RIP Wes Craven and Oliver Sacks

Dan H.

I'm not a particular fan but he is a giant of the genre and I like some of his work. It is an interesting career as he started out in exploitation-horror with such films as The Hills Have Eyes and Last House On The Left before throwing everything into mainstream horror-comedy with the Elm Street/Scream sagas.

RIP Wes Craven.

Thank you for inventing one of the scariest horror villians: Freddy Krueger

Also for making Scream and bringing back the slasher films even better the second time around.

Sad to hear it. I always hoped I would meet Wes at a horror convention, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Another great gone.

I think I've only seen two Craven films. He only did the first Scream and the first Nightmare on Elm Street and New Nightmare in those two franchises, right?

His cameo as Fred the janitor in Scream was a nice nod to Freddy Krueger.

No. He wrote and directed nightmare 1 and New Nightmare. He wrote Nightmare 3. And directed screams 1-4.

He also did a ton other movies, but he will always be most well known for nightmare and scream.

I'm a HUGE Nightmare fan and it really amazing how the ones where Wes was involved are the best and tone setters for the entire series. 1 is the original, so that's obvious. But 3 is really where Freddy became a house hold name. It is the film where Freddy turned to comedy, but it also retained a sense of danger and scariness to the character still. It was 4, 5, and freddys dead where he became a shadow of himself really, just joke after joke. Yes 3 did set the stage for that, but it also set the tone for the rest of the series, as well as Freddy vs Jason. Besides the original, if their is 1 Freddy movie that is really worth watching, it is 3.

New Nightmare is really the finale of the series. It really brought the character and the series full circle. I thought wes succeded in making Freddy scary again, which is a feat considering how unscary he was in 4, 5, and FD. But not only that, I've read reviews and articles on New Nightmare that place it as one of the best and one of the definitive 90s horror films. Its a really unique film, even more unique than the scream series imo. Which most people forget, but Wes did New Nightmare the year before he did Scream. I've also read articles where New Nightmare can be both considered the finale to the elm street series and the prequel to the scream series. Not a literal prequel, but a prequel in tone, theory, and idea. Its really the first horror film that takes you outside of being in actual horror film. What separates it from scream, and imo allowed it to stand the test of time better than scream is that it doesn't revolve around high school kids. Even though Scream was trying to be edgy and show how cool 90s kids were by making fun of 80s things, when it is viewed in 2015, it looks just as dated as the 80s films it mocks. New Nightmare on the other hand suffers from none of that. Obviously it's prefrance debate, but IMO New Nightmare is far superior to any Scream film, and is Wes' 2nd best work, behind the original Nightmare of course. Which to his credit he wrote and directed both. But having said that, Nightmare 3 holds a special place with me, even though Was didn't direct it, it's still one of his babies.

So he did all four Screams and Nightmare, Nightmare 3, and New Nightmare? Ok. Nightmare 3 was one of the better sequels. I never did see New Nightmare. When I was in high school and video stores and VHS were still a thing, I got Nightmare on Elm Street through Nightmare 5 and watched them all in one weekend.

The marionette scene in Dream Warriors still freaks me out.

Edited by luciusfunk

So he did all four Screams and Nightmare, Nightmare 3, and New Nightmare? Ok. Nightmare 3 was one of the better sequels. I never did see New Nightmare. When I was in high school and video stores and VHS were still a thing, I got Nightmare on Elm Street through Nightmare 5 and watched them all in one weekend.

New Nightmare is really very fucking cool, it's one of the only horror movies I've ever noticed getting 4 stars in reviews.

Well worth seeing.

The original, Dream Warriors and New Nightmare are in all honesty the only Nightmare movies that are actually decent...maybe the second film if only for the homo erotic lols.

• Like 1

New Nightmare is really very fucking cool, it's one of the only horror movies I've ever noticed getting 4 stars in reviews.

Well worth seeing.

The original, Dream Warriors and New Nightmare are in all honesty the only Nightmare movies that are actually decent...maybe the second film if only for the homo erotic lols.

new nightmare is so good, really flipped horror and the NOES series on its head. although corny and dated i still like shocker as well pinker scared the shit out of me as a kid.

• Like 1

I just watched shocker for the first time about a month ago. It hasn't ages very well, not one of his best that's for sure. He did a vodoo type film as well, I can't remember the name of it, but that was one of his better films id say.

Well worth seeing.

I'm glad you agree with me about 1, 3, and New Nightmare. They really are the highlights of the series. I rank 2 and 4 as the decent ones. 2 has the Homo stuff, but it's still decently scary. 4 isn't scary, but it picks up right where 3 left off, so I still dig it. 5 and freddys dead are the turds of the series imo. I can at least sit through freddys dead though, dream child is a giant wtf imo. Honestly I could have come up with a better sequel than dream child...

Edit. The vodoo film he did is called the serpant and the rainbow. I highly recommend checking it out. I've only seen maybe twice, but imdb rank it as one of his best films, and I remember really liking it as well.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

MTV said they were going to have a tribute before their show SCREAM which Wes produced.

They showed Wes Craven's picture and said thanks for the screams or some shit like that. It was all of 2 seconds!

MTV still fucking up after all these years.

Anyway, the show Scream was actually very good. probably because Wes had a hand in it. It's coming back in 2016. Wonder how good it will be without his input.

He will be missed by all us horror fans!

I just watched shocker for the first time about a month ago. It hasn't ages very well, not one of his best that's for sure. He did a vodoo type film as well, I can't remember the name of it, but that was one of his better films id say.

Well worth seeing.

I'm glad you agree with me about 1, 3, and New Nightmare. They really are the highlights of the series. I rank 2 and 4 as the decent ones. 2 has the Homo stuff, but it's still decently scary. 4 isn't scary, but it picks up right where 3 left off, so I still dig it. 5 and freddys dead are the turds of the series imo. I can at least sit through freddys dead though, dream child is a giant wtf imo. Honestly I could have come up with a better sequel than dream child...

Edit. The vodoo film he did is called the serpant and the rainbow. I highly recommend checking it out. I've only seen maybe twice, but imdb rank it as one of his best films, and I remember really liking it as well.

i agree serpent and the rainbow is awesome.

i also agree about your thoughts on nightmare(and shocker hasnt aged well i agree) two is just an oddball but its decent enough. dream warriors kicks ass and is one that i watch quite frequently.