Axl burning a Nirvana hat with the band playing Smells Like Teen Spirit in the background

I was listening to Chinese Democracy last night and trying to figure out where people are hearing NIN, Pearl Jam, etc. The closest it comes to sounding remotely like Nine Inch Nails is "Shackler's Revenge," where there are some industrial flourishes. It's a guitar rock album, a big, bloated, but awesome, guitar rock album. No traces of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc. either.

I would say Chi dem has a Nirvana element, Shacklers sounds a bit Korn/Zombie, Better has a NIN feel. The producers of CD: Beavan (NIN, Manson), Roy Thomas Baker (Queen), Costanzo (RATM). Mixed by Wallace of Nirvana.

Pearl Jam I don't hear, maybe the riff in TWAT, but its tenuous. maybe the general compression of the riffs.

I could imagine someone listen to the first 3 tracks and thinking this isnt really GNR, it's nu metal Etc. then SOD does really sound like GNR but the production is kind of glossier than usual.

CD isn't a 80s hard rock record. You get that with Slash solo records. And more of a punky rock n roll feel from Izzy solo. Theres no real obvious punk vibe that Duff would add.

Like you said it's more Axl centric big rock album.

I was listening to Chinese Democracy last night and trying to figure out where people are hearing NIN, Pearl Jam, etc. The closest it comes to sounding remotely like Nine Inch Nails is "Shackler's Revenge," where there are some industrial flourishes. It's a guitar rock album, a big, bloated, but awesome, guitar rock album. No traces of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc. either.

I would say Chi dem has a Nirvana element, Shacklers sounds a bit Korn/Zombie, Better has a NIN feel. The producers of CD: Beavan (NIN, Manson), Roy Thomas Baker (Queen), Costanzo (RATM). Mixed by Wallace of Nirvana.

Pearl Jam I don't hear, maybe the riff in TWAT, but its tenuous. maybe the general compression of the riffs.

I could imagine someone listen to the first 3 tracks and thinking this isnt really GNR, it's nu metal Etc. then SOD does really sound like GNR but the production is kind of glossier than usual.

CD isn't a 80s hard rock record. You get that with Slash solo records. And more of a punky rock n roll feel from Izzy solo. Theres no real obvious punk vibe that Duff would add.

Like you said it's more Axl centric big rock album.

Some good points, although I still don't see any Nirvana influences, or PJ.

So much blind hatred and ignorance in this thread that it is unbelievable and laughable :lol:

You seem like a Nirvana fan judging off your icon. I've never listened to them outside of their singles. If I were to listen to an album of theirs, which would you recommend?

try Nevermind

however quick google search it seems ppl think In Utero is thier best but i prefer Nevermind

the only song on there i can't stand is the last one (hidden track called endless, nameless)...sounds like shit to me

Edited by -HollywoodRose-

Anyone know much about the context of this event? I can only make out some of what Axl is saying. Sounds like he says something about used to liking Nirvana, something about them being a band made up of wusses, and they (Nirvana) act like they're the only band doing anything different (?) in the world

I think the band starts playing Smells Like Teen Spirit in the background. The way they play it, to me, It sounds sort of eerie. Cool video.

This is literally the first time i've ever seen or heard about this and i read a LOT about Axl and Cobain, GNR and Nirvana etc....

wtf....

How come it was never mentioned here earlier? i remember a lot of Axl vs. Kurt, GNR vs. Nirvana, Duff and Kurt threads in the past few years and NOBODY bring this up....

Genius find

Edited by Strange Broue

Nirvana, one of the most overrated bands in history. Kurt Cobain, one of the most overrated frontmen/writers in history. Simple music, incoherent lyrics that were described as genius because they didn't make any sense and, therefore , must have been so. Nirvana was anti everything which is fine but play music for free then or be real. GNR revived rock music and paved the way for nirvana. nirvana had one good album. After that, themselves as a band and their next album showed decline and, had Cobain not shot himself, we would have seen that continue. Instead they received martyr status. Pearl Jam and GNR shit all over Nirvana and Cobain. Foo Fighters shit all over Nirvana and Cobain. Nirvana was was a one trick pony and their simple songs had no staying power.

Nirvana, one of the most overrated bands in history. Kurt Cobain, one of the most overrated frontmen/writers in history. Simple music, incoherent lyrics that were described as genius because they didn't make any sense and, therefore , must have been so. Nirvana was anti everything which is fine but play music for free then or be real. GNR revived rock music and paved the way for nirvana. nirvana had one good album. After that, themselves as a band and their next album showed decline and, had Cobain not shot himself, we would have seen that continue. Instead they received martyr status. Pearl Jam and GNR shit all over Nirvana and Cobain. Foo Fighters shit all over Nirvana and Cobain. Nirvana was was a one trick pony and their simple songs had no staying power.

Your whole post is wrong

Nirvana maybe over rated, i can give you that

But GNR paved the way for them?

are you fucking kidding me?

The grunge scene got nothing to do with GNR...

GNR also had ONE good album, after that they also showed decline with lots of fillers on the UYI's and later on you got CD...

Foo Fighters is a pop rock band. They are good, though but Nirvana is better than the Foo's

Their simple songs still got radio airplay after 25 years, man

What a clueless post

• Like 1

Your whole post is wrong

Nirvana maybe over rated, i can give you that

But GNR paved the way for them?

are you fucking kidding me?

The grunge scene got nothing to do with GNR...

GNR also had ONE good album, after that they also showed decline with lots of fillers on the UYI's and later on you got CD...

Foo Fighters is a pop rock band. They are good, though but Nirvana is better than the Foo's

Their simple songs still got radio airplay after 25 years, man

What a clueless post

good work. make a point by not denying what i said directly but by putting down gnr on a gnr forum. so you are a fan of two overrated badnds. smart move.

you said my post is all wrong but you only stated one thing to disagree with: you disagree that gnr paved the way for nirvana?

grunge is a form of rock. calling nirvana rock music is no more off than calling gnr rock if the stones and even elvis are rock. rock is rock. it is a large spectrum. grunge or alternative is a form of rock. either way, outside of ozzy, there was noone listening to anything remotely similar to to nirvana or gnr when gnr hit the scene and gnr emobodied that rockn roll do what we want attitude that nirvana later did. do you know who was dominating the radio when gnr took over? look it up if you dont. it was a depressing time before gnr in the rock/ music world and please, when you figure that out, explain how we jump directly from that to nirvana without gnr. Thanks.

p.s. use your illusions shit all over in utero. people are still listening to november rain on the radio and locomotive on their players because they are more than a few chords and a poppy hook disguised as grunge. i havent heard any nirvana on my alternative or rock radio stations in years. but im sure you have or will say so.

good work. make a point by not denying what i said directly but by putting down gnr on a gnr forum. so you are a fan of two overrated badnds. smart move.

you said my post is all wrong but you only stated one thing to disagree with: you disagree that gnr paved the way for nirvana?

grunge is a form of rock. calling nirvana rock music is no more off than calling gnr rock if the stones and even elvis are rock. rock is rock. it is a large spectrum. grunge or alternative is a form of rock. either way, outside of ozzy, there was noone listening to anything remotely similar to to nirvana or gnr when gnr hit the scene and gnr emobodied that rockn roll do what we want attitude that nirvana later did. do you know who was dominating the radio when gnr took over? look it up if you dont. it was a depressing time before gnr in the rock/ music world and please, when you figure that out, explain how we jump directly from that to nirvana without gnr. Thanks.

p.s. use your illusions shit all over in utero. people are still listening to november rain on the radio and locomotive on their players because they are more than a few chords and a poppy hook disguised as grunge. i havent heard any nirvana on my alternative or rock radio stations in years. but im sure you have or will say so.

Form of rock? yes

The word you are looking for is subgenre

I'm not putting GNR down per se, I even like the filler songs. We are talking about the majority point of view here or rock history POV, aren't we?

Depressing time? maybe for hair metal bands in the 90's :lol:

But yeah, Michael Jackson was probably bigger than GNR or Nirvana combined and don't forget Metallica from the metal scene!

Ozzy was wanted to retire after No More Tears :lol:

Nirvana and GNR got nothing in common, the whole point of grunge was an anti-rockstar persona (of course that is hypocrisy, though, i'm not arguing with that). The whole point of GNR by 1991 is being a rockstar

UYI and In Utero are completely different records from other subgenres of rock music. You are just too dumb to comprehend musical genres, i guess

People listening to November Rain (the most cheesy GNR song). Yeah, that's true (and sad). It will be better if people listening too their hard rock songs, not for their ballads...

People still listening to Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are and other songs from Nirvana. More than a few chords? that not the point

I guess you know nothing about punk rock in general. Punk rock is just a few chords but it is waaay more important points on there than that....

You haven't heard Nirvana in years from your aélternative radio stations? lol

Radio stations are dead, but i still hear Nirvana even on casual stations.... If we are talking about online radio, then you still would have loose your point

Most online mainstream/alter stations still play, GNR, Nirvana, Metallica.... They are ALL mainstream bands even for alternative....

Everybody who turned 16 and grow up don't go this Nirvana vs. GNR vs. Metallica war.... It's possible to like all of them y'know

you are just an average joe with average musical knowledge

Edited by Strange Broue

I would describe the Illusions as 2 good albums. I think both albums have enough great/classic songs to be labeled great albums, but it seems like the filler tracks bring both albums down quite a bit as far as the general opinion of them goes. And I think labeling AFD as just a 'good' album is a disservice to it.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

Guns N Roses and Nirvana are lightyears better than any band post 2000, imho.

After the Nu Metal era, rock music in general is dying

for the mainstream

Some might say that even Nu Metal era was shit, but iguess that just an aging gap :lol:

Originality is dead for the mainstream now

I would describe the Illusions as 2 good albums (I think both are great but it seems like the filler tracks bring both albums down quite a bit as far as the general opinion of those albums go), and AFD as one CLASSIC album. Labeling AFD as just a 'good' album is a disservice to it

Okay, i referred and used ""good" for the dude's post

AFD is the best and ultimate GNR album. Axl still living from those hits....

UYI contains GNR's best song: YCBM and their best commercial songs: NR etc. but also contains too much fillers... it was inevitable in a 30 songs set....

The best songs on the UYI's rooted back in the AFD years so...

Their entire catalog was written between 1985 and 1990. 5 years

That is remarkable and sad at the same time.... we all know what went down after 1993....

Edited by Strange Broue

strange broue dont call me dumb. i have an iq of 150 and a degree in music. all you have is your opinion and an inability to debate or objectively overrule my points. the more info and big words you try to use the less sense you make.

now i see you are backtracking in response to others as they validate my points.

Edited by nproducing

I would describe the Illusions as 2 good albums. I think both albums have enough great/classic songs to be labeled great albums, but it seems like the filler tracks bring both albums down quite a bit as far as the general opinion of them goes. And I think labeling AFD as just a 'good' album is a disservice to it.

I'd cut the fat, maybe remove 2-3 songs from each. Something like "Shotgun Blues" should have been a b side. That said, I think there is enough good songs to warrant two separate albums.

Bands like the Libertines, Vampire Weekend, etc., do nothing for me. Jack White is alright, but is no Dylan or Hendrix. I don't know if I'm just old or what, but there hasn't been a new band that I have really liked since the early 1990's.

Maybe 1967-1999 was rock's golden age and that's that.

Edited by RichardNixon

Everytime Nirvana comes up I get mad, Kurt sucked, Suicide is always selfish especially when you have a kid

His wife was as useless a person as there has ever been.

Nirvana's music was fine, but for those that thought it was ground breaking or whatever..it's not. Although I blame Nirvana for the garbage that came out in the rock genre after them. We got this generic rock sound and the whole genre became a joke, or associated with alternative music or whatever. People started calling anyone famous a rock star, but truth is GNR was the last to live it.

Nirvana sucks bc they made fun of the very thing making them famous and they acted like they hated everything, so after they got famous we were left with a bunch of emo pussies.

If your a fan I'm not attacking you, you can like what you like. I'm a classic rock fan, I like to think GNR captured the last bits of this genre, but there's plenty of reason to make fun of being a Gnr fan.

The biggest difference is nobody could replicate what Gn'R sounded like or did. It was easy to make yourself a Nirvana band, just go out there make crappy music, if someone criticizes it then tell them how messed up the industry is and how your music is going against what everyone else is doing. Which is fine, but I'd prefer these bands to say they suck, have no talent and will pursue a new profession.

GN'R has in my opinion created a body of work considered "timeless" people will listen to this and love it for many more decades. Once the age of emo pussies has grown up and gotten out of the ear of people today telling them Nirvana changed everything for the better...then we can judge their work and say "you know they were overrated"

But who knows. Maybe killing yourself is a timeless move that will save Nirvana from being judged correctly.

• Like 2

You guys intellectualize this stuff way too much. A rocker burned a hat of a band he was feuding with, I find it quite funny. The end.

this.

it happened two and a half decades ago. it's like if meek mill and drake fans were still arguing over their beef and taking sides in 2040. imagine how ridiculous that would be.

even axl himself would probably be the first person to put aside personal beef and acknowledge Nirvana for its historical and musical impact, much less be the first person to enjoy the music (which he certainly did back then).

axl had an ego and so did kurt, but they had different ways of expressing them.

i love all these people pointing out that kurt was a "hypocrite" -- well, yes, he was, and the fact that he wrestled with this through his music is part of what made him so compelling. you guys must be missing the entire point of songs like "all apologies". or check out that HBO documentary where you see him wrestling with his hypocrisy in his journals...it's not like the guy didn't see it in himself. likewise, axl was a huge hypocrite in his time -- when he was on the rise he relentlessly bashed the kind of commercial bands that GN'R ended up becoming in its most bloated and commercial days.

when you're a young male on top of the world battling the looming threat of celebrity, you're going to become fairly arrogant and narcissistic and combative and hypocritical along with plenty of other things -- if you genuinely don't like Nirvana then fine, whatever, nevermind, but it's like being trapped in some weird time warp every time people bring up Kurt on these forums, as if some people truly still hate the guy with seething passion just because he had the nerve to beef with another popular young male singer almost three decades ago. It's kind of sad, tbh.

• Like 1

Nirvana just wasn't that good on a musical level. But they appealed to a generation and really changed the way people view music. (I don't like how they changed it but hey I'm in the minority here)

Kurt should be honored though. He was in a fight his whole life. He fought himself...yea he was rich, famous, had the drugs, a crazy wife, a beautiful kid, and everything we all want! But that's not what Kurt wanted. He didn't ask for all the attention, he just wanted nothing. In the end getting everything and wanting nothing was too much to handle.

He lost his fight with himself and died, thus immortalizing one of the most mediocre famous bands in the history of music!

All just my opinion, so if you love Nirvana than great! Nothing against anyone for liking something I don't like. I'm glad for those that really understand the music these guys made. Sadly I don't.

• Like 1