The Reason A Reunion Will NEVER Happen

This forum has been great recently - exciting and positive with the recent news that Axl and Slash are talking again, and hope for a possible reunion.

I was getting caught up in the hype too for a while - I would love this.

But there is one simple reason that it will never happen - Axl's ownership of the GNR brand.

Could you ever imagine Slash, Duff and Izzy signing up to perform or write music as mere hired hands at this point in their careers, the same way that Dizzy, Stinson, etc, do?

There is just no way they would ever accept these terms. It would be humiliating - this is a band they helped to create, after all.

So what about the alternative? Axl relenting and handing over a percentage of the band-name and brand to the other original members is just never going to happen. Not a fucking chance.

• Like 1

The way I see it, ignoring how poor the actual fight was, if that Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight was able to get made with all of those moving parts then as long as Axl and Slash are cordial with each other then I can see this actually happening.

Do I think its going to happen? Nope! But I of course have hope.

I've been saying this the entire time.

Slash and Duff have become seasoned professionals; Axl hired his nanny to be his business manager.

Slash and Duff simply will not put aside their ownership over their careers and take a hired-hand job with Fernando signing their paychecks and approving or disapproving their vacation time.

And Axl will never relinquish his total control and enter a collaborative partnership with ANYONE, let alone Slash and Duff.

Game over, boys.

• Like 2

Axl only owns the name. He doesn't own the rights to money and royalties solely. That's shared between himself, Slash, and Duff.

The only thing that would need to happen is Axl to let Duff and Slash be equally involved in the decision making. They will all make the same money. They can hire a new manager. Axl doesn't have to sign over any power bc outside of the name itself they all share royalties.

I don't think that'd hold things up to be honest, i don't think either of em are starving and i don't think Axl would not give em their fair whack, whatever else he is i do think he's a man that operates according to some semblence of principle. I think the rest of em miss it more than Axl to be honest, a lot more, i think he could get em onside just for the fact of being able to be that band again. All conjecture, who the fuck really knows.

This forum has been great recently - exciting and positive with the recent news that Axl and Slash are talking again, and hope for a possible reunion.

But there is one simple reason that it will never happen - Axl's ownership of the GNR brand.

Could you ever imagine Slash, Duff and Izzy signing up to perform or write music as mere hired hands at this point in their careers, the same way that Dizzy, Stinson, etc, do?

There is just no way they would ever accept these terms. It would be humiliating - this is a band they helped to create, after all.

So what about the alternative? Axl relenting and handing over a percentage of the band-name and brand to the other original members is just never going to happen. Not a fucking chance.

Nah.

The fact that Axl owns the name isn't a problem anymore for Duff, Slash and Izzy.

If reunion doesn't happen, it would be for other reasons.

Edited by supercool

Slash and Duff probably just want back in that old saddle that they clearly miss, Izzy'll be on if he can finance his next fuckin' motor off of it and Stevie Adler would play for a fuckin' chocolate biscuit at this point :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 2

You're using an alt account, which means you're afraid of being wrong, or just trolling.

Edited by supercool

I don't think that'd hold things up to be honest, i don't think either of em are starving and i don't think Axl would not give em their fair whack, whatever else he is i do think he's a man that operates according to some semblence of principle. I think the rest of em miss it more than Axl to be honest, a lot more, i think he could get em onside just for the fact of being able to be that band again. All conjecture, who the fuck really knows.

Pretty much my thoughts.

I think the thing many fans don't think about or don't put enough stock in is these guys egos. Im not even talking about Axls ego, we all know what his is like, but slash and duff have pretty big ones as well. Duff does appear to be a little more grounded, but it's still there im sure.

What I mean by that is they have all earned the right to be headliners, and major arena headliners at that. I'm not trying to to diminish Slash's solo career, but the fact is the only way he gets to play major places is if he opens up for Aerosmith or some other major band. Same goes for duff, but he won't get the options that slash even gets. Now yes they both can go and play clubs and theaters and headline those, but at this point in their careers, they probably do want a little more money for all that effort. Think about it from a business perspective, it doesn't cost a band much more money to play a huge place vs a small place, they still have to pay crews and all that. But a 1000 seat place vs a 20000 seat place is a shit ton difference in money you make.

Now I'm not sitting here saying that axl is just rolling in the doe and slash and duff or starving, I'm not saying that at all. But Axl has still played pretty big places, he might not be selling them out, but he still played them. Now if you put a reunion together, not only would they sell out 20000 seat places, they might even get to play 50000 to 100000 type stadiums. Now we are talking about some serious money. That's the type of money that can probably set you and your kids up for life. You can't tell me that doesn't play a role. Especially when you are a guy like slash that has played these places, but only as an opener. He just saw what Aerosmith was doing, you can't tell me he doesn't miss it. When he has the opportunity to be in a band again, that can do that, it has to be something to really be considered.

It's like being on top of your profession, none of them can be considered at the top of the music industry without each other, but when they are together, they are elite of the elite. After they reached the top back in the early 90s, yes they probably all needed to downscale and get back to their roots. But they done that, for years now. 1 more trip to the top of the mountain would be to tempting to not do it, especially with all the wisdom they have now.

It'll happen...

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Slash and Duff probably just want back in that old saddle that they clearly miss

Clearly miss? I seriously doubt they've been sitting by the phone waiting all these years

Im not a big enough fan to recall all the various specifics of whats been said in interviews to make me say that, my sphere of interest and as a result my recollections are primarily from the time when there was a GnR but thats the impression i got, i mean Slash was pretty up for the HOF reunion as was Duff although im less sure on the latter. And Slash being solo as he has with the last couple of albums has always come off rather displaced, i didnt mean to say they were sitting desperate.

Edited by Len B'stard

Slash and Duff probably just want back in that old saddle that they clearly miss

Clearly miss? I seriously doubt they've been sitting by the phone waiting all these years

Im not a big enough fan to recall all the various specifics of whats been said in interviews to make me say that, my sphere of interest and as a result my recollections are primarily from the time when there was a GnR but thats the impression i got, i mean Slash was pretty up for the HOF reunion as was Duff although im less sure on the latter. And Slash being solo as he has with the last couple of albums has always come off rather displaced.

They're realistic about it though, from some of what I've heard them say. Like how a lot of the business end of things would have to change, as well as mutual respect and all that, before they'd work together again. They didn't split up on the best of terms, it was rough. And nobody's been willing to compromise all these years. And I'm not sure if they completely will this time either.

If a reunion ever happened I think they would form a new partnership with the people involved, in which Axl would license the said partnership the use of the GNR name for $1 for an x amount of time for live performances. Since the GNR name is licensed to the new partership all revenue and royalties would go to the new partnership and any content (music, videos, merchandise) produce during that time has the right to use the GNR name indefinitely with approval from all members of the partnership.

Edited by salx

Here's a deal that works:

Axl still owns the name. Slash, Duff etc have said they don't care who owns the name, they were only bugged by HOW Axl got the name and the lack of mutual respect there was.

So, it works like this: Axl still owns the name, but they sign a legal partnership which makes them equal partners in Guns N' Roses, which is owned by Axl. They're not employees, just equal partners in a business at that point.

It's like if you're an Executive in a company founded by someone and they promote you to full Partner, well, they still own the company but you're not exactly their employee, you're now their full partner.

That's legally how GN'R worked from 1992 to 1995 and Slash and Duff seemed to have no issue working in Guns under that arrangement. They only had a beef when Axl dissolved the partnership which they were a part of and became sole partner.

Im not a big enough fan to recall all the various specifics of whats been said in interviews to make me say that, my sphere of interest and as a result my recollections are primarily from the time when there was a GnR but thats the impression i got, i mean Slash was pretty up for the HOF reunion as was Duff although im less sure on the latter. And Slash being solo as he has with the last couple of albums has always come off rather displaced.

They're realistic about it though, from some of what I've heard them say. Like how a lot of the business end of things would have to change, as well as mutual respect and all that, before they'd work together again. They didn't split up on the best of terms, it was rough. And nobody's been willing to compromise all these years. And I'm not sure if they completely will this time either.[/quote

Oh, they said the business end'd have to change? Well, my respect level for them as men just rose, well done lads.

Oh, they said the business end'd have to change? Well, my respect level for them as men just rose, well done lads.

The point brought up that they wouldn't return just to be Axl's employees is spot on. This will be the insurmountable hurdle that could derail the whole thing, if there is infact, a thing.

Edited by moreblack

Like all these things it would end up with years of negotiations between respective corporate lawyers hammering out a contract which has face and $ for all parties concerned. Sad really. You start out a band of brothers in a smelly garage and end up being fought over by a bunch of 'suits' with $100 million at stake.

• Like 1

I don't really care now if a reunion will happen,it's enough if Axl and Slash forgot the bullshit from the past and just say a hello,whats up to each other,a guest for 1-2 songs to their bands would be enought too for the fans.

No way. You really think if Axl did a song on a Slash song/gig, that would be enough? The whole world would then demand a reunion. Nope, it is a reunion or nothing at all the way I see it atleast