US Politics/Elections Thread

43 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it's funny to see the Trump supporters coming out of the woodworks now...

but i am not going to be a hypocrite and say i was a Hillary supporter. i had no dog in this fight and they both were not worthy of running this country IMO. but what does it say when the most powerful country in the world chooses these two as the choices?

Coming out now because we're not concerned about being called racist, xenophobic, or misogynist anymore. We won. 

• Replies 27.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downzy

• Dazey

• soon

• Georgy Zhukov

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

That sounds like a bullshit platitude to me :shrugs:

Well Im sorry that you hate old people. Thats a common reflex these days. When the british people voted in favor of brexit people were trying to paint the election as flawed because mostly older people were voting for it. Like the concerns and sorrows of older people dont count. When you get older you have more to loose and monetary and culturally. It makes perfectly sense that you want to keep that and carry it further to the next generation . 

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

why were you concerned before

Not so much concerned as more like couldn't be bothered trying to explain why I'm not something I've been labeled to someone who wouldn't listen. 

Edited by luciusfunk

I guess all of this Trump vs. Hillary is temporary and people have more things to concern about in their daily lives.

The business is going too slow, haven't paid the rent since April, there is hardly any income, have to pay salaries, family is eating up my brain asking for money even though I keep on telling them that there is hardly any income. Bringing home no money means no Groceries, no basic items. 

So thats a stressful thing and many people have similar things on in their lives, Trump or Hillary won't help them or me. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

In germany we have a saying that when youre young and not liberal/left you have no heart. And when youre old without being right/conservative you have no brain.

And its true . When you are young its easy to talk about redistribution of wealth since most young folks dont have any money. But when you are getting older build a house have a couple of kids a hobby things start to look different. young people can deal better with changing surroundings than older people.

Again, if you study voting patterns, at least in the US, that's not accurate.  It's a myth.  

Trump's gameplan leading up to the last stretch of the race was masterful, deceiving the media and opponents to make Nevada and New Hampshire the must-have battleground states while Trump took a big chunk of the blue rust belt (Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin) right under their noses by bringing out the blue collar vote

People will be looking at this election for decades to come

8 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Voting based on historic familiarity is not the same as having changing opinions on a given matter as time goes by.

True, but if you examine the exhausted studies by the American National Election Studies run out of Michigan University, it clearly reveals how most voters (I believe it's around 75 percent if I recall correctly) do not change their party affiliation or their voting preferences as they get older.  It's been five years since I studied all of this, but the data did surprise me when I first came across it because I too use to believe that people became more conservative as they got older.  

27 minutes ago, downzy said:

True, but if you examine the exhausted studies by the American National Election Studies run out of Michigan University, it clearly reveals how most voters (I believe it's around 75 percent if I recall correctly) do not change their party affiliation or their voting preferences as they get older.  It's been five years since I studied all of this, but the data did surprise me when I first came across it because I too use to believe that people became more conservative as they got older.  

The issue is that people tend to stick with their first political party due to social identity, as being a "Republican" or "Democrat" becomes a part of who people tend to identify themselves as, much in the same way that people identify themselves as a fan of a particular sports franchise. The issue then, is that if people change their personal views as they get older, they are unlikely to change their political affiliation despite perhaps no longer holding personal beliefs that align with their chosen party's values.

4 hours ago, DaBreeze said:

agreed, and it would be the right thing to do, let her go be a Grandma in peace, politically she is done. And I doubt big donors will be dumping tons of cash into the foundation ;) so that endeavor may be over too. She should find a rocking chair and some knitting. She may not need Bill and his clout anymore either, so maybe look for that relationship to take a sudden turn for the worse.

• If you believe the Clinton's do not have anymore political influence after last nights loss you really have no clue how our political system functions. Many Politicians here get into politics so they can cash in on the connections they have after they leave office....considering the high offices they both held the Clinton's will continue to make bank on there political connections as long as they live.....;)
5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I dont give a fuck myself, ain't gonna make naff all difference to my life, i always feel detached from politics in that way, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with me.

Can you not empathise with other people who are affected though...? you mentioned Tony Blair and G.W. Bush. Their election made naff all difference to the lives of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis until the bombs started to fall on Baghdad and Basra. David Cameron's election might have cancelled Dies's Japanese class, might have made a few of my Uni lecturers redundant, but that's a drop in the ocean in comparison to the thousands of people on disability benefits who were declared "fit for work" or Job Seekers Allowance claimants who were "sanctioned" and ended up dead through health complications or killed themselves because the system that was supposed to be there to help them penalised and humiliated them until they had nowhere left to turn. Hasn't directly affected me much but it's not right, so it still makes me upset and angry...

@PappyTron, well if Trump, according to his current unrealistic plan, successfully siphons off the untold billions of Mexican tax dollars required for his magnificent wall then the public infrastructure of Mexican society will be even more underfunded than it currently is, which will push a larger proportion of the population below the line of financial desperation that results in a desire to up sticks and move illegally to the USA in the first place. It's not addressing the root cause of the problem, it's trying to stop someone bleeding out with an elastoplast.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Graeme said:

well if Trump, according to his current unrealistic plan, successfully siphons off the untold billions of Mexican tax dollars required for his magnificent wall then the public infrastructure of Mexican society will be even more underfunded than it currently is, which will push a larger proportion of the population below the line of financial desperation that results in a desire to up sticks and move illegally to the USA in the first place. It's not addressing the root cause of the problem, it's trying to stop someone bleeding out with an elastoplast.

It isn't America's job to fix financial inequality in Mexico; that's a job for the Mexican government, and it isn't fair to use the fact that some people don't have a wonderful life as an excuse for their illegal behaviour..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PappyTron said:

It isn't America's job to fix financial inequality in Mexico; that's a job for the Mexican government, and it isn't fair to use the fact that some people don't have a wonderful life as an excuse for their illegal behaviour..

It certainly isn't fair to take money away from the taxpayers who do live, work and contribute in Mexico (i.e. the vast majority of Mexicans) to mitigate against the actions of individuals who choose to enter the US illegally. Trump has no mandate to access that money.

Was listening to David Frum (former speech writer for W. Bush) on the radio today.  He made an interesting point:

- if you think the pay-to-play scandal surrounding the Clintons was bad, just wait until Trump becomes President.  He figures Trump will rake in hundreds of millions, if not billions, through his real estate company.  We'll likely see numerous Trump buildings being built in countries with despotic or autocratic rulers who want to curry favour with the President of the United States.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

well like i said i had no dog in this fight. were you a Trump supporter from the get go?

Not until it got to the primaries. I can't stand Ted Cruz and electing Jeb Bush would be like electing Billy Carter. I liked Rubio back in 12, thought he should have run with Romney, but he became too much of Cruz'a lackey.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, toroymoi said:

If electing Trump has shown anything, it's that white supremacy is more prevalent than decent people thought, and it's staggering how little care people have for the groups I mentioned at the start of this post.

I disagree, but I'm not American so take this with a grain of salt. I would say that electing Trump doesn't actually say much about the negative qualities of the general public, more that it reflects just how poorly the Democrats handled this election. They not only chose, but forced upon the people a candidate whom many have repeatedly rejected, and Trump was the alternative to a status quo that has evidently failed. Add to that the unbelievable hypocrisy and name-calling (Republican voters were 'racist', 'sexist', etc. / pretending the emails were the only reason people disliked Hillary while digging up to 20-30 years back for Trump) and it's not hard to see why some voted purely against the Dems.

As for the groups you mentioned, the only one I could see actually being more negatively effected than they are now are LGTB if Trump fucks around with the marriage laws. But there's not going to be a ban on Muslims or mass deportations or any of the outright crazy shit he spouted while campaigning. And he's not really anti-immigrant, he's anti-illegal's and wants stronger vetting, neither of which are bad things. Somehow his message got turned from "You want to get in this country? So do a lot of people, so get in line" to "Immigrants are evil!!".

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I disagree, but I'm not American so take this with a grain of salt. I would say that electing Trump doesn't actually say much about the negative qualities of the general public, more that it reflects just how poorly the Democrats handled this election. They not only chose, but forced upon the people a candidate whom many have repeatedly rejected, and Trump was the alternative to a status quo that has evidently failed. Add to that the unbelievable hypocrisy and name-calling (Republican voters were 'racist', 'sexist', etc. / pretending the emails were the only reason people disliked Hillary while digging up to 20-30 years back for Trump) and it's not hard to see why some voted purely against the Dems.

As for the groups you mentioned, the only one I could see actually being more negatively effected than they are now are LGTB if Trump fucks around with the marriage laws. But there's not going to be a ban on Muslims or mass deportations or any of the outright crazy shit he spouted while campaigning. And he's not really anti-immigrant, he's anti-illegal's and wants stronger vetting, neither of which are bad things. Somehow his message got turned from "You want to get in this country? So do a lot of people, so get in line" to "Immigrants are evil!!".

with all due respect you are whitewashing a lot of negative stuff did and said during his campaign...and you see no problem with him saying crazy shit and the nasty stuff he said about people including mocking a handicapped reporter during his campaign and the fact that now you think he just said it to get elected?

• downzy locked this topic
  • downzy unlocked this topic