Remastered albums?

WAR41

Hey Marc,

I always thought it was sort of odd that no GNR albums have ever been remastered (outside of the MFSL Gold releases), especially considering how common it is for big acts to remaster albums to cash in. Do you think that had to do with the Axl/Slash feud? Do you think now that things appear to be much better between the two of them that we might see a 25 year remaster of UYI 1 & 2 next year and a 30 year remaster of AFD in 2017?

Thanks

Edited by WAR41

The fact that Axl and Slash were not communicating at all is one of the reasons why there has not been anything done with the music they worked on together. However I'm happy with how AFD sounds, its a masterpiece. You are right about the fact that they could make a ton of money with remastering it are repackaging it a bit differently. I'm a stick in the mud and don't really like changes. I would say don't fuck with it. Maybe someday they could put out a cool box set with some different mixes from AFD. I remember Axl wanted to remix the end of Paradise City after it was already all done. He had some ideas about that. Axl is very creative as you already know, so if he has some ideas, they could turn out to be something special.

• Like 1

The fact that Axl and Slash were not communicating at all is one of the reasons why there has not been anything done with the music they worked on together. However I'm happy with how AFD sounds, its a masterpiece. You are right about the fact that they could make a ton of money with remastering it are repackaging it a bit differently. I'm a stick in the mud and don't really like changes. I would say don't fuck with it. Maybe someday they could put out a cool box set with some different mixes from AFD. I remember Axl wanted to remix the end of Paradise City after it was already all done. He had some ideas about that. Axl is very creative as you already know, so if he has some ideas, they could turn out to be something special.

I agree, i dont think Appetite needs a remastering at this point in time. Still sounds great!!

yeah i also think appetite doesnt need to be touched

it is terrific as it is

but id love a box set full of demos, outtakes, unreleased studio stuff and also proper live recordings from that era

we all have heard the circulating demos and i am sure there is plenty more

Edited by ludurigan

To be clear I agree with all of you, especially on AFD. I think it is an incredible album that shouldn't be touched up. Its just common for albums of this caliber to be remastered/repackaged to cash in on them. The fact that GNR had not done it yet was always strange to me. If Axl and Slash are indeed talking I would think that this is imminent.

To be clear I agree with all of you, especially on AFD. I think it is an incredible album that shouldn't be touched up. Its just common for albums of this caliber to be remastered/repackaged to cash in on them. The fact that GNR had not done it yet was always strange to me. If Axl and Slash are indeed talking I would think that this is imminent.

I don't mind remastered records, but to be honest, always sounds horrid to my ears. Maybe a few exceptions, but very rare.

Very few records get released that maintain a modern feel as it ages. AFD is one of them in my opinion. It's agrd well, the original mix is still crisp and really well done. I don't see many areas for improvement from an audio stand point. Any of those songs could be released today and sound just as good