Jump to content

US Politics/Elections Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • downzy

    3926

  • Georgy Zhukov

    1523

  • classicrawker

    1519

  • soon

    1473

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump just grabbed America by the pussy

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Looking forward to the Durham report.

 

Hope it works out better for you than the last time you hyped up a report into the investigation of the Trump campaign:

On 11/17/2019 at 7:45 PM, Silent Jay said:

My point is that the release of the Horowitz IG report on FISA abuse is imminent. The reason for delay is probably to complete the Durham criminal probe on the origins of the Russia investigation.

On 11/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, Silent Jay said:

The Horowitz probe will likely prove all FISA warrants were fraudulent and that normal spying protocols were abrogated.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, downzy said:

Hope it works out better for you than the last time you hyped up a report into the investigation of the Trump campaign:

Quote

Attorney General Letitia James to make "major national announcement"

New York Attorney General Letitia James will make a "major national announcement" Thursday.

The attorney general will make the announcement at 11:30 a.m. from her New York City office.

It is not known what the announcement is regarding.

The event will be livestreamed at the attorney general's website

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8598501/New-York-prosecutors-got-Donald-Trumps-records-Deutsche-Bank-widening-probe.html

Edited by Dazey
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It's more nuanced than that though. Every economy is planned to a certain extent. In China the economy is planned by a central committee of nationalists, in the US, the economy is planned (albeit to a different extent) by billionaires and industries who can lobby the government (they decide which candidates get funded by big dollars but also own media conglomerates, think tanks, and NGO's). For the Chinese government it's all about nationalism and what's good for China in the long term. They think generationally. They will also not make decisions based on economic theories if they don't see a benefit for their nation. They learned from the Soviets though and are not as dogmatic, they will use market principles when they see fit. In the US, the oligarch's will lobby the government to enrich themselves and manipulate policies such as trade, tax, and regulatory policies. So they are basing their decisions on economic theories, but on a micro level as for what's good for themselves, and not the nation as a whole. The oligarch's will not move their production back to America because that doesn't make economic sense for them. Yes they may move more to India, Vietnam, Thailand, Africa, etc...but that transition would fully take decades.

While both systems have their flaws, if I were a betting man, long term I'm betting on the nation run by hardcore nationalists over the nation run by oligarch's. What incentive do oligarch's have in the long term viability of a country? They can just move on to another nation and plunder that. 

I should also state that the decision to open up China wasn't just a market decision, it was primarily a political decision to split the Soviet Union and China. The US establishment thought China was eventually going to become another liberal democracy, but they had other ideas of their own!

Regarding Iran, you can't overthrow a regime like Iran's with drones and special ops. For such an undertaking, you'll need some boots on the ground as well as heavy funding of proxy forces. Someone physically has to take territory and hold it, drones can't do that, they can only provide support for the physical forces that do the occupying. The US failed in Syria (whose government was on shakier ground than Iran's is). So I wouldn't give them much of a chance of regime change in Iran.

It's like I said earlier, it remains to be seen.  There were analysts/economists that were predicting China would be the #1 economy in the world by 2015 back in the '90's and that didn't happen.  So, we'll see.

I don't think the U.S. wants or needs to "overthrow" Iran.  I think the U.S. wants them to "play ball" with the rest of the world.

 

 

Edited by Ace Nova
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Drone strikes should be internationally banned, not the "future".

Ideally, all war should be banned, no?  Who wants war? 
 

Realistically, would you rather put more lives at risk, etc using human soldiers/pilots, etc or drones?
 

 And how is a drone less effective than say launching a smart missile from a ship 500 miles away? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Ideally, all war should be banned, no?  Who wants war? 

Not sure how that works though. I mean what do you say to somebody? 

"You're not alllowed to do a war anymore!"

"Why?"

"Cuz I said so!"

"Fuck you!"

"Wanna fight about it?"

"WAAAAARRRRRR!!!" :lol: 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Not sure how that works though. I mean what do you say to somebody? 

"You're not alllowed to do a war anymore!"

"Why?"

"Cuz I said so!"

"Fuck you!"

"Wanna fight about it?"

"WAAAAARRRRRR!!!" :lol: 

Well, that’s exactly my point. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ace Nova said:

That’s the actor from House MD, right?

He did a nice job covering his accent on that show. :thumbsup:

Yeah, and the guy with the pants on his head is Mr Bean. :lol: 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

It's like I said earlier, it remains to be seen.  There were analysts/economists that were predicting China would be the #1 economy in the world by 2015 back in the '90's and that didn't happen.  So, we'll see.

 

It depends on what you mean by largest economy. The US is number one based on nominal GDP, but China is number one based on real GDP (PPP).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It depends on what you mean by largest economy. The US is number one based on nominal GDP, but China is number one based on real GDP (PPP).

When most refer to "largest" economy, they refer to overall GDP.  PPP can be manipulated though currency manipulation, exchange rates, cost of living, etc etc. 

If you use PPP, India has the 3rd strongest economy in the world and there aren't too many serious economists touting India as an economic "powerhouse".

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Who would have thought that an organization that shamelessly killed any efforts to pass sensible gun regulations that would save thousands of lives would be rife with greed, fraud, and self-dealing.  

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of assholes.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Who would have thought that an organization that shamelessly killed any efforts to pass sensible gun regulations that would save thousands of lives would be rife with greed, fraud, and self-dealing.  

Couldn't happen to a nicer group of assholes.  

Gotta say that I was kinda gutted that they weren’t announcing indictments of the Trump crime family but I’ll settle for ruining the NRA. :lol:   

Did you watch the press conference? A reporter asked what precedent they could cite re asking for the dissolution of a charity vs just removing the wrongdoers. The answer. The Trump Foundation. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

When most refer to "largest" economy, they refer to overall GDP.  PPP can be manipulated though currency manipulation, exchange rates, cost of living, etc etc. 

If you use PPP, India has the 3rd strongest economy in the world and there aren't too many serious economists touting India as an economic "powerhouse".

 

I think you have it opposite, PPP actually adjusts for differences in cost of living.

http://statisticstimes.com/economy/gdp-nominal-vs-gdp-ppp.php

Quote

PPP basis arguably more useful when comparing differences in living standards between nations. A haircut in New York is more expensive than in Lima; the price of a taxi ride of the same distance is higher in Paris than in Tunis; and a ticket to a cricket game costs more in London than in Lahore.

It would be like comparing the biggest box office movies of all time, without taking into account inflation.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I think you have it opposite, PPP actually adjusts for inflation.

Right.  It's based of off "prices prevailing in the U.S.".  But it doesn't take into account that it's not that "price" in the country of origin.  (Therefore it can be affected through currency manipulation and exchange rates)...PPP can literally change overnight.  Nominal GDP can't.

I will say that a strong  PPP can show that a country's economy is progressing...It's just not the same as "Nominal GDP" when discussing "largest economies".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ace Nova said:

Right.  It's based of off "prices prevailing in the U.S.".  But it doesn't take into account that it's not that "price" in the country of origin.  (Therefore it can be affected through currency manipulation and exchange rates)...PPP can literally change overnight.  Nominal GDP can't.

I will say that a strong  PPP can show that a country's economy is progressing...It's just not the same as "Nominal GDP" when discussing "largest economies".

 

See my updated post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I'm sure this guy would feel the exact same amount of sympathy if right wingers threw a Molotov cocktail into a police car....

I'm not familiar with the person who tweeted the tweet...I saw it posted on another board.

Personally, I do feel for those people and it's part of the reason that politicizing a humanitarian movement can lead to nonsensical actions (by otherwise seemingly decent people), imo. 

(It does not change the fact that no one should be attacking the police or destroying police property during "peaceful protests".)

 

 

 

Edited by Ace Nova
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...