Why is Richard Fortus the most accepted/least hated member of NuGNR?

I've noticed this for a while now. Even those who despise NuGNR don't seem to mind Fortus. I've seen several folks talk about an original band reunion adding Fortus into the mix. Why would you say Richard gets a free pass over the likes of Finck, Ron or BH (lets pretend DJ never happened)?

He doesn't look like a clown, he can really play, he has not made a fool of himself, he has been in the band for 13 years now.

And he rocks. Fortus rocks. Great choice for rhythm guitar player for Guns imo. Not too crazy about his tone, note choices in solos, and his bend vibrato. He's a Jeff Beck follower mostly, but he does have a great mix of classic hard rock but with a modern edge and proper chops.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I don't like him. He's constantly lying in the media and creating false expectations. As a musician he's meh. He played with big names as Rihanna or Axl but never did anything on his own. He's 50 year-old and never wrote anything relevant.

Not everyone is a songwriter, some people just like playing their instrument. And Richard is great at playing it.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

I've noticed this for a while now. Even those who despise NuGNR don't seem to mind Fortus. I've seen several folks talk about an original band reunion adding Fortus into the mix. Why would you say Richard gets a free pass over the likes of Finck, Ron or BH (lets pretend DJ never happened)?

because he can play his instrument, humble and look like a GNR member from the old days (aka fit the GNR image even in NUgnr).

any more questions?

Edited by Strange Broue

He doesn't look like an idiot and he doesn't suck.

Neither does Ron though and yet folks still ragged on him.

Ron was a lead and a shredder. Lots of people didn't dig that style, Richard has always been a backup guitarist. Always wish he'd get more time to shine.

I don't like him. He's constantly lying in the media and creating false expectations. As a musician he's meh. He played with big names as Rihanna or Axl but never did anything on his own. He's 50 year-old and never wrote anything relevant.

are you the same girl who return canter's book?

how many account have you got here?

• Like 1

That's cause he was a noodler, played too many notes, there was the early Guns years with the flying bee guitar didn't help.

His tone and style of playing were not well accepted as well.

Also: he replaced Bucket, and even people that didn't think Bucket was right for Gn'R didn't think Bumble was as good as Bucket.

Fortus replaced Paul who did like one or two shows with Gn'R and was a rhythm player. It's not a good comparison to make imo.

Edited by Rovim

nah, he looks like an idiot, have you seen his stage presence since 2009?

last time he looked normal was in 2006, but yeah the bumblebee guitar was cringe too....

Ron plays very good, but his tone and his image doesn't belong in GNR. Not even for the NUGNR

Edited by Strange Broue

Look at your sig and tell me he doesn't look like an idiot, lol. Ron sucked HARD in the beginning but eventually improved his playing (aka didn't shred over Slash's brilliant solos).

Richard gets a free pass cause he's basically a nobody. He's more like a guest musician than a band member.

Ron was a lead and a shredder. Lots of people didn't dig that style, Richard has always been a backup guitarist. Always wish he'd get more time to shine.

Well, from 09-14 I would say the leads were fairly evenly split between Ron-Dj-Richard. He has his own solo spot, a solo in NR, a solo in PC, Izzy's solo in Nightrain. That's quite a bit for a rhythm player.

Edited by Towelie

Look at your sig and tell me he doesn't look like an idiot, lol. Ron sucked HARD in the beginning but eventually improved his playing (aka didn't shred over Slash's brilliant solos).

Richard gets a free pass cause he's basically a nobody. He's more like a guest musician than a band member.

Did he not shred on 14 years? He kept shredding, but improved greatly, meaning there was less pointless shred and more accurate playing. He did a cool version of don't cry in a Hendrix style way which was cool, and he played Estranged flawlessly, only his tone was just not right for it imo.

lol. He does look kinda douchey in my sig pic, but you know I stan hard for Ron, so my love is blind.

Edited by Towelie

Richards look, sound and attitude all gel with GnR. He's the best fit they've had on guitars since the original band went down. Now! he isn't a great writer but he is a great player and he doesn't look like a total gobshite.

Ron was much better after 2006-07 tour by the time he played with them in 2009 he had chilled a lot, he was playing less and adhering closer to the classic solos. I liked him, didn't like what he did in 2006/07 though (in yes, there was a big difference).

with fortus, it's more indifference than acceptance, same can be said about pitman, nobody cares.

Because he is less sloppy than Finck, more tasteful in his note selection than Bumblefoot, and less eccentric than Buckethead, and fits more in with the image of GN'R than all of them. In addition he doesn't whine and moan and seems like a grounded, solid guy.

• Like 1

Because he kind of looks like Izzy.

I could take him or leave him.. First choice would be Izzy.. Second would be Gilby... I just figure if neither of those work out might as well keep Fortus to keep Axl happy and because he would look like Izzy up on stage from a distance.