Slash's blues jam w/ Jimmy Vivino at Maui Sugar Mills Aug 24

Slash2baz

You don't necessarily have to make that the priority of doing a cover though, I'm sure some folks at the time were very much thrown for a loop when they heard the Hendrix versions of Bob Dylan's tunes or Lizzy's version of Whiskey In The Jar

A good cover to me is when you make it your own, and bring something new to the table that belongs there, no matter how different it is or alien to the original.

You can keep it close to the original, or change it drastically.

Kurt's the man who sold the world cover is a good example of a good cover. Jimi's All Along The Watchtower cover brought some new elements to the song, changing it drastically, but it was connected and informed by the lyrics and the vibe of Dylan's original.

Knockin' on heavens door I always thought was a misfire. I still like Axl's vocals and especially Slash's solos in it, but it's a misinterpretation as well for me.

Edited by Rovim

You don't necessarily have to make that the priority of doing a cover though, I'm sure some folks at the time were very much thrown for a loop when they heard the Hendrix versions of Bob Dylan's tunes or Lizzy's version of Whiskey In The Jar

A good cover to me is when you make it your own, and bring something new to the table that belongs there, no matter how different it is or alien to the original.

Kurt's the man who sold the world cover is a good example of a good cover. Jimi's All Along The Watchtower cover brought some new elements to the song, changing it drastically, but it was connected and informed by the lyrics and the vibe of Dylan's original.

Knockin' on heavens door I always thought was a misfire. I still like Axl's vocals and especially Slash's solos in it, but it's a misinterpretation as well for me.

In the case of Guns they went pretty far from the original, it definitely sounds more like a Guns song. It was one of the highlights of the UYI tour, the Only Women Bleed Intro, the extended solo, the big singalong, hell of a way to end the set before coming back for the encores.

Edited by moreblack

In the case of Guns they went pretty far from the original, it definitely sounds more like a Guns song. It was one of the highlights of the UYI tour, the Only Women Bleed Intro, the extended solo, the big singalong, hell of a way to end the set before coming back for the encores.

One of the most obvious examples I think is Cash's version of Hurt. He made it his own and it didn't lose anything really. The vibe is the same, and it even took new meaning. It's hard to really nail a cover. It's a very creative process to cover a song well.

And about kohd: if you can compare the feel of a guitar solo to the general feel of a song, I can argue that Bucket's 2002 Nightrain boston solo is fantastic. A great cover of that solo. It changes it drastically, totally making it all Bucket.

But that was never the feel of the solo and it doesn't belong there in the song. Something was lost. Still made it his own. But it wasn't like what Jimi gave to All Along The Watchtower with his solos. Somehow it belonged there, and didn't seem out of place like Bucket's outro in a song like Nightrain.

Manson's Sweet Dreams cover changed it drastically, but kept all the important elements of the song and it's meaning.

Edited by Rovim

Manson's Sweet Dreams cover changed it drastically, but kept all the important elements of the song and it's meaning.

That was an interesting way to do a cover, it went from a very danceable bouncy tune, to like a nighmare horror song.

But that was never the feel of the solo and it doesn't belong there in the song. Something was lost. Still made it his own.

You can tell he wasn't even trying to fit the old vibe of the song, he had his own story to tell there. Personally between his way and Bumblefoot's, Bucket had a better handle on what to do.

Edited by moreblack

These videos were great.. Maybe the best true blues I have ever seen Slash play.

and this... from madison 1987

on some bootlegs it is listed as COP RAP, and on some bootlegs it is listed as AXL'S BLUES

this is terrific, terrific blues and Axl ranting over it makes it even better

(if they were playing the blues "under" every Axl rant, the Use Your Illusion Tour rants would have been so much more fun)

That was fucking incredible and I had never heard that before. Thank you for posting. AMAZING

glad you found it

my sugestion to you is

bootlegs

there are nice little gems like this hidden on some gnr boots

i am sure you are smart enough to find them

Edited by ludurigan

• 2 weeks later...