What exactly does Paul Huge play on Sympathy?

Dr. Who

He basically imitates Slash's lines on the guitar solo, producing a sort of Eagles style ''speak and reply'' guitar duel. If you listen to it with headphones, Tobias is on the left channel and Slash's is centre-right - Tobias's tone is the thinner of the two. Slash's playing begins 3.06 and Tobias's 3.08 and follows in a similar manner,

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

He basically imitates Slash's lines on the guitar solo, producing a sort of Eagles style ''speak and reply'' guitar duel. If you listen to it with headphones, Tobias is on the left channel and Slash's is centre-right. Tobias's tone is the thinner of the two.

Doesn't he also play at the beginning, too, then? The left channel guitar licks from when Axl sings "I'm a man of wealth and taste" to "washed his hands and sealed his fate"

and at the end, those crunchy notes on the left channel, over Dizzy's piano playing - is that Paul too, then?

If you listen to the whole song, most of the guitar work is left channel with the exception of Slash's rhythm work and solos, which is center and right. Which could mean most of the track is played by Paul and Slash, not just the solo.

The normal procedure is to record the rhythm work first and overdub the solo later. Slash only complained about a solo. I am listen to it now and it sounds like it could be Slash's tone but to be honest it could be just about any moderately decent guitarist as the rhythm work mostly consists of chords, played rhythmically and choppy with little bluesy fills, e.g. little sevenths thrown in.

PS

Oh I see what you mean with the guitar fills on the slower bit. Again, it sounds like it could be Slash but a moderately decent blues guitarist could play that.

Edited by DieselDaisy

The normal procedure is to record the rhythm work first and overdub the solo later. Slash only complained about a solo. I am listen to it now and it sounds like it could be Slash's tone but to be honest it could be just about any moderately decent guitarist as the rhythm work mostly consists of chords, played rhythmically and choppy with little bluesy fills, e.g. little sevenths thrown in.

PS

Oh I see what you mean with the guitar fills on the slower bit. Again, it sounds like it could be Slash but a moderately decent blues guitarist could play that.

The tone sounds different than Slash - very choppy and funky.

Also, listen towards the end (6:45-7:09) those little solo lines and choppy bits, left channel (as you hear Dizzy playing really bluesy piano in the background, almost buried in the mix). Doesn't sound like Slash, tell me what you think.

Yes, I see your point with the second solo. Most of all of that is Slash - very much so - but Tobias is present. He seems to be playing little harmony licks but there is a distinct lick played at 5.20.

PS

And 6.48 - he resurfaces.

I think Tobias is probably dipping into choppy rhythm work between those times, playing little harmonic sevenths. It is hard to tell because of the mixing.

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 2 weeks later...

i'd love to see Slash's reaction at the time when he first heard the song and heard that answer solo

he was pretty upset about it in the interview...the moment he heard it had to be hilarious

now im gonna laugh every time i hear it just picturing Slash's possible reaction

Edited by -HollywoodRose-

i'd love to see Slash's reaction at the time when he first heard the song and heard that answer solo

he was pretty upset about it in the interview...the moment he heard it had to be hilarious

now im gonna laugh every time i hear it just picturing Slash's possible reaction

"What da fuck?!"

He basically imitates Slash's lines on the guitar solo, producing a sort of Eagles style ''speak and reply'' guitar duel. If you listen to it with headphones, Tobias is on the left channel and Slash's is centre-right - Tobias's tone is the thinner of the two. Slash's playing begins 3.06 and Tobias's 3.08 and follows in a similar manner,

Great explanation.

I liked their version. Slash's solos are brilliant. Axl sounds great. Couldn't care less about Tobias tiny guitar bits.

• 2 weeks later...