Dickinson: "I should have punched in Axl Rose"

Maiden wrote some politically fueled songs (Be Quick Or Be Dead and Mother Russia Spring to mind), but certainly nothing by 1988.

yeah exactly, the only thing remotely political was the original idea for the killers album cover but that was scrapped(outside of an ep or single). i honestly never thought of iron maiden as a political band.
Which one are you referring to, the Margaret Thatcher artwork? The one that cause a big panic was the Sanctuary single cover, where Eddie is standing over a dead Thatcher who was in the middle of tearing down a Maiden poster. To "make things right" they did the Women In Uniform artwork with Thatcher waiting to gun down Eddie when he walks by.

Maiden wrote some politically fueled songs (Be Quick Or Be Dead and Mother Russia Spring to mind), but certainly nothing by 1988.

yeah exactly, the only thing remotely political was the original idea for the killers album cover but that was scrapped(outside of an ep or single). i honestly never thought of iron maiden as a political band.
Which one are you referring to, the Margaret Thatcher artwork? The one that cause a big panic was the Sanctuary single cover, where Eddie is standing over a dead Thatcher who was in the middle of tearing down a Maiden poster. To "make things right" they did the Women In Uniform artwork with Thatcher waiting to gun down Eddie when he walks by.

yeah thats it the sanctuary cover where eddie is kneeling over thatcher with a knife and then they had the single with thatcher with a machine gun when eddie was walking with the two girls. even with that i doubt axl rose knew about those things 8 years later.

• Like 1

I always loved that snippet, especially Izzy at the end.

Can someone explain or provide a proper translation for this part though? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me:

Guns N 'Roses opened the show of Iron Maiden and, according to Dickinson, Axl Rose would have told the public that the Maiden was only the main attraction because he spoke French.

???

I like Maiden, but it's not like Bruce has never been a dick before. Pot meet kettle? :shrugs:

there is being a dick once and a while(who cant be a dick once and a while?) and being axl rose.

lol why u so butthurt bruh???

bad for your health

not sure how i was acting butthurt, but whatever helps you through the day bruh

Even as a metaphor I don't get what he's ultimately saying, haha.

Like a political body makes a political statement, a band makes a statement with an album....sure... but what was Maiden "about" in 88? What did their album(s) represent? Just being an old dinosaur band? An established act? Just a difference of genre (rock vs metal)? Motivated by something other than music?

Maybe it was just off the cuff and he wanted to sound rebellious... i dunno.... who cares haha....

Edited by Ant

that's long been one of my favourite interview clips, because, while short, it completely epitomizes everything about the band personalities. axl is ranting with passion and stealing the spotlight, a sign of things to come; and when the interviewer asks izzy if he was going to say something, he just says no. :lol: it's awesome.

Like a political body makes a political statement, a band makes a statement with an album....sure... but what was Maiden "about" in 88? What did their album(s) represent? Just being an old dinosaur band? An established act? Just a difference of genre (rock vs metal)? Motivated by something other than music?

Maybe it was just off the cuff and he wanted to sound rebellious... i dunno.... who cares haha....

I feel like he was talking about the fantasy/mythological elements in a lot of metal music - dragons, dungeons, swords, etc... that stuff doesn't seem particularly "rock n' roll" when compared with the GN'R of the 80's.

I like Maiden, but it's not like Bruce has never been a dick before. Pot meet kettle? :shrugs:

there is being a dick once and a while(who cant be a dick once and a while?) and being axl rose.

lol why u so butthurt bruh???

bad for your health

not sure how i was acting butthurt, but whatever helps you through the day bruh

of course you cant see it lol

As I recall, Guns N' Roses pretty famously hated opening for Iron Maiden and tried numerous things to get fired from the tour. In that context, seems as though Axl's statement might have been one more deliberate attempt to piss them off enough to get kicked out. :)

They wrote "It Tastes Good, Don't It?" to be as obscene as possible just for the purpose of getting kicked off the tour.

I do remember reading that, yes, LOL. Seems as though they were trying as many tactics as possible to get out of there. Obscene songs, insulting the band, etc. ...got to give them credit for persistence and creativity. :)

Side note: that clip appears to be after their set at Donington, which means that Axl would have just seen a gigantic melee, would have seen people getting pulled out of the pit unconscious, and perhaps had already been told that there had been deaths or serious injuries. He looks shaken there. Perhaps it's one of the reasons he wasn't necessarily expressing himself entirely clearly at that moment, and why Izzy didn't want to talk (Izzy never wants to talk. But still).

I feel like he was talking about the fantasy/mythological elements in a lot of metal music - dragons, dungeons, swords, etc... that stuff doesn't seem particularly "rock n' roll" when compared with the GN'R of the 80's.

That's what I got out of it too, especially when one takes into account what he said about KISS in the same clip. Everyone's jumping on the politics comment but it does seem to be a metaphor -- that a band's presentation/songs/etc. are their "platform" and how they present themselves to the world; that Iron Maiden had an entirely different approach than GnR, and that Axl wasn't personally fond of IM's approach. Axl never shied away from talking about politics and social issues in interviews so I doubt he was criticizing any other band for that.

Bruce should say it to Axl's face not some interviewer trying to look hard in front of his fanbase. You never know Axl may hand Bruce his arse.

I like how people always assume that Axl is awesome at everything just because he is our favorite singer.
  • Like 1

Can someone explain or provide a proper translation for this part though? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me:

Guns N 'Roses opened the show of Iron Maiden and, according to Dickinson, Axl Rose would have told the public that the Maiden was only the main attraction because he spoke French.

???

I can only presume that the 'he' in the 'he spoke French' refers to Bruce himself.

Bruce should say it to Axl's face not some interviewer trying to look hard in front of his fanbase. You never know Axl may hand Bruce his arse.

I like how people always assume that Axl is awesome at everything just because he is our favorite singer.

:lol:

Someone's gotta stick up for him!

Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden, the bands and their respective crews, did not get along on that 1988 tour. I think people thought that it was an odd fit as Guns were a blues based punky rock n' roll act who sing about real life whereas Maiden are an operatic metal act who sing about Pharaohs, demons and history. Maiden were probably closer to Guns when they had Di'Anno and playing punk rock.

• Like 2

???

I can only presume that the 'he' in the 'he spoke French' refers to Bruce himself.

Thanks, I feel slow now. That makes sense.