Glasgow vs Edinburgh: Which city is better?

Bono

Forgive me because I'm American, so my knowledge on this matter is very limited, so I mean not to offend. I had a college class with a Welsh young man once, and he explained to me how many folks from the UK very rarely travel around the island. He did say they do, but not to the degree Americans take road trips.

What for me thinking about this is because the OP asked which city is better, and after reading the comments, I couldn't understand why you more people just don't visit both? I ask this because are the cities not fairly close in proximity?

To put this in perspective for you all, my home state of Michigan is 96,000 sq miles, while the entire UK is 93,000 sq miles. Which Michigan is a fairly big state, but it's no where near the size of California or Texas.

I guess my question is, how often do you all get in the car and say "I'm gonna go to London today" or any of the major cities? I say this because except for a few cities that are very far up north, if I choose to, I can drive to most major cities in my state and still sleep in my own bed at night. Like Detroit for example is about an hour and a half drive from my house, and I go there quite often and never stay the night down there, we always drive home. It just when I talked to the man from my class, he made it seem like that is not something his fellow country men really do.

Cuz to you guys a 3 hours drive is a trip to the shop, if i were to drive for three hours I'd be halfway across the country, plus driving over there is easier, massive fuckin' roads and everything in a straight line, here its twists and turns and narrow roads and tight turns, you gotta be fuckin awake driving over here.

Plus, road trip over here, to see what, the fuckin' Penines? :lol: Someones gonna jump in here and go H-actually Len, you ignorant cunt, there are many places of scenic beauty around here', yeah there probably are but it aint the same as the huge sprawling never ending landscapes of America, there aint mojave desert around here, where am i gonna go on a road trip round, the north circular? :lol:

Have a drive round London town one day if you're ever around here, central London, you'll get my point, its horrible.

The great English touring places...Bognor :lol: The Lake District, fuckin' Bournemouth, Southend :lol: Horrible freezing cold pebble beaches littered with heroin needles :lol: Dirty postcards and some knackered old bags boarding house who wont let you take a tart up to your room :lol:

I heard people come from America to take tours of Liverpool, who the fuck wants to see Liverpool?!? :lol: 'and here we have the docks...over there to your right is an old fishing trawler!' :lol:

They do The Magical Mystery Tour: Menlove Ave, Strawberry Fields, The Cavern, etc. Then buy some tacky Beatles memorabilia.

PS

£16.95 per ticket, ''Step aboard the colourful bus for a fascinating two hour tour, which takes you to all the places associated with John, Paul, George and Ringo as they grew up, met and formed the band that would take the world by storm.

The tour will take you to their birthplaces and childhood homes, as well as places that inspired some of their most memorable songs such as 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Field'. You will also see one of the most important places in rock and roll history - where John and Paul met for the first time.

You’ll be kept entertained on the tour by a fully qualified Beatles Guide as you discover the truly remarkable story of the boys who were to become the world’s best known musicians and you'll hear some Fab Four tunes along the way.

The tour finishes at the legendary Cavern Club, where you can present your ticket for an exclusive souvenir of your trip and enjoy live music most afternoons and evenings.''

I'm not sure if I would like it personally. I'd rather see the set of Brookside.
Edited by DieselDaisy

Forgive me because I'm American, so my knowledge on this matter is very limited, so I mean not to offend. I had a college class with a Welsh young man once, and he explained to me how many folks from the UK very rarely travel around the island. He did say they do, but not to the degree Americans take road trips.

What for me thinking about this is because the OP asked which city is better, and after reading the comments, I couldn't understand why you more people just don't visit both? I ask this because are the cities not fairly close in proximity?

To put this in perspective for you all, my home state of Michigan is 96,000 sq miles, while the entire UK is 93,000 sq miles. Which Michigan is a fairly big state, but it's no where near the size of California or Texas.

I guess my question is, how often do you all get in the car and say "I'm gonna go to London today" or any of the major cities? I say this because except for a few cities that are very far up north, if I choose to, I can drive to most major cities in my state and still sleep in my own bed at night. Like Detroit for example is about an hour and a half drive from my house, and I go there quite often and never stay the night down there, we always drive home. It just when I talked to the man from my class, he made it seem like that is not something his fellow country men really do.

Cuz to you guys a 3 hours drive is a trip to the shop, if i were to drive for three hours I'd be halfway across the country, plus driving over there is easier, massive fuckin' roads and everything in a straight line, here its twists and turns and narrow roads and tight turns, you gotta be fuckin awake driving over here.

Plus, road trip over here, to see what, the fuckin' Penines? :lol: Someones gonna jump in here and go H-actually Len, you ignorant cunt, there are many places of scenic beauty around here', yeah there probably are but it aint the same as the huge sprawling never ending landscapes of America, there aint mojave desert around here, where am i gonna go on a road trip round, the north circular? :lol:

Have a drive round London town one day if you're ever around here, central London, you'll get my point, its horrible.

The great English touring places...Bognor :lol: The Lake District, fuckin' Bournemouth, Southend :lol: Horrible freezing cold pebble beaches littered with heroin needles :lol: Dirty postcards and some knackered old bags boarding house who wont let you take a tart up to your room :lol:

I heard people come from America to take tours of Liverpool, who the fuck wants to see Liverpool?!? :lol: 'and here we have the docks...over there to your right is an old fishing trawler!' :lol:

Just to clarify, you mean baked goods or sluts?
Lady folk Johnathan, lady folk, why would i be sneaking baked goods into a boarding house in the middle of the night, I aint McLeod :lol:
Hungry after a big night out?

They do The Magical Mystery Tour: Menlove Ave, Strawberry Fields, The Cavern, etc. Then buy some tacky Beatles memorabilia.

Menlove Street is a bunch of three bed semi's, Strawberry Fields is some Salvation Army shithole and The Cavern ain't even when The Cavern was when The Beatles played, it's all a swizz (i get thats what you're saying anyway, just reiterating). 'John Lennon walked down this street as a lad', big fuckin' wow :lol:

£16.95 per ticket, ''Step aboard the colourful bus for a fascinating two hour tour, which takes you to all the places associated with John, Paul, George and Ringo as they grew up, met and formed the band that would take the world by storm.

The tour will take you to their birthplaces and childhood homes, as well as places that inspired some of their most memorable songs such as 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Field'. You will also see one of the most important places in rock and roll history - where John and Paul met for the first time.

You’ll be kept entertained on the tour by a fully qualified Beatles Guide as you discover the truly remarkable story of the boys who were to become the world’s best known musicians and you'll hear some Fab Four tunes along the way.

The tour finishes at the legendary Cavern Club, where you can present your ticket for an exclusive souvenir of your trip and enjoy live music most afternoons and evenings.''

I've always wondered, Menlove Ave is a National Trust place right, which means it's preserved etc...but it's still a three bed semi in a row of others, how do they like...protect it, if you get my meaning? Must effect the fuckin' surrounding places eh? I'd like to brick it's fuckin' windows y'know :lol:

I've never even been to Liverpool. I'm waiting for them to open up a Jimmy Corkhill exhibit, or maybe Tinhead or Sinbad.

Here it is,

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/

Imagine Snakepit there? 18th century images of naked, manacled, African ladies!

PS

I am probably stating the obvious when I state that the rational behind situating the museum there is that, Liverpool docks were where most of the slave trading vessels departed for Africa upon transatlantic slavery, and that the city proliferated upon slave profits accumulated during the 18th century.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Reminds me of this time in school they made us watch Roots, for some odd reason, in school for history. Theres this scene where theyre taking all these slave birds all chained up and all that, knockers out and that and this lad goes to my black mate Mark 'oi Mark, that one looks like your Mum!', poor lad, half the class cracked up. He ended up putting the kids head through a window :lol:

• Like 2

Even in your exceptions such as Edinburgh or York, you can go down the wrong street and be confronted by a sight thoroughly offensive to the eyes and ears, generic high streets, squalid estates inhabited by gangs of louts, street-upon-street of uniformly drab and cramped terraced housing

So you visited my street? The poor sods who turn the wrong way out of the Railway Museum...

But this is sort of my point, you do have some pretty amazing things to go and see. Perhaps not the ones you mentioned, but other places Would be really something. Like if I lived over there, I would have to visit Stonehenge or loch Ness. Those places would have such an allure, I would have to visit them at least once in my life, but in all reality, I would probably visit them multiple times.

Don't you ever feel the need to go and see those things Len?

But this is sort of my point, you do have some pretty amazing things to go and see. Perhaps not the ones you mentioned, but other places Would be really something. Like if I lived over there, I would have to visit Stonehenge or loch Ness. Those places would have such an allure, I would have to visit them at least once in my life, but in all reality, I would probably visit them multiple times.

Don't you ever feel the need to go and see those things Len?

As a lad they just seemed boring and pointless to be honest, now im older id probably go but in my teens and 20s i couldnt give a fuck for stonehenge to be honest :shrugs:

Now America theres 50 million places id wanna go there! Theres more in America to appeal to the lad in you.

My fiend live next to the Millwall ground next to prison. There was vibe. Basically you are going die. He got mugged a couple times and we virtually got beat up for smoking weed in this pub. Oh wait no we werent they just thought we were. I fucked one of them up by accident. I was laughing at what they were saying. And one of them ran at us and I sort of got out the way snd tripped him and he went head first in to this gate. We ran like fuck. Never went back to millwall.

• Like 1

What actually is Stonehenge, physically speaking? Some massive fuck off rocks basically. I mean i understand historical context but as a lad thats not really very interesting, in and of itself its just massive fuck off stones arranged a certain way.

Or the lake district, was always a bit of a Volvo drivers destination in my ignorant child mind.

But yeah, should go really, i dont really even venture much outside of the south east. Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford...other than that aint been nowhere really.

Nobody knows. It is neolithic, built circa 2500 BC. The most common explanation is that it had something to do with religious ritual; the popular explanation is that the Druids sacrificed their victims in the middle of it. Other explanations are that it was a scientific clock of some sort, involving astronomical measurement perhaps? It might have been just an imposing monument to indicate a ruler or tribe's imperium, displaying prestige and military/economic dominance over the surrounding area.

Well Stonehenge is all about Solstice or sun worship? Its basically a sun dial. Which is just a crap clock really. Hippy shit. Its near Glastonbury. Once Bill Bryson went there for coffee it sucked.

Lake District is about hiking. Its not all about walking. Beautiful countryside etc. what is that? Thats a cow. What the fuck is that?! That is a cow pat. Dont touch it!

All this stuff is now commerciized and sort of twee. I sure there are real mofo walkers etc. but really it's just kind of like central london, it's a theme park.

Like Cornwall or Devon I like the idea but its basically just a touristy traffic jam.

Ive been everywhere. Its like football theres different games going in different styles, but its the same game, all meaningless and corrupt. Yes master Vader, I'll bring your cocktail up immeadiately.

So I decided to do some research to try and answer my own questions, and I think I have discovered some answers. For one it appears many of the larger cities are quite far a part, so that would make them difficult to just visit for the day. I'm my post I compared my travles to detroit. Well upon doing some research, it appears my house to detroit is probably only 15 or 20 miles further than traveling between ediburgh and Glasgow. So that puts it in some perspective their. Also to travel from london up to edinburgh, that for me, would be like traveling from my house to way up north, and when I do that, it's defiantly an over night or longer trip.

Even though our areas are similiar in sq miles, the layouts are very different. For one, the three biggest cities in the state; flint, detroit, and grand rapids are all within 100 miles from each other. The whole brother portion of my state, does have some cities, but nothing near the scale of Glasgow I'm sure. Its more towns and villiages up north, no metropolis' for sure.

Also, another thing that probably makes travel much more difficult over there, is the population. I think I read 64 million people. Here, in my state, it's like 9 million people. So a lot more empty land for sure. Plus a lot less traffic on the roads.

Sorry to detail your thread, just trying to do as close to an apples to apples comparison that I could. Just to try an understand what it's like over there better. Which btw, if I ever visit europe, the UK and Ireland are my top priorities. I'm very curious if your countries

Yeah after reading this I don't think I would be able to put it inot perspective how "isolated" it is where I live. I've gone on raod trips and not seen another human being on the road for literally 2 hours. That's me driving anywhere between 100 - 150 km an hour for 2 hours and not see another vehicle. You couldn't do that in Europe and in fact I don't think there's anywhere in the United States that you could except maybe Alaska, which is only a 2 hour drive from where I'm at. I once drove for 9 hours and counted 6 vehicles haha.

Here's an example. I filmed this while driving 2 springs ago. Not one fucking vehicle expect me on the road. Some of the best scenery in the world as well and I had it all to myself.

Winter driving

Edited by Bono

I'm quite interested in the druids that are about now, are they actually like...people who live a way out lifestyle or just nobheads who dress in cowls for the weekend but actually work selling insurance in Bracknell or something?

The Romans suppressed the Druids in the 1st Century. So little is known about them and their beliefs that it would actually be very hard to recreate their religion accurately even if the desire existed. From what we know it was a Shamanistic religion which practiced human sacrifice; the priests had immense power in iron age Britain. The modern Druids are mostly hippy types who have appropriated the name Druids for various bucolic spiritual practices. I mean, judge for yourself,

Druids%2C_in_the_early_morning_glow_of_t

Len, where would you want to go in America? Yes their are some pretty amazing things here, I would classify them into 3 catagories; natural wonders and historic locations, cities, and amusement parks. Now amusement parks are fun, but they are sort of tourist traps really. Comercialized enviroments just for taking your money. Disney World and all that are defiantly worth 1 visit, especially if you have kids, but truth be told they are not my kind of vacations.

Cities are great, but I can't imagine it's all that different experience over here as opposed to over there. Obviously New York and London are two different cities, but at the end of the day they are over crowded concrete jungles. Tons of things to do, and I love visiting them, but not a place I would want to live.

Natural Wonders and historic locations are really the coolest things about this planet imo. That's why I mentioned Stonehenge and loch Ness. Over here, we don't have anything nearly as old as stonehenge, It's like visiting the pyramids or something. The oldest things in America are old military forts and such, which they are pretty cool. We have a couple in northern Michigan that date back to late 1600 early 1700 hundreds. We actually visited those last summer, I enjoyed that.

I get the feeling you would like to go to the grand canyon and things like that. Which I can honestly say I've never been there, it's like 2000 miles away give or take. But it's defiantly something that's on my bucket list. I did fly over the Rocky mountains once, that was pretty cool. So ya I get what your saying, America is so different geographically. Like where I live, we get 4 full seasons, we have tons of fresh water, and are right in the middle of the great lakes (which are really the most beautiful bodies of water on the planet. They are like fresh water seas. They are warm in the summer time, with beautiful sandy beaches, and of course are salt and shark free. We also get a lot of snow in the winter. So it's a completely different living experience from day California or Florida. Which those states are more sub tropical, warm weather all year round.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ