literal-swamp-dweller-speak for 'change everything about how DC operates.' By your logic, Trump and MAGAs hate America.

2) Abolishing slavery was done by dismantling the economic and political systems that supported the enslavement of Indigenous and African peoples. By your logic, that was un-American.

3) Its incredible to me that the end of the political spectrum that is far more likely to talk about and champion Amendments like I & 2, simultaneously views any changes to the system as a a form of hatred against USA. :lol:

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Democrats truly hate america

I'm so glad she left her great country and gave up her freedom to come here and fix our country.  We need more refugees like her to come solve our problems.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:07 PM, downzy said:

Many of the left do denounce flag burnings and lawlessness.  I provided a specificities example.  You respond with a red herring.

With respect to mass protests, the clear and apparent injustice of the Floyd murder that is indicative of a larger problem needed an immediate response regardless of the pandemic.  And as many have noted, protests occurred outside and most who attended wore masks.  And it doesn't seem to have affected the infected rates, as many states who saw massive protests are not seeing drastic upticks in infections.  

The actions say different things, don't they?

What exactly are you saying when you burn a BLM or rainbow flag?  That you hate black people and members of the LGBTQ community and their fights to be treated equally under the law?

While I don't necessarily agree with flag burning it's not the worst thing to get upset about.  Those who burn their nation's flags often do so to voice their disagreement with a specific injustice or problem.  When Kapernick kneeled during the anthem, it was always clear it was to protest police brutality against communities of colour. 

But I suppose this kind of nuance is probably lost on someone like yourself.  

On 7/6/2020 at 3:35 PM, Swampfox said:

Just chiming  in.  As far as flag burning goes, they don’t do themselves any favors by burning the US Flag.  If anything, any movement or group that burns the US Flag will probably lose credibility with close to 90% of the country.  (Maybe more).

What they don’t get is that although you might have half the country supporting and/or respecting your cause, once you burn the Flag you have officially become an anarchist in the vast majority of the country’s eyes.  So go ahead, burn the Flag and see how fast your support sinks. 

11 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

I'm so glad she left her great country and gave up her freedom to come here and fix our country.

^^ You know that this sentence doesnt make any sense, right? Its not clear - grammatically nor logically - what "freedom" you are saying she "gave up."

She maintains all her freedoms, so its a mute point regardless of where your error lays.

Im happy that your fellow american is fixing your shithole country too.

56 minutes ago, soon said:

^^ You know that this sentence doesnt make any sense, right? Its not clear - grammatically nor logically - what "freedom" you are saying she "gave up."

She maintains all her freedoms, so its a mute point regardless of where your error lays.

Im happy that your fellow american is fixing your shithole country too.

Are you dyslexic?  Your post sure is.  Too busy insulting my grammer to proof read your own post?  Omar came here for a better life but wants to change the system that she thrived in.  Her hate of this country is obvious as is yours.  Sorry in advance if I used any improper grammer.

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

Just chiming  in.  As far as flag burning goes, they don’t do themselves any favors by burning the US Flag.  If anything, any movement or group that burns the US Flag will probably lose credibility with close to 90% of the country.  (Maybe more).

What they don’t get is that although you might have half the country supporting and/or respecting your cause, once you burn the Flag you have officially become an anarchist in the vast majority of the country’s eyes.  So go ahead, burn the Flag and see how fast your support sinks. 

I don’t necessarily disagree, but there’s two problems with @Swampfox’s logic. First, he equates the burning of the US flag as equivalent to burning a BLM or Gay Pride flag. The problem is the US flags is a symbol for the country as a whole, both the good and the bad.  It can mean many different things. While we can agree that burning a US flag isn’t going to help in the PR department to a population that doesn’t understand this nuance, I think it’s obvious that burning of a BLM or Pride flag isn’t as broad of a statement. It can only be interpreted as an expression of hate towards black people asking for equality and the demands of gay people to be recognized and accepted. 

The other problem here is I haven’t seen any American flag burning during the BLM protests. I’m not saying that there haven’t been one or two, but without pointing to any real examples of providing proof that such a gesture is indicative of the movement as a whole, it’s a useless comparison and discussion. 

17 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Omar came here for a better life but wants to change the system that she thrived in.

Because she’s the first immigrant from another country to want to improve her now host country. I forgot, where on the citizenship form does it state that new citizens must not complain and ergo loses their first amendment rights when it comes to American politics. 

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

Just saw the above on the main page and entered this thread expecting it to be a knob gag. You disappoint me. :lol: 

Then my day is complete! 

17 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Are you dyslexic?  Your post sure is.

Its not clear to me just what you think dyslexia is. But it is clear to me that there is no reason to use a common diagnosis that some people might struggle with as some sort of an insult. Thats gross.

20 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Her hate of this country is obvious as is yours.

... Someones hatred is obvious, thats for sure. :lol:

21 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Omar came here for a better life but wants to change the system that she thrived in.

^^ You are stating this claim based off of silent jays post that was not based in fact.

This fear of change that you admit to here is really something, though. Conversely, it sounds like Omar is strong enough to thrive with so much unfortunate changes having happened in her life. 

26 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Too busy insulting my grammer to proof read your own post?

26 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Sorry in advance if I used any improper grammer.

^^ I criticized both your grammar and your logic. I see you have only mounted a defence of your grammar. :P

• Like 1
6 hours ago, downzy said:

I forgot, where on the citizenship form does it state that new citizens must not complain and ergo loses their first amendment rights when it comes to American politics. 

No, this is absolutely the case which is why Ted Cruz fucked off back to Canada ages ago and absolutely hasn’t been bitching about the Affordable Care Act for the last ten years. Keep up mate. :lol:   

Edited by Dazey
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Dazey said:

No, this is absolutely the case which is why Ted Cruz fucked off back to Canada ages ago and absolutely hasn’t been bitching about the Affordable Care Act for the last ten years. Keep up mate. :lol:   

You’re absolutely right! 

How could I be so wrong?

13 hours ago, downzy said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but there’s two problems with @Swampfox’s logic. First, he equates the burning of the US flag as equivalent to burning a BLM or Gay Pride flag. The problem is the US flags is a symbol for the country as a whole, both the good and the bad.  It can mean many different things. While we can agree that burning a US flag isn’t going to help in the PR department to a population that doesn’t understand this nuance, I think it’s obvious that burning of a BLM or Pride flag isn’t as broad of a statement. It can only be interpreted as an expression of hate towards black people asking for equality and the demands of gay people to be recognized and accepted. 

The other problem here is I haven’t seen any American flag burning during the BLM protests. I’m not saying that there haven’t been one or two, but without pointing to any real examples of providing proof that such a gesture is indicative of the movement as a whole, it’s a useless comparison and discussion. 

Pretty sure they burned some flags during the Seattle “no police” zone thing.  By the end of that social experiment, the majority of the country thought they were loonies.  So that’s, that. 

As far as burning any other type of flag, I also do not think it does anyone any favors.  What’s the point, other than to further instigate and divide?   There’s so much division and animosity in this country right now, no need to make things worse than what they are.  None of that stuff makes any sense to me. 

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Pretty sure they burned some flags during the Seattle “no police” zone thing.  By the end of that social experiment, the majority of the country thought they were loonies.  So that’s, that. 

As far as burning any other type of flag, I also do not think it does anyone any favors.  What’s the point, other than to further instigate and divide?   There’s so much division and animosity in this country right now, no need to make things worse than what they are.  None of that stuff makes any sense to me. 

Practically speaking there's little viable justification, is there?  In terms of the furtherance of ones cause anyway, unless your cause is outright revolution.  I suppose someone might argue 'it is symbolize the negative things its come to represent', which is kinda weak as an idea firstly and secondly, people don't look at this shit like a piece of performance art, they ain't looking to intepret shit, its taken as a direct attack, which I guess it is in many ways.

That said, I could imagine why a black person would want to burn the American flag...but even then said black person would do well to address the dilemma of 'what do I want from America?'.  Obviously the right to live and express oneself unmolested, to not get killed on the street etc.  Does that entail razing it to the ground though?  Thats a tall order.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

I know it's not US related but on the subject of burning flags there was an incident in the UK in the midst of the Brexit fiasco where a bunch Brexiter idiots tried to burn an EU flag in protest. Turned out that they couldn't because EU regulations require flags to be made of fire retardant materials. :lol:

• Haha 1

Burning a flag seems like pure Americana to me. Like apple pie. 

Murica likes BBQ.

Murica likes flames...

Murica likes the smell of gasoline.

murica wants to keep burning them fossil fuels.

it likes the flame shooting out the back of drag racers. And out the end of an assault rifle.

Its the “rockets red glare.” Murica loves fireworks for the months in June and July to celebrate the 4th - that is, to celebrate winning a cannon war.

murica loved their fire side chats. And they love to hear a douche say the word “fired.”

Murica famously incinerated unspeakable 1000s of innocent civilians in the name of peace.

between the KKKs burning crosses and Minneapolis’s burning Targets, one would come to expect that race issues will be resolved via smoke signaling.

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Does that entail razing it to the ground though?  Thats a tall order.

One way to look at things...if you drive a Ferrari and get a flat tire...do you burn it down or do you change the tire?

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Its the “rockets red glare.” Murica loves fireworks for the months in June and July to celebrate the 4th 

My biggest regret from this past 4th of July is the fact that I didn't get enough fireworks.  You sort of forget how fun they are until you light the first mortar, it launches 150 feet in the air and lights up the night sky over the entire neighborhood.  :lol:

• downzy changed the title to The US Politics/Elections Thread
  • downzy locked this topic