Question for Canadians about Quebec.

AxlisOld

How do you feel about them? Here in the states we give Texas shit for acting like they're their own country, Quebec seems like they've gone past anything Texas, or damn near the Confederacy did. Are they as bitter and annoying as portrayed? Is it hostile to be a non-french Canadian in their province? Are more things in French than English? Is secession possible?

This is from an interview noel gallagher did with a Canadian magazine about this

What do you think of when you think of Canada?

I think of being absolutely freezing fookin’ cold. And I also think of this fookin’ weird, weird French influence. What’s that all about? What business have they got over there? Why French? I was in a Dunkin Donuts in Canada, and the menu was in French — the whole thing, right. And I asked the woman for a coffee, and she only spoke French. Now, I’ve taken a lot of drugs in my time mate, but I’ve got to say that the single most frightening experience of my life was thinking, "I could have swore I was fookin’ in Canada when I got off that tour bus. And now I’m in… am I? No. I don’t know.” And then I said to the woman, "You can speak English, can’t you?” And I think she was getting annoyed that I was being a bit rude by that point, because she was only speaking French. I was going, "I know you can speak English. We’re in Canada. And I know you understand what I’m saying.” I may have brought up something about the war and then left.

• Like 4

What I hear about Quebec has not been my experience in Quebec. At first it bugged me that in Ontario we have to have everything in both languages, including street signs, but then in Quebec they don't do the same and you see only French all over the place.

But being in Quebec I had heard that they would not speak English with you if you were from Ontario but would if you were from the US. I experienced that only once when asking for directions in Montreal. The rest of the time the people in both Montreal and Quebec City were pleasant and spoke English to me.

They go through their "I want to quit Canada" thing every few years, though I think it's more political and a diversion to push through other agendas (NAFTA, GST tax). But I'm glad they are part of Canada. I like the diversity.

Canadians view Quebec in a weird way. The whole arrogance and separatist movement alienated pretty much everyone outside of Canada yet nobody wants Quebec to leave. The separatist thing has died way down though and the Bloc Quebecois got absolutely crushed in the last election so it's really not even a relevant issue anymore. The people in Quebec for the most part are completely sick of it from what I can tell. When I was in Montreal everyone was really nice and helpful. There was no hostility towards me whatsoever as an english speaking person. There are TONS of non french speaking people living in Quebec. It's not as if the province is exclusively french and the english people are on the run trying to survive the onslaught of hostility each day. You can get by in Quebec without any issues if you only speak english. Plus Quebec is a beautiful province. Montreal is an amazing city and so is Quebec City.

To be honesty in Western Canada it's Toronto that people hate. The attitude and arrogance running out of Toronto far exceeds anything coming out of Quebec. I spent 9 days in Toronto and interacted with more assholes in those 9 days than probably all my other travels combined. You tell them where you're from and immediately they want to tell you why Toronto is better. I told one loser I was from Calgary(not really but knew she wouldn't know the town I'm from) and instantly she goes on about how people like me support animal cruelty. She knew absolutely nothing about me other than I was "from" Calgary and immediately I was being preached to for being some backwoods hick who's in favour of abusing animals because of the Calgary Stampede. Nevermnd the fact at the time I had never even been to the Stampede ever but hey, that's Toronto mentality for you. It's really weird because as far as I'm concerned Toronto is the least interesting, least dynamic and one of the least beautiful cities I have ever been to. It's like a soulless, rude, concrete jungle, so where their arrogance comes from is beyond me, but they truly do feel they are better than the rest of the country and it isn't even remotely justified.

I will gladly return to Quebec, which ever city that may be, as many times as possibly, whereas I have absolutely no desire to ever go back to Toronto. Ask anyone from out west who's been to Montreal and the reaction is always the same. It's awesome. Ask those who have been to Toronto and it's pretty much always it sucks.

Edited by Bono

What I hear about Quebec has not been my experience in Quebec. At first it bugged me that in Ontario we have to have everything in both languages, including street signs, but then in Quebec they don't do the same and you see only French all over the place.

But being in Quebec I had heard that they would not speak English with you if you were from Ontario but would if you were from the US. I experienced that only once when asking for directions in Montreal. The rest of the time the people in both Montreal and Quebec City were pleasant and spoke English to me.

They go through their "I want to quit Canada" thing every few years, though I think it's more political and a diversion to push through other agendas (NAFTA, GST tax). But I'm glad they are part of Canada. I like the diversity.

I've been to Montreal 4 times, and I find very few people speak English. Maybe 20-25% of people I talk to speak English? It's not as absymal as like Russia or Italy or anything, but I'd say damn near every country I've been to in Europe I've had a much easier time finding English speakers than Quebec. And of course it's the people you need to speak English that don't (i.e. the venue staff at concerts).

Canadians view Quebec in a weird way. The whole arrogance and separatist movement alienated pretty much everyone outside of Canada yet nobody wants Quebec to leave. The separatist thing has died way down though and the Bloc Quebecois got absolutely crushed in the last election so it's really not even a relevant issue anymore. The people in Quebec for the most part are completely sick of it from what I can tell. When I was in Montreal everyone was really nice and helpful. There was no hostility towards me whatsoever as an english speaking person. There are TONS of non french speaking people living in Quebec. It's not as if the province is exclusively french and the english people are on the run trying to survive the onslaught of hostility each day. You can get by in Quebec without any issues if you only speak english. Plus Quebec is a beautiful province. Montreal is an amazing city and so is Quebec City.

To be honesty in Western Canada it's Toronto that people hate. The attitude and arrogance running out of Toronto far exceeds anything coming out of Quebec. I spent 9 days in Toronto and interacted with more assholes in those 9 days than probably all my other travels combined. You tell them where you're from and immediately they want to tell you why Toronto is better. I told one loser I was from Calgary(not really but knew she wouldn't know the town I'm from) and instantly she goes on about how people like me support animal cruelty. She knew absolutely nothing about me other than I was "from" Calgary and immediately I was being preached to for being some backwoods hick who's in favour of abusing animals because of the Calgary Stampede. Nevermnd the fact at the time I had never even been to the Stampede ever but hey, that's Toronto mentality for you. It's really weird because as far as I'm concerned Toronto is the least interesting, least dynamic and one of the least beautiful cities I have ever been to. It's like a soulless, rude, concrete jungle, so where their arrogance comes from is beyond me, but they truly do feel they are better than the rest of the country and it isn't even remotely justified.

I will gladly return to Quebec, which ever city that may be, as many times as possibly, whereas I have absolutely no desire to ever go back to Toronto. Ask anyone from out west who's been to Montreal and the reaction is always the same. It's awesome. Ask those who have been to Toronto and it's pretty much always it sucks.

I fucking hate Toronto. I go there all the time though since I live 2 and a half hours away, so it's the closest major market for concerts. The people are incredibly rude, everything is expensive, the traffic is the worst I've ever seen anywhere (Doesn't help that the city is always completely torn up), and all of their venues suck. I'm to the point that I'd rather drive 5 hours to see a show in NYC or 6 hours to see it in Boston than to drive 2 and a half to see it in Toronto.

Never been to Quebec, but two of my great loves hail from there.

Poutine:

201473-poutine.jpg

Ariel Rebel:

q78786wn.jpeg

(was hard finding a SFW photo)

Heard the poutine in Montreal blows everything else out the water, so I'll have to visit some time.

Montreal poutine is legit. Never had a bad poutine in Montreal, and I get it at least once every time I'm there.

I now live in Toronto so that I can walk to work and avoid the traffic. I live in the west end so not quite the downtown. .there are things I really like but I do get the criticisms. A lot of idiots, and way too much traffic and people everywhere you go. Once the job ends I will likely move out of the city

The criticisms of Quebec seem more political than anything else. If you are talking about the cities, you tend to hear positives about Quebec.

Never been to Quebec, but two of my great loves hail from there.

Poutine:

201473-poutine.jpg

Ariel Rebel:

q78786wn.jpeg

(was hard finding a SFW photo)

Heard the poutine in Montreal blows everything else out the water, so I'll have to visit some time.

You'd forgive anything for a plateful of good grub and a bit of the other, wouldn't you? :lol:

• Like 1

This is from an interview noel gallagher did with a Canadian magazine about this

What do you think of when you think of Canada?

I think of being absolutely freezing fookin cold. And I also think of this fookin weird, weird French influence. Whats that all about? What business have they got over there? Why French? I was in a Dunkin Donuts in Canada, and the menu was in French the whole thing, right. And I asked the woman for a coffee, and she only spoke French. Now, Ive taken a lot of drugs in my time mate, but Ive got to say that the single most frightening experience of my life was thinking, "I could have swore I was fookin in Canada when I got off that tour bus. And now Im in am I? No. I dont know. And then I said to the woman, "You can speak English, cant you? And I think she was getting annoyed that I was being a bit rude by that point, because she was only speaking French. I was going, "I know you can speak English. Were in Canada. And I know you understand what Im saying. I may have brought up something about the war and then left.

:lol:

That's why I love Noel and Liam.

I've never been to Quebec and have little interest in going. I love french fries, French's mustard, poutine is food of the gods, but I don't like their language. Had to take it through grades 4 to 11 and it was just confusing as hell. Too many different ways to say the same word depending on who you're saying it to (you, I, he, she, they etc etc etc).

I just drive through the French neighbourhood in Winnipeg and get annoyed by everything being in french. Driving through Quebec would be retarded for me.

Lol. Our faithful owner lives in the US topics but doesn't post in the ones specifically about Canada.

Ever think that maybe he just didn't see it? Besides, what's wrong with Downzy posting in American threads? Whether or not you agree with his viewpoints, at least he's well versed on the topics he discusses. It's not like he's a Canadian talking out of his ass without knowing what he's talking about.