Anyone prefer listen to cds than live shows?

wasted

I know this is hard rock site mainly and live is very important.

But overall I prefer listening at home. Especially to getting shitty seats in a vacuous arena.

I suppose in the 90s seeing GNR, Faith No More, ACDC, Stones was awesome. But now it doesnt get me excited.

Am I alone?

It's more just an excuse to go out really, i don't really get a lot out of live gigs no more. Last one that REALLY blew me away was seeing The Stooges do Raw Power right the way through (and more) at Hammersmith but thats just Iggy and puts on a fuckin' mental show and of course, it's The fucking Stooges, once in a lifetime dream thing for me, having grown up an obssessive fan of em. Can't tell you how great it was to hear Jo-HANNNNNAA and Cock in my Pocket and Sick of Youth and Shake Appeal and etc etc etc live, it was one of the greatest gig experiences of my life. Thats got to've been 2010/2011. I dunno, it's alright but i don't really go for like...just the music so much as to be listening to music in the same place with a bunch of people...for some reason thats enjoyable.

Generally speaking though i can't be fuckin' bothered no more, I'd rather go watch the football.

I will take a live show over listening to the CD only if I have decent seats. I can't be bothered going to a Stadium show where I am so far away the performers are the size of ants and I have to watch some video screen to see what they are doing. In that case I would rather listen to a live bootleg of the show. That being said I think the visuals of a live show add a lot to the music experience, at least for me.

definitely if you can get close. I saw Jane's Addiction for a reunion show that was cool. GNR in Taipei was exciting. But the last few Stones, Metallica I just felt like going there for sake of it.

If I had to choose I'd take the cds over live shows.

I think the live experience is superior but I do not really bother with live gigs now - only Neil Young would get me out of the house now. They are too much of a hassle being overpriced and played in vacuous hockey arenas. I now spend the money, I used to spend on gigs, on cricket basically.

But do you buy cds?

Rarely but yes. I have recently become fond of these budget boxsets - basically somebody's entire discography for a tenner - that you can now buy. The last one I got was all The Jacksons' albums for around a tenner in nice little replica cardboard sleeves. I also like buying boxsets of classical music. Most of the music I now buy is classical music in fact.

Isnt cricket worse than rockshows? Maybe not on price but can you see anything?

Nah, not in your English county ground. You are correct if you are in, what the Americans call, 'nosebleeds' in the gigantic Australian and Indian stadia like the MCG and The Gabba.

Yeah i got Kiss and Aerosmith two albums for hardly anything. But not full packaging.

I went to see Fulham play that was 30-40 quid. I wouldn't go often. I just seem to be passive at events so whats the point? Im not jumping up and down. But When Alicia Keys did New York State of Mind with Jay z rapping on a screen it was pretty moving. It was electric.

Is there a redeeming aspect of live shows? You have to travel and you are always sweaty and the beer is £5 per pint and people crushed up at the barrier or lingering around with other sweaty human beings, usually smelling of marijuana and B.O - there are some appaling specimens of humanity at metal shows. Furthermore, everyone is obsessed with taking your money; whether it is the hog roast kiosk or some one trying to flog you a £25 t-shirt, everyone seems determined to obtain the notes lying in your wallet, and placing them in their own wallet. Then there is travelling back - especially from an Axl Rose gig. £50 taxi fees! And you wake up depressed, broke, with tinnitus and nursing a bad hangover.

You could have stayed at home, bought a four-pack and listened to the compact disc.

• Like 2

I know this is hard rock site mainly and live is very important.

But overall I prefer listening at home. Especially to getting shitty seats in a vacuous arena.

I suppose in the 90s seeing GNR, Faith No More, ACDC, Stones was awesome. But now it doesnt get me excited.

Am I alone?

Agree 98%

A live show is three hours of fun.

A CD can be listened do thousands of times. That's thousands of hours of enjoyment.

Edited by Apollo

I have very rarely seen a band live then got the cd. Maybe I did that with Clutch after seeing them open for Raging Speedhorn.

I really like album rock I suppose too. Kind of old fashioned.

I think if Megadeth were playing Rust in Peace I'd be more interested. But I missed that.

After that i need a really great live band with legend singer like Axl, Roth or Jagger. Metallica have songs but no show.

It depends on the band really. Going to a show is getting to be a pain for me. If I really care I want to be in standing room which means no beer no bud and no bathroom for three hours or more. If I don't really care and would buy a sitting spot it's almost never worth the price and not usually as fun.

I prefer festivals because I can walk around, camp, hang out, and see multiple groups live for one price. It tends to be a live experience that is more worthwhile to me

It depends on the band really. Going to a show is getting to be a pain for me. If I really care I want to be in standing room which means no beer no bud and no bathroom for three hours or more. If I don't really care and would buy a sitting spot it's almost never worth the price and not usually as fun.

I prefer festivals because I can walk around, camp, hang out, and see multiple groups live for one price. It tends to be a live experience that is more worthwhile to me

No beer?!?

Going to a concert isn't about hearing them play the songs exactly how they are on the album. It's about the experience, the atmosphere, the energy in the building feeling the energy from the band. Those kinds of things. If you're not going to a show for those reasons you're going for the wrong reasons.

Sounds like a lot of washed up old farts in here. Stay home and sit on your couch and listen to your music then fellas.

• Like 1

My second to last concert was Kiss at Newcastle Arena. Sitting in my seat watching the support (some American Maiden rip) with the house lights on was interesting. Some incredibly drunk guy was unsuccessfully trying to crawl up the arena stairs. He had reached that really messy - lost all control of body functions; wondering how you are going to return home; consciously aware that you should be enjoying this concert as you have wasted £60 on it, but you are simply too drunk to enjoy it, and that people in the arena are beginning to notice your pee stain - state, and this was just the opening act! This MILF dressed like it was 1987 sat in the seat in front and began to do some slutty gyrations. What other experiences have I got? Going through one of those frustrating waiting for Axl procedures in the foyer in 2006 and this stoned old hippy sat next to me and said, ''hey kid, de ya naa when Led Zeppelin are starting?''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

No beer?!?

If I leave standing room to get beers, I lose my spot and gotta stand at the back.

I'm a super unintimidating looking dude so it's always been hard to jam my way to the front

At the Metalica show I remained sitting even for the hits and these two chicks stood on the rail gyrating in front of me completely blocking my view it was rude.

Going to a concert isn't about hearing them play the songs exactly how they are on the album. It's about the experience, the atmosphere, the energy in the building feeling the energy from the band. Those kinds of things. If you're not going to a show for those reasons you're going for the wrong reasons.

Sounds like a lot of washed up old farts in here. Stay home and sit on your couch and listen to your music then fellas.

True the build up is good. The songs playing on the pa. then the opener is always exciting. For metallica i had side seats that could see backstage. So i could see them arriving by golf carts and Its a Long Way to the Top by DC was playing and they coming out to glory. It was cool. But them the show was dreary. For Whom the Bell Tolls is my theme tune. You stop liking shows then you just get old and die.