Axl burning a Nirvana hat with the band playing Smells Like Teen Spirit in the background

I was listening to Chinese Democracy last night and trying to figure out where people are hearing NIN, Pearl Jam, etc. The closest it comes to sounding remotely like Nine Inch Nails is "Shackler's Revenge," where there are some industrial flourishes. It's a guitar rock album, a big, bloated, but awesome, guitar rock album. No traces of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc. either.

I would say Chi dem has a Nirvana element, Shacklers sounds a bit Korn/Zombie, Better has a NIN feel. The producers of CD: Beavan (NIN, Manson), Roy Thomas Baker (Queen), Costanzo (RATM). Mixed by Wallace of Nirvana.

Pearl Jam I don't hear, maybe the riff in TWAT, but its tenuous. maybe the general compression of the riffs.

I could imagine someone listen to the first 3 tracks and thinking this isnt really GNR, it's nu metal Etc. then SOD does really sound like GNR but the production is kind of glossier than usual.

CD isn't a 80s hard rock record. You get that with Slash solo records. And more of a punky rock n roll feel from Izzy solo. Theres no real obvious punk vibe that Duff would add.

Like you said it's more Axl centric big rock album.

Some good points, although I still don't see any Nirvana influences, or PJ.
I think because the production on Chi dem is more Beavan and Costanzo, glossier but riff and drums kind of Nirvana. It reminds me of Nirvana.

Fight Song, Vertigo, More than a Feeling, Teen Spirit. Actually sometimes I hear Custard Pie in Chi dem. theres definitely effects and beats from Nin and Korn, those spooky noises on Better. Shacklers chorus live is like Korn too.

But theres a solid amount of older style stuff like SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar, This I Love. These arent nu metal to me.

Edited by wasted

Axl was such a pussy back in the day. Just like Cobain.

Well, Axl didn't kill himself, so I guess the "who was the bigger pussy?" question is answered.

Axl had some bad times, he writes songs about them. Kurt put a gun in his mouth because life is hard. He left a baby behind because it was hard to be a famous rich person.

Nirvana just wasn't that good on a musical level. But they appealed to a generation and really changed the way people view music. (I don't like how they changed it but hey I'm in the minority here)

Kurt should be honored though. He was in a fight his whole life. He fought himself...yea he was rich, famous, had the drugs, a crazy wife, a beautiful kid, and everything we all want! But that's not what Kurt wanted. He didn't ask for all the attention, he just wanted nothing. In the end getting everything and wanting nothing was too much to handle.

He lost his fight with himself and died, thus immortalizing one of the most mediocre famous bands in the history of music!

All just my opinion, so if you love Nirvana than great! Nothing against anyone for liking something I don't like. I'm glad for those that really understand the music these guys made. Sadly I don't.

They had one good album and 3-4 good tracks. It all kind of sounded the same. It also changed the direction of music. There is a pretty well known story about the first time Twisted Sister heard "Smells like Teen Spirit" The guitar player they instantly knew they were done.

Edited by DeadSlash

Nirvana just wasn't that good on a musical level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmkuH1k7uA

That was good, but like I said, it's not "that" good. This band is considered one of the greatest of all time. Kurt likes to write music that has a slow tempo with elevations in it, he sings soft then raises his voice to achieve whatever his sad (emotion) lyrics are.

I guess I'm disappointed by the fact that he lacks range and the band stays within a few chords. They did well with what they are, but they don't stretch the boundaries of music talent. I guess I can't hate them for not being perfect, but the sound is repetitive and I consider it to be less than what other people elevate them to be.

Edited by IncitingChaos

Well, Axl didn't kill himself, so I guess the "who was the bigger pussy?" question is answered.

Axl had some bad times, he writes songs about them. Kurt put a gun in his mouth because life is hard. He left a baby behind because it was hard to be a famous rich person.

Yeah. That's exactly what happened. Cobain put a gun in his mouth and left his baby behind because it was hard to be a famous rich person. You got it.

You fucking people disgust me with your ignorant bullshit. This entire thread is blind hate. Yeah, this is a GN'R board and I expect no less but hate for Nirvana, but Jesus Christ, stop and think about what you say before you say it. The man is dead, why you are bashing him? Depression is a serious illness, which he suffered from, amongst other illnesses.

Many reports and biographies show that Cobain had been diagnosed as being manically depressed, with a bipolar disorder and ADD very early in his life, long before Nirvana came into existence or even thought about. Even as a child he was a recluse; especially after his parents divorced. At one point in his life after the divorce, he was left homeless living under a bridge. He witnessed many of his family members commit suicide as well. He wasn't the first Cobain to off himself. Apparently depression ran in his family. Yeah, what a pussy. Everyone handles these things differently. Struggled with it throughout his life and of course at the peak of Nirvanas success. Not to mention, the guy wanted to just find love and family with Courtney and his baby, but ultimately knew she was cheating on him and siphoning money from him for drugs.

All this said, he definitely wanted to be famous contrary to popular belief. Kurt worked hard to achieve that new sound that changed rock and roll, and create the album that dethroned Michael Jacksons Dangerous at the top of the charts. Kurt not only was the sound of the band, but also was behind many various projects that catapulted the bands success. He created the art behind the bands T-Shirts, was behind very single that was put onto the radio, and was very aware of every review, interview, and music video of the band was on and how often it would be aired.

Simply said, we do not know how the brain works, and with cases such as depression, you have to be very careful about how you talk about suicide like that. Like Kurt or not, or like Nirvana or not, you cannot deny the things that Kurt/Nirvana achieved during their height and reign under rock and roll, which, Axl Rose was very envious of, thus the hate.

American Music Awards

Won American Music Award

Category: Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Artist

Got nomination for American Music Award

Category: Favorite New Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Artist

ECHO Awards, Germany

1993:

Got nomination for ECHO Award

Category: International Group of the Year

Grammy Awards

Won Grammy Award

Category: Best Alternative Music Performance for "MTV Unplugged In New York"

Got nomination for Grammy Award

Category: Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group for "All Apologies"

Category: Best Alternative Music Performance for "In Utero"

Category: Best Rock Song for "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Category: Best Alternative Music Performance for "Nevermind"

MTV Video Music Awards

Won MTV Video Music Award

category Best Alternative Video for "Heart-Shaped Box"

Got nomination for MTV Video Music Award

Category: Video of the Year for "Heart-Shaped Box"

Category: Viewer's Choice for "Heart-Shaped Box"

Category: Best Alternative Video for "In Bloom"

Category: Best Alternative Video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Category: Best New Artist

Category: Video of the Year for "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Category: Viewer's Choice for "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

NME Awards

Got nomination for NME Award

category: Best Reissue for "In Utero: 20th Anniversary Edition"

Q Awards

Got nomination for Q Award

Category: Greatest Act of the Last 25 Years

Radio Music Awards

Got nomination for Radio Music Award
Category: Artist of the Year/ Alternative and Active Rock Radio

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Won Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Category: Performer

ShockWaves NME Awards

Got nomination for Shockwaves NME Award

Category: Best DVD for "Live @ Reading"

Won Shockwaves NME Award

Category: Best Music DVD for "Unplugged in New York"

Got nomination for ShockWaves NME Award

Category: Best Music DVD for "With The Lights Out"

Nirvana is ranked #30 on The Rolling Stone's 100 best musicians of all time ahead of many greats like Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Eagles, Metallica, Sex Pistols,The Allman Brothers, Cream, Queen, Aerosmith, Janis Joplin, The Doors, David Bowie, John Lennon, Madonna.... I could keep going. Oh, and GN'R is ranked at a steady #92.

nirvana_smiley_by_timcardner-d65dpgb.jpg

• Like 3

tumblr_mu49mm3VKz1r3updmo1_500.jpg

He's wearing a RHCP shirt. I guess he had a falling out with them at some point too considering his comments after last year's halftime show :lol:

Yeah, because he can travel back in time and put on a RHCP shirt, to make amends about the comments he made about the band in 2014.

2v3lsex.gif

• Like 1

Axl and Kurt we're basically opposite sides of the same coin. Both the biggest rock stars of their era but completely opposite personalities in many ways.

It was not lost on me that Axl began his slow disappearance from the media and music world in 1994, the same year Cobain took his life. Maybe they we're in some weird way karmically connected. By that point the burdens of extreme stardom had taken their toll. They both left in different ways.

• Like 1

It's weird to think this way but taking your own life as a frontman/singer keeps you in rock history, mystique & 20 year later hipsters buy your merchandise. If Kurt hadn't have killed himself or if he was murdered.....would Nirvana be held in such great esteem or would they just be a popular band until Kurt turns solo because that's what would have happened.

It's weird to think this way but taking your own life as a frontman/singer keeps you in rock history, mystique & 20 year later hipsters buy your merchandise. If Kurt hadn't have killed himself or if he was murdered.....would Nirvana be held in such great esteem or would they just be a popular band until Kurt turns solo because that's what would have happened.

Are you asking a question here?

strange broue dont call me dumb. i have an iq of 150 and a degree in music. all you have is your opinion and an inability to debate or objectively overrule my points. the more info and big words you try to use the less sense you make.

now i see you are backtracking in response to others as they validate my points.

Hi wfa

Yeah. That's exactly what happened. Cobain put a gun in his mouth and left his baby behind because it was hard to be a famous rich person. You got it.

You fucking people disgust me with your ignorant bullshit. This entire thread is blind hate. Yeah, this is a GN'R board and I expect no less but hate for Nirvana, but Jesus Christ, stop and think about what you say before you say it. The man is dead, why you are bashing him? Depression is a serious illness, which he suffered from, amongst other illnesses.

Many reports and biographies show that Cobain had been diagnosed as being manically depressed, with a bipolar disorder and ADD very early in his life, long before Nirvana came into existence or even thought about. Even as a child he was a recluse; especially after his parents divorced. At one point in his life after the divorce, he was left homeless living under a bridge. He witnessed many of his family members commit suicide as well. He wasn't the first Cobain to off himself. Apparently depression ran in his family. Yeah, what a pussy. Everyone handles these things differently. Struggled with it throughout his life and of course at the peak of Nirvanas success. Not to mention, the guy wanted to just find love and family with Courtney and his baby, but ultimately knew she was cheating on him and siphoning money from him for drugs.

All this said, he definitely wanted to be famous contrary to popular belief. Kurt worked hard to achieve that new sound that changed rock and roll, and create the album that dethroned Michael Jacksons Dangerous at the top of the charts. Kurt not only was the sound of the band, but also was behind many various projects that catapulted the bands success. He created the art behind the bands T-Shirts, was behind very single that was put onto the radio, and was very aware of every review, interview, and music video of the band was on and how often it would be aired.

Simply said, we do not know how the brain works, and with cases such as depression, you have to be very careful about how you talk about suicide like that. Like Kurt or not, or like Nirvana or not, you cannot deny the things that Kurt/Nirvana achieved during their height and reign under rock and roll, which, Axl Rose was very envious of, thus the hate.

American Music Awards

Won American Music Award

ECHO Awards, Germany

1993:

Grammy Awards

Won Grammy Award

MTV Video Music Awards

NME Awards

Q Awards

Radio Music Awards

ShockWaves NME Awards

Won Shockwaves NME Award

Nirvana is ranked #30 on The Rolling Stone's 100 best musicians of all time ahead of many greats like Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Eagles, Metallica, Sex Pistols,The Allman Brothers, Cream, Queen, Aerosmith, Janis Joplin, The Doors, David Bowie, John Lennon, Madonna.... I could keep going. Oh, and GN'R is ranked at a steady #92.

I'm sorry if it hurts to hear, but suicide is the cowards way out. It's not really a hill to pick to die on, because it is indefensible.

It's really hard to make a valid point against that. Piss on everyone who has ever loved you and cares about and turn out the lights so you don't have to deal with shit. Pull a trigger and the world goes away. Fuck the aftermath, not your problem anymore. Plenty of people who are sick find the strength to go on.

He didn't.

Having known someone who has done that, having seen the aftermath, what it does and how it devastates everyone around you, I can say with 100% conviction that my friend was a gutless coward. As an aside, he wasn't a millionaire, didn't have a kid, but he had a girlfriend, siblings friends and parents whose lives were destroyed.

Yeah.

Yeah.

It's a fair question and transcends to other artists like Tupac or Biggie. What if Biggie hadn't been shot and killed at the top of his career? He'd probably have seen a steady decline in music quality. Most hip-hop artists struggle with longevity. I'm sure he'd still be a major celebrity, but instead of having a flawless discography and placed on a revered pedestal, he'd have some weak albums and less of an untouchable reputation.

To ask if Nirvana would be more or less revered had Kurt never killed himself and they had been allowed to go through the growing pains musical artists of their stature go through is a fair question

After you reach the top, where do you go? Maybe GNR's success was the biggest thing that ended the Illusion lineup. I wish I could have seen the Illusion team follow up the Illusion albums.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 2

American Music Awards

Won American Music Award

ECHO Awards, Germany

1993:

Grammy Awards

Won Grammy Award

MTV Video Music Awards

NME Awards

Q Awards

Radio Music Awards

ShockWaves NME Awards

Won Shockwaves NME Award

I'm sorry if it hurts to hear, but suicide is the cowards way out. It's not really a hill to pick to die on, because it is indefensible.

It's really hard to make a valid point against that. Piss on everyone who has ever loved you and cares about and turn out the lights so you don't have to deal with shit. Pull a trigger and the world goes away. Fuck the aftermath, not your problem anymore. Plenty of people who are sick find the strength to go on.

He didn't.

Having known someone who has done that, having seen the aftermath, what it does and how it devastates everyone around you, I can say with 100% conviction that my friend was a gutless coward. As an aside, he wasn't a millionaire, didn't have a kid, but he had a girlfriend, siblings friends and parents whose lives were destroyed.

I'm not saying it isn't the cowards way out or justifiable, because it absolutely is the wrong way, my point is that clinically depressed people need to be treated in a different manner. Manic depression on top of bipolar depression is something serious. He took himself out, yeah, but he needed proper treatment. And the fact that people are in this thread are constantly shitting on him for that is uncalled for. Kurt hadn't been in the right frame of mind for years. He needed help, but unfortunately took a wrong turn and made wrong moves to inevitably lead to suicide. No one truly reached out to give him proper treatment.

• Like 1

American Music Awards

Won American Music Award

ECHO Awards, Germany

1993:

Grammy Awards

Won Grammy Award

MTV Video Music Awards

NME Awards

Q Awards

Radio Music Awards

ShockWaves NME Awards

Won Shockwaves NME Award

He didn't.

I'm not saying it isn't the cowards way out or justifiable, because it absolutely is the wrong way, my point is that clinically depressed people need to be treated in a different manner. Manic depression on top of bipolar depression is something serious. He took himself out, yeah, but he needed proper treatment. And the fact that people are in this thread are constantly shitting on him for that is uncalled for. Kurt hadn't been in the right frame of mind for years. He needed help, but unfortunately took a wrong turn and made wrong moves to inevitably lead to suicide. No one truly reached out to give him proper treatment.

I didn't follow him well enough to know who did and didn't reach out to him. If that was the case, I don't think we disagree all that much. I find suicide deplorable, but if Kurt was surrounded by leeches and hangers on, so much so that they steered him down the wrong road and nobody pushed him to get help, that is a shame too. At the same time, he's a big boy he can always ask for help, or just get it. It's an emotional topic for me, not Kurt, suicide in general. It's never the answer and it ruins your friends and family and haunts them for life.

• Like 1

I think if he wasn't so set on being "cool" and hating "famous" and became friends with Axl that he probably wouldn't have killed himself. Kurt would have realized there are people more f'd up than himself...or maybe he would have died sooner.

Either way, surrounding yourself with a crazy wife and drugs is probably not your best option if you are interested in helping yourself.

• 2 weeks later...