Will a GN'R Full Length Biopic Movie Be As Successful as "Straight Outta Compton"?

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Depends entirely on how they decide to tell the story, and who is cast in the film as well as another list of things. If the film was done right with the band serving as executive producers I think it could become a good film. It needs the rights to use actual Guns music too.

The Guns story is interesting, dramatic, packed with great stories, of drugs, sex, classic songs, feuds / in fighting, gang / brotherhood. Plenty of material, just as long as they don't Rockstar it, it should be fine.

• Like 1

What's the catch or the gimmick?

What is the key story line that separates GnR's story from other successful rock bands?

Maybe if it's tied around one specific incident that produced a lot of social commentary. Like the riot after the Metallica show. Axl yelling about the camera and jumping into the crowd.

But I think maybe a killer documentary would be the better and more interesting route.

Somebody could make 4-5 really compelling ones about GnR.

The early days

Biggest band in the world, appetite to Illusions

The riots, fights and controversies.

The breakup and Chinese democracy

The reunion

Is much rather watch those docs than watch actors try and portray all of that reduced down to a 90-minute movie.

• Like 3

I still stand by my belief that in order for a potential GNR film to be successful, it needs to be structured story-wise, as well as marketed, as a tragedy centered around Axl Rose. He needs to be written as a sort-of rock n' roll Citizen Kane/ Raging Bull/ Howard Hughes/ Will Herst/ George Lucas type of character.

The story of a man who started with nothing and became the biggest rock star on the planet, but then he let his demons get the best of him, and lost everything.

I didn't see the NWA film but from my understanding it took a decade of history and kinda mushed it all together without acknowledging the long passing of time or time jumps. The GNR film would need to do something similar. Start in the early 80s at their club days and climax after the UYI tour when the band imploded, but make it look like it all happened really fast (it probably felt that way to them anyway). One of the things that makes the original Star Wars great is how at the end we go "wow, just a few hours ago this kid was a hopeless farmer in the desert, but now he blew up a friggin Death Star!" It's sorta like a gut-punch. The reason the 2013 jobs film was stupid is cause it kept acknowledging that every scene was a different year. Terrible pacing.

If the movie is good in terms of quality and both written and marketed as a sorta Axl-tragedy then word will get around of its uniqueness and more people would go see it. Then the financial success will come.

I know Marc wants the potential film he consulted on to be an ensemble family story set strictly in the AFD era. And while that can still be good, I feel like the more interesting story lies in what happened to Axl overall. My two pennies

• Like 2

If the story revolves around Axl and the crazyness of him, but also the brilliance then I think you have a good story.

If you can tell why Axl was the way he was and do it in a way that shows his on stage performances were a result of his anger stemming from his past then you have something emotional and compelling.

The key is getting the audience to feel for the main character. Telling a story about a rock group that got famous and a ton of money then got power hungry and broke up isn't good. You want people to love these guys, you want the audience to know that they were brilliant, but at the same time bring in a element of "these guys are human" they make mistakes.

I think it shouldn't be a 90min movie. It has to be at least 150min to tell a detailed, dramatic story. You can start and you can end the story with Axl, but I think overall it has to capture all the personalities of the band, because that's what they were back then, a band with equally important members who went through a lot of shit to reach what they reached.

Rags to riches.

Sex, drugs, violence and Rock n Roll packed with a lot of dramatic and friendship. And end the story with the release of AFD. Or when it reaches No 1 in the Billboard Charts.

I it's done to the same level as Straight Outta Compton sure but that is a big IF. Who's gonna be cast, who's directing it, how is the story being told? It need to be a 2 - 2.5 hour movie. If it's not it's a joke so........ Can't say until we see the movie

CD era shouldn't even get a sniff in a GnR movie. It's boring as fuck to the average movie goer and would only dilute the movie. To be blunt NOBODY gives a fuck about CD era and it should NOT be included in the cinematic GnR story. I know that will hurt some people's feelings but the truth hurts so...

Edited by Bono

If they make a Rocky style movie, maybe it can have success. Focusing on Axl's "crazyness" would be a mistake, because people don't want to hear about crazy people. People still want nice stories about the American dream.

The movie should focus about how they started from nothing and how they became the biggest band. A Rocky movie about a rock band, basically.

I would say "no" because sex, drugs, and excess has less broad appeal than class disparity, police violence, and racism which are some core pieces of the NWA story.

This.

From a social/political point of view, GNR never meant much.

Edited by Horowitz
  • Like 1

If they make a Rocky style movie, maybe it can have success. Focusing on Axl's "crazyness" would be a mistake, because people don't want to hear about crazy people. People still want nice stories about the American dream.

The movie should focus about how they started from nothing and how they became the biggest band. A Rocky movie about a rock band, basically.

Exactly. It doesn't need to be some psychological drama focusing on the crazy mind of Axl Rose. It should be the rags to riches story that ends after the "triumphant" massive Illusion tour. You can show the turmoil in the band but it shouldn't just be an Axl Rose and friends story. It should be a Guns N Roses story and how they became the biggest band on the planet. At the end you could show each guy with a little blurb about what each member went on to do with their lives/careers.

• Like 1

Exactly. It doesn't need to be some psychological drama focusing on the crazy mind of Axl Rose. It should be the rags to riches story that ends after the "triumphant" massive Illusion tour. You can show the turmoil in the band but it shouldn't just be an Axl Rose and friends story. It should be a Guns N Roses story and how they became the biggest band on the planet. At the end you could show each guy with a little blurb about what each member went on to do with their lives/careers.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, actually! While I still think my citizen Kane-style idea could work, I also like your thought of ending it with a bang at the end of the Illusion tour in South America, with maybe just minor hints of the demise that lies ahead, and maybe a montage of what they're all up to today

Maybe a less dramatic option than 'it will be a flop' could be added?

I don't think it would be as successful simply because of the genre of music. Rock n' roll isn't mainstream anymore, regardless of how good the story is. And in this case it's a great story (if treated right).

"Ray" was a great biopic and it wasn't mainstream music, either. If they manage to create something on this level -and that's possible with the story of Guns- then I think it could be a successful movie. Biggest problem is to find 5 actors who fit their roles as bandmembers.

What's the catch or the gimmick?

What is the key story line that separates GnR's story from other successful rock bands?

Maybe if it's tied around one specific incident that produced a lot of social commentary. Like the riot after the Metallica show. Axl yelling about the camera and jumping into the crowd.

But I think maybe a killer documentary would be the better and more interesting route.

Somebody could make 4-5 really compelling ones about GnR.

The early days

Biggest band in the world, appetite to Illusions

The riots, fights and controversies.

The breakup and Chinese democracy

The reunion

Is much rather watch those docs than watch actors try and portray all of that reduced down to a 90-minute movie.

I kind of expect a Duff biopic based on It's So Easy and Other Lies.

It's kind of could be like the Karate Kid of punk rock.

If Abel Ferrara made it, it might be good. Use Driller Killer as model. Make it really dark snd scary. Very street and sleazy. Try to get into the head of each member and it make like Fear and Loathing on Sunset Strip. Basically just up until The Stones shows. The last line could be Axl's quote David Gefffen back stage "you like that! Well its the last fucking one!"

But then sell it off the Reunion tour and Best of record.

Edited by wasted

It depends how it was told. It's not something you can say it would be good or bad. Gus Van Sant made "The Last Days" based on Cobain and felt comfortable enough to take Courtney to the screening and she was cool with it, but that got around using Nirvana music. Someone can make a movie based on GNR and have it look and sound like them, without it having to be them. The Rose was based on Janis but wasn't about her, Bette Midler didn't want to do a Janis biopic for her first movie. Fleetwood Mac's talked about doing one, Mick wrote a bio so it would probably be based on his experiences more than the relationships in the band.