Slash's blues jam w/ Jimmy Vivino at Maui Sugar Mills Aug 24

Slash2baz

No, pure blues is something else. That's the rock/metal/punk boys of GNR trying to do blues. But they don't have a grasp on how to get that true sound.

can you point me 2 or 3 great blues recordings (studio or live) from 2 or 3 different blues artists?

thanks in advance!

:headbang:

Let's see, off the top of my head, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Freddie, Albert, and BB King, John Lee Hooker and the rest of the guys that the Stones, Zeppelin, Beck, Clapton, Mayall and everyone else in England worshipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PURIZ388xvE

In the more recent(relatively) times there's been guys like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Gary Moore who put out some outstanding blues

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20ifk_stevie-ray-vaughan-texas-flood_music

And right now you got guys like Joe Bonamassa and Gary Clark Jr. flying the flag for old school blues

No, pure blues is something else. That's the rock/metal/punk boys of GNR trying to do blues. But they don't have a grasp on how to get that true sound.

can you point me 2 or 3 great blues recordings (studio or live) from 2 or 3 different blues artists?

thanks in advance!

Let's see, off the top of my head, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Freddie, Albert, and BB King, John Lee Hooker and the rest of the guys that the Stones, Zeppelin, Beck, Clapton, Mayall and everyone else in England worshipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PURIZ388xvE

In the more recent(relatively) times there's been guys like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Gary Moore who put out some outstanding blues

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20ifk_stevie-ray-vaughan-texas-flood_music

And right now you got guys like Joe Bonamassa and Gary Clark Jr. flying the flag for old school blues

oh thanks i know all these guys

things is i have no idea where is the true great stuff among all their albums and all their live performances

like, which album is their appetite for destruction?

or which years were they at their peak during live performances?

i have no idea

i have listened to nice stuff from these guys

its usually good but i have had a hard time finding great stuff

i have listened to some recordings where these guys seemed to be on autopilot or something...

and others which they were backed by not-so-great bands

sometimes the sound quality is not that great...

i guess you can have an idea of what i am saying

can you point me like 1 album (or 1 live show) from some of these guys which is just fucking great?

thanks again!

nice, gonna try that one

any listening suggestions of stuff by the older guys?

My favorite old timer is Howlin' Wolf.. It is more about his voice than the guitars though. Izzy used to do some of his covers.. Some were songs that were done by a lot of blues guys but Izzy did Wolf's versions.

Killing floor

Smokestack Lightning

Evil

Highway 49

highway 49 (Izzy)

Spoonful

Spoonful (Izzy)

Edited by Tom-Ass

That's great Omar, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac were amazing. Like it this way, Oh Well , Rattlesnake Shake, Albatross, Plus Peter Green, Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer were a great trio of guitar players.

For those that don't know, Fleetwood Mac started as a blues band with Peter Green as frontman.

Peter Green was just great, probably my fav guitar player. This is my fav instrumental ever along with Albatross (the video's nice too!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=useKWILemkI

• Like 1

the freddie king stuff is terrific

that guy is a monster guitar player, wow

what i dont like about this (and many other blues recordings) is that the backing band is usually too clean and predictable for my liking

i am not saying they are bad musicians at all, its just my personal taste

to begin with, i dont really like the piano/keyboards sound, id much rather to listen to another guitar player instead. i am pretty sure a second (a rhythm) guitar would add a lot of rawness to the sound. the piano/keyboards sound makes it too clean. just listen to freddi sound at 2m17s when he is basically playing rhythm alone. that sound is terrific. I just wish i could find a freddie king recording where there is another guitar player playing rhythm with that kind of sound when he is soloing, instead of a piano/keyboard player.

I think I find GNR playing the blues so good precisely because whenever slash is soloing you have izzy doing the rhythm with his guitar, and that changes everything

wow and this albert king performance is awesome too

I love SRV, but that isn't pure blues either. He was such a monster player, but he was like Hendrix Meets blues with almost shredder chops and kind of a one trick pony.

Kind of a running theme for that era because Gary Moore had the blues thing down, but he also had monster chops to the moon. It's kinda cool to see guys today like Gary Clark Jr. bring it back to basics playing-wise.

Edited by moreblack

I love Gary, one of the greatest players of all time of any Genre.... Gary was a metal/hard rock Icon who got his first big break with Thin Lizzy, then an awesome solo career, then oddly he turned to the blues in the late 80's. But they were monster blues with super charged blistering runs that could humble any 80's shredder. The man was incredible. there was backlash from his metal fans, but he reached a whole new crop of fans with his blues playing. I miss Gary, this is one of the finest performances he has ever done. Listen to that fucking tone. DAMN.

• Like 1

These videos were great.. Maybe the best true blues I have ever seen Slash play.

and this... from madison 1987

on some bootlegs it is listed as COP RAP, and on some bootlegs it is listed as AXL'S BLUES

this is terrific, terrific blues and Axl ranting over it makes it even better

(if they were playing the blues "under" every Axl rant, the Use Your Illusion Tour rants would have been so much more fun)

That was fucking incredible and I had never heard that before. Thank you for posting. AMAZING

I love Gary, one of the greatest players of all time of any Genre.... Gary was a metal/hard rock Icon who got his first big break with Thin Lizzy, then an awesome solo career, then oddly he turned to the blues in the late 80's. But they were monster blues with super charged blistering runs that could humble any 80's shredder. The man was incredible. there was backlash from his metal fans, but he reached a whole new crop of fans with his blues playing. I miss Gary, this is one of the finest performances he has ever done. Listen to that fucking tone. DAMN.

Not to shit on this performance, cause it's very impressive. I just feel it totally lost the magic of the original Roy Buchanan version. A misinterpretation imo. (if there is such a thing)

Edited by Rovim

At the same time though, why would you cover something just to copy the original? Gotta do it your way.

Like I said, to me it lost it's magic and I love Gary Moore. The version he did lacked some essential elements imo. But he totally made it his own.

I think you can still do a completely different cover, and still not lose the core feel or vibe of the song.