US Politics/Elections Thread

22 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Speaking of bias, does anyone think anything will come out of the Senate subpoenaing the Twitter CEO next week?

Twitter made a terrible call of judgment that they should answer for. Perhaps the Hunter stuff will prove to be bullshit, but the standard they applied to that NY Post article would never be applied to stories leaning in the opposite direction. It hasn't in the past. They really give conservatives ammo when they do shit like this.

For all the complaining from the right about Big Tech bias, I would like to see them propose some solutions. Maybe (big maybe) this is the beginning of a movement in that direction.

Even if the Hunter Biden thing is true, it's just one thing.  When it comes to Trump we have Russia, Stormy Daniels, Epstein, tax avoidance, support for white supremacist,his admiration for dictators around the world, COVID lies and the list goes on and on

• Like 1
  • Replies 27.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downzy

• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Speaking of bias, does anyone think anything will come out of the Senate subpoenaing the Twitter CEO next week?

Twitter made a terrible call of judgment that they should answer for. Perhaps the Hunter stuff will prove to be bullshit, but the standard they applied to that NY Post article would never be applied to stories leaning in the opposite direction. It hasn't in the past. They really give conservatives ammo when they do shit like this.

For all the complaining from the right about Big Tech bias, I would like to see them propose some solutions. Maybe (big maybe) this is the beginning of a movement in that direction.

To your first question, nothing will come of the Senate subpoenas.  It's political theatre to try and make social media the boogeyman and divert attention away from, and possibly place blame for, the likely Republican losses come November 3rd.

To the question of whether Twitter should be made to answer for their decision, I don't agree. It's one thing to believe what they did was fair or wrong, but the truth is they are a private company and they can run their platform as they see fit.  They are not a public utility.  Section 230(c)(2) provides protections from civil liability to sites like Twitter, Facebook, and I guess even a forum like this one.  It makes no legal requirements that Twitter can't regulate or moderate content as it sees fit.  To make this point clear: hate speech is protected under the first amendment but Twitter and other platforms (like this one) are within their rights to ban any and all speech since these are essentially private forums.  

The action of moderation does not in any way invalidate Twitter's 230 legal protections.  As such, it's within its legal rights to restrict any speech that it deems is a violation of any stated policy (or any speech it arbitrarily chooses to restrict).  

If Twitter was a government provided service like the Post Office then it would be subject to first amendment concerns of its users.  But it's not, hence it can do whatever it wants and if people don't like it they can use a different service.  Unless Congress chooses to re-write the laws relating to telecommunications, it has no authority to compel Twitter or any social media or internet platform to act any differently.  

On the fairness issue, I dispute the notion that the Hunter story was singled out solely because of its partisan effect on the election. It would have been one thing had the NY Post limited its reporting to what Giuliani provided them.  It becomes something else when they chose to publish the materials that contained private information like phone numbers and email addresses that were derived through hacked methods.  People like to bring up the NY Times reporting on Trump's tax information as a point of contrast or hypocrisy.  But the Times never actually published the tax returns themselves that would have included private identifiable information.  You might not see a difference, but I do.  

The second issue around all of this is that social media companies were hit hard after 2016 for being complicit in the Russian efforts to undermine the 2016 election.  It is indisputable that the Russians were instrumental in flooding the social media zone with a lot of horse shit but also stolen materials from the Clinton campaign.  Both the Mueller Report and the most recent Senate Intelligence report make this very clear.  The question at this point for Twitter, Facebook, and other social media platforms is whether they want to risk allowing a repeat of 2016.  

Some or all of the emails might very well be real, but considering Trump was already advised by his NSC advisor in 2019 that Giuliani was already compromised by the Russians with respect to his efforts in Ukraine, how much credence are you going to give him?  It's also being reported that Steve Bannon also claimed to have access to Hunter's hard drive (the same Steve Bannon who is business partners with and was arrested in the presence of Guo Wengui, who had boasted having hard drives obtained by Chinese officials).  There's a deep rabbit whole we could go down.  The owner of the computer repair shop has changed his story multiple times.  Guiliani has now backtracked and said he can't be certain whether the files came from Hunter's laptop or whether they were hacked.  We know that in 2017 Russians included false documents within the large illegally gained email dump in an attempt to sway the French elections.  We know the FBI is currently investigating the computers that supposedly held the emails and photos as a foreign intelligence matter.

All of this is not to say that what Twitter did was right.  It all depends on what you want out of your social media platforms going forward with respect to enabling foreign actors to sway domestic elections.  If you don't think there's anything wrong with what the Russians are doing or did, then it makes sense to say that Twitter fucked up and as a result the US should change its liable laws that renders Twitter and other platforms as publishers, responsible for every bit of content on their platforms.  

But if you feel Twitter, Facebook and others have a responsibility to do what they can to thwart or limit the actions of bad actors, then how do you fault them in this case?  Moreover, if you think imposing responsibility on Twitter for every bit of content is a good thing, then be prepared for a very different twitter or other social media platforms.  This is what I find amusing by some of the conservatives bemoaning this issue.  Do you honestly think Trump would be allowed to tweet if Twitter was rendered a publisher and required under law to ensure the validity of his tweets?  Trump would be one of the first to go under that new paradigm.  

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

What I would have liked to know is why do they care if kids want to be another gender? I want to challenge them to try to investigate why that bothers them so much. How does it matter to them if an 8-year old crossdresses or insists on having another name? Who are the victims here? I don't care what the outcome of the discussion in terms of who posts the funniest reply or makes the most sense or gets the last word, I just want them to think and go, "why does it matter to me?". 

Because being transgender shouldn't be encouraged or normalized.  There's something wrong with thinking you're a girl when you have balls.  But somehow people like myself who think there's only two genders is the one who has the problem?  If my opinion on this offends then so be it.  Having a transgender in my family wouldn't change my view either.

1 hour ago, Swampfox said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8623781/Kamala-Harris-affair-San-Franciscos-black-mayor-Willie-Brown.html

After hearing about Kamala's staffer testing positive for covid-19 it dawned on me that she could be a super spreader.  Just like she was back in the 90s to advance her career.

You seem nice. 

2 hours ago, Swampfox said:

But somehow people like myself who think there's only two genders is the one who has the problem? 

Seems like it? And the thing is, if no one had any problem with it, but let that kid dress the way he wanted, then everything would be okay. There would be no victims and the kid would be happy. But apparently that is too much to ask for. So again, why is it a problem to you? 

Edited by SoulMonster
12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Seems like it? And the thing is, if no one had any problem with it, but let that kid dress the way he wanted, then everything would be okay. There would be no victims and the kid would be happy. But apparently that is too much to ask for. So again, why is it a problem to you? 

I have two daughters.  When Obama was President there was a push for transgender bathroom rights.  Not just for a guy that mutilated his dick to become a woman but also bathroom rights for a man who "identifies" as a woman.  This is how far this bullshit gets pushed.  It becomes normalized and next thing you know our liberal former President is worrying about what bathroom people can use.  Then it started in schools.  At what point do we as a society stop worrying about the little boy that wants to be a little girl and start asking whether little girls are comfortable with boys being in their bathroom or locker room.  If you don't get where I'm coming from I don't know what else to say to you.

7 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Huge crowd of peaceful protesters at Trump's rally in Georgia right now.  Huge crowds earlier in Florida.  All peaceful and mostly wearing maga masks.  

Yes in Georgia, that's says a lot. I mean I don't see Biden hosting a rally in Massachusetts nor in Connecticut. But Trump felt he needed to go to Georgia? Is he that scared? That desperate? LOL!!!

7 hours ago, Swampfox said:

I have two daughters.  When Obama was President there was a push for transgender bathroom rights.  Not just for a guy that mutilated his dick to become a woman but also bathroom rights for a man who "identifies" as a woman.  This is how far this bullshit gets pushed.  It becomes normalized and next thing you know our liberal former President is worrying about what bathroom people can use.  Then it started in schools.  At what point do we as a society stop worrying about the little boy that wants to be a little girl and start asking whether little girls are comfortable with boys being in their bathroom or locker room.  If you don't get where I'm coming from I don't know what else to say to you.

So you call kids who want to dress as a different gender "bat shit crazy" because you are uncomfortable with the thought of unisex toilets?

I think I am starting to get where you are coming from now. Thank you. Could it be Loonietown? Or Bigotville? City of White Males so Unsure of their Own Masculinity They Can't Cope with the Thought of Boys Dressing as Girls?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

So you call kids who want to dress as a different gender "bat shit crazy" because you are uncomfortable with the thought of unisex toilets?

I think I am starting to get where you are coming from now. Thank you. Could it be Loonietown? Or Bigotville? City of White Males so Unsure of their Own Masculinity They Can't Cope with the Thought of Boys Dressing as Girls?

I'm fine with unisex toilets as long as they don't put extra cubicles where the urinals are. Because seriously, fuck that! :lol: 

35 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'm fine with unisex toilets as long as they don't put extra cubicles where the urinals are. Because seriously, fuck that! :lol: 

I don't really like them. But if they came as a natural result of being kind to kids who explore transgenderism -- and they won't because there is absolutely no causal link there! -- then so be it.

Jeez, grown-up men attacking kids because they just want to be another gender. Not that long ago we had men attacking gays because they just wanted to be themselves. Men attacking women because they dared to break out of the confines of patriarchal society. Whites attacking blacks because they asked to be treated equally. And now grown-ass men attacking kids because they are afraid of having to use unisex toilets (!). Of all the pathetic and weak things I have read this week... None of these groups would have had any problems - gays wouldn't have had to come out to begin with, blacks wouldn't have had to demand what was rightfully theirs, women wouldn't have had to fight for equality - if it weren't for such men holding them down and holding them back, just because they are so weak and uncomfortable with themselves, such snowflakes, that they can't stand having to see others shine a bit, others take what is rightfully theirs, others living out their lives that hurt no one. Unisex toilets :lol: Get over yourself, @Swampfox

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't really like them. But if they came as a natural result of being kind to kids who explore transgenderism -- and they won't because there is absolutely no causal link there! -- then so be it.

Jeez, grown-up men attacking kids because they just want to be another gender. Not that long ago we had men attacking gays because they just wanted to be themselves. Men attacking women because they dared to break out of the confines of patriarchal society. Whites attacking blacks because they asked to be treated equally. And now grown-ass men attacking kids because they are afraid of having to use unisex toilets (!). Of all the pathetic and weak things I have read this week... None of these groups would have had any problems - gays wouldn't have had to come out to begin with, blacks wouldn't have had to demand what was rightfully theirs, women wouldn't have had to fight for equality - if it weren't for such men holding them down and holding them back, just because they are so weak and uncomfortable with themselves, such snowflakes, that they can't stand having to see others shine a bit, others take what is rightfully theirs, others living out their lives that hurt no one. Unisex toilets :lol: Get over yourself, @Swampfox

Ok so you think I'm a bigot because I don't want my daughters or my wife sharing bathrooms with boys and grown men who "identify" as women.  Don't you think the girls might be a little uncomfortable being alone in a bathroom and some guy walks in?  This is a rapist's wet dream having a right to follow a girl into a bathroom because he now can use the bathroom he feels comfortable using.  You're logic is ass backwards.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Padme said:

Yes in Georgia, that's says a lot. I mean I don't see Biden hosting a rally in Massachusetts nor in Connecticut. But Trump felt he needed to go to Georgia? Is he that scared? That desperate? LOL!!!

Trump only won Georgia by 5 points in 2016.  The states you mentioned are easy layups for Biden.

12 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Ok so you think I'm a bigot because I don't want my daughters or my wife sharing bathrooms with boys and grown men who "identify" as women.  Don't you think the girls might be a little uncomfortable being alone in a bathroom and some guy walks in?  This is a rapist's wet dream having a right to follow a girl into a bathroom because he now can use the bathroom he feels comfortable using.  You're logic is ass backwards.  

Don't your womenfolk shit in the cubicles? 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

2 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Trump only won Georgia by 5 points in 2016.  The states you mentioned are easy layups for Biden.

The last Democrat to win Georgia was Clinton in 1992 and by a hair

Just realized that its not safe to go in mens washrooms because there are men who rape men. And boys cant go in the mens room because there are pedophiles who prey on boys.

Youd have to be ass backwards to ever use a washroom.

Im just gonna carry a bedpan and a privacy muumuu so I can shit in parking lots where liberal sex maniacs cant get at me.

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, downzy said:

Giuliani admits he doesn't know, and doesn't care, whether the info he received about Biden came from Russia:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rudy-giuliani-says-theres-only-5050-chance-i-worked-with-a-russian-spy-to-dig-dirt-on-bidens?ref=home

Giuliani doesn't know his ass from his elbow. This whole Hunter Biden story is so convoluted and ludicrous at this point

Hunter Biden is living in L.A. And he goes to Delaware to repair the computer? The guy at the repair shop is legaly blind. I don't know how he can still manage repair computers

On top of that Hunter Biden seems to forget all about his fuckin computer. The blind guy found emails while reparing. He called the FBI. The FBI took the computer and mails. He never heard from the FBI again. But he made a copy of the mails. And he calls Giuliani? Is he a friend of Giuliani or something?

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Giuliani doesn't know his ass from his elbow. This whole Hunter Biden story is so convoluted and ludicrous at this point

Hunter Biden is living in L.A. And he goes to Delaware to repair the computer? The guy at the repair shop is legaly blind. I don't know how he can still manage repair computers

On top of that Hunter Biden seems to forget all about his fuckin computer. The blind guy found emails while reparing. He called the FBI. The FBI took the computer and mails. He never heard from the FBI again. But he made a copy of the mails. And he calls Giuliani? Is he a friend of Giuliani or something?

Yeah, see my post from the last page where a guy in four tweets lays bear how insane this story is. 

———————————————————-

I think this is the biggest challenge facing Trump going into the last two weeks of the election:

We could very well see the US hitting 100k new cases per day, with northern swing states getting particularly hammered. 

Trump and Pence keep saying the US is turning the corner on Covid. How is that going to gel when many states will be shattering daily case and hospitalization records come election day?

• downzy changed the title to 2020 US Election Prediction Contest