Is DJ Ashba actually capable of playing the SCOM solo in its entirety?

Towelie

Why do people say that a guitarist 'messes up' a solo when he plays it his own way?

Like, if Joe Perry did a Zeppelin cover and played a solo differently, is it because he lacks the ability to play it and is 'butchering' the solo, or just doing his own take?

When Mick Taylor was in the Stones he often played the songs EXTREMELY different from the studio version but I don't think anyone would question his ability with the guitar.

Using this logic would say that Brian Johnson should go off and sing his "own versions" of classic AC/DC songs recorded by Bonn Scott, just 'cause he can.

To me, only the original composer has the right to wander off track with a composition, its theirs to fuck with after all but within reason.

I have no problem with musicians doing completely different versions of songs, in fact I really like that idea when its done well.

Having worked as a professional musician and met lots of guitar players, lots of times they do their "own version of a solo" because they are too lazy, arrogant or incompetent to deliver the original as the fans want it.

In large gigs where classic songs are being played, the crowd can be as much up for the solo as the vocal, they are as big a part of the DNA as the vocal, fuck with that and you are denying a huge portion of the crowd what they came for. Its not good business, especially if you're the third guitarist removed from the original guy that wrote the tune you're playing.

How about something like this?:

First 1:20 of the song is Keith Richards, then from 1:20 is Mick Taylor. Solo sounds nothing like the album version.

First 1:20 of the song is Keith Richards, then from 1:20 is Mick Taylor. Solo sounds nothing like the album version.

Well the Stones for me would be highly regarded for their interweaving guitar lines and cool tunings rather than guitar solos per say. I can't honestly recall an iconic solo from the Stones (happy to be reminded/corrected) so to me, the comparison doesn't apply.

That said, I love when rhythm & blues bands mess with their tunes, however their genre was built around jamming; its still very much a part of the live experience and most of the tunes are built from massive jams anyway (read about how Cream wrote their music with Eric Clapton) so its ok.

But if you take bands where they have a heavy hitting guitar personality, say Pantera for example..say they reunited with Zakk Wilde and he started doing his own solo for "Walk" or "Cemetery Gates" on the tours a lot of fans would be really pissed as they come to the gigs to hear the solos live as much as see the band.

I never minded extended jams of Nighttrain by Slash because he recognises the love for the original solo and always keeps it in there, even with 12 minutes of noodling stuck in around it. In fact, Slash himself used to fuck with solos early in his career frequently going way off track in AFD songs on stage but he stopped doing it. I'm willing to bet its because he realised he was diluting the fan experience and his impact in the live arena.

Well the Stones for me would be highly regarded for their interweaving guitar lines and cool tunings rather than guitar solos per say. I can't honestly recall an iconic solo from the Stones (happy to be reminded/corrected) so to me, the comparison doesn't apply.

That said, I love when rhythm & blues bands mess with their tunes, however their genre was built around jamming; its still very much a part of the live experience and most of the tunes are built from massive jams anyway (read about how Cream wrote their music with Eric Clapton) so its ok.

But if you take bands where they have a heavy hitting guitar personality, say Pantera for example..say they reunited with Zakk Wilde and he started doing his own solo for "Walk" or "Cemetery Gates" on the tours a lot of fans would be really pissed as they come to the gigs to hear the solos live as much as see the band.

I never minded extended jams of Nighttrain by Slash because he recognises the love for the original solo and always keeps it in there, even with 12 minutes of noodling stuck in around it. In fact, Slash himself used to fuck with solos early in his career frequently going way off track in AFD songs on stage but he stopped doing it. I'm willing to bet its because he realised he was diluting the fan experience and his impact in the live arena.