If original GNR will tour, will they play de ChiDem songs?

They will. And this thread will end up including Adler vs. Sorum theories, so I'll say both of those drummers can handle CD songs (even if many disagree).

Yeah, its very clear that Matt and Steven can handle ChiDem songs, but, one thing are the drums, and other very differents the guitars, Buckethead and Bumblefoot are virtuosos guitarist, not better or worse than Slash IMO, but differents. So, if Slash wants to play CD songs, he has to learn to play it, with the same speed, and technisism that Bucket... For Example: Does Slash handle the sweep picking? The Better, IRS and some others songs of ChiDem, are played with sweep picking.

Edited by ralebava

If there ever is a reunion I guarantee you that they either A: Drop the CD stuff altogether and just play the classics or B: they have past & present members making cameo's when they play CD stuff.

I'm just gonna tell you, Slash and Izzy aren't going to be playing CD solos and stuff. No way Izzy is going to sit down and learn those CD songs no matter how much of a fanboy you are.

I love all of the guitar experts on here who say Slash can't play the Chi Dem material. Why couldn't he,if he took the time to learn the songs? He's been a professional musician for almost 30 years. I doubt Axl will drop the album entirely,especially because Dizzy (and possibly Fortus/Pitman) will still be around as a connection to that era. The initial shows would do great business with or without the CD songs and since the album means a lot to Axl ,I doubt he'd neglect it entirely to avoid upsetting a few nerds online. Songs like The Blues and CITR would fit right in alongside classic Illusions era tunes.

• Like 1

One stipulation in Axl's part of the contract states that every show must open with: Sorry, Madagascar, an explanation of the 'feud' [by Slash] clearing Axl of blame in the original break up, then Prostitute, before they play AFD in full [including the stage dive/riot part in Rocket Queen]. An insider told me so.

You just described my dream show.

• Like 2

I love all of the guitar experts on here who say Slash can't play the Chi Dem material. Why couldn't he,if he took the time to learn the songs? He's been a professional musician for almost 30 years. I doubt Axl will drop the album entirely,especially because Dizzy (and possibly Fortus/Pitman) will still be around as a connection to that era. The initial shows would do great business with or without the CD songs and since the album means a lot to Axl ,I doubt he'd neglect it entirely to avoid upsetting a few nerds online. Songs like The Blues and CITR would fit right in alongside classic Illusions era tunes.

You don't need to be an expert to hear that what the guitarists (bumblefoot, buckethead) did is a level or two above anything Slash has ever put to record (we're not talking about anything but the technical side of playing, not good or bad etc). Slash is a brilliant player, but he doesn't have the same technique that is required to pull those parts off like the record... now! could he play something similar in a "Slash" way? yes! At 50 (ish) I can't imagine Slash sitting down learning how to sweep and tap, he's never been in to it and I think he's quite happy with his own style.

If you know of a video or any recording that shows Slash playing at the same technical level as either player did on CD, I'll gladly watch it. Before we get bogged down in the "it's not all about technique" discussion, it isn't all about technique... but this particular discussion it is, as we're asking would Slash play the parts in a reunion scenario etc.

As for a reunion tour having Chinese material? I would bet a lot that they would not be playing any CD material. Now, let's assume a reunion tour happens and they then decide to make a full album when they finish. I could then imagine them working a song maybe two from CD into the set. There's three issues - 1. the old line-ups back catalogue is what people really care about 2. Willingness of the rest of the band to play CD material 3. A set can only be so long, so if they play a CD song, what UYI, Lies, or AFD song are they cutting.

For me I'd like to see some crossover, Better, Street of Dreams, This I love maybe even Chinese itself... obviously not all at once, but rotated on a nightly basis? yes. I hate when bands ignore the history of their bands "that 20 year period never happened, we only have 3 albums..." VH, Metallica (seem to be embracing load/reload a whole lot more these days, Thankfully) being examples of this, VH only playing DLR era VH, Metallica ignoring their 90s material for the guts of 10 years.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

They will play the songs, but slash will play the solos he way he wants to. Just like when he played crazy train with his band, he kept to he melody of he solo, but played it how he could want to. The way i see it (thinking of irs here) he keeps the solo starts out (the first bend, albeit eithout the octave pedal) its note progression and its ending. Amd instead of sweep picking, he noodles around the way he does on those parts.

In the case of solos not his style at all (shacklers, possibly 2nd prostitute solo, riad, TWAT maybe but i could see him being able to play most of it) he ditches it completely and does his own solo

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

If there ever is a reunion I guarantee you that they either A: Drop the CD stuff altogether and just play the classics or B: they have past & present members making cameo's when they play CD stuff.

I'm just gonna tell you, Slash and Izzy aren't going to be playing CD solos and stuff. No way Izzy is going to sit down and learn those CD songs no matter how much of a fanboy you are.

I don't know that it would be all that hard for Izzy to learn a song or 2. Not sure if you know this but he's "kinda good" at the guitar.

I think we would hear shit from all of their out of band efforts, something from CD, something from VR, Something from Slash, and something from Izzy in addition to the old stuff.

Not sure why that is hard to grasp for some people. They would be silly not to. Casual fans would think it was new material, hardcore fans would want to hear Slash's take on CD songs, or Axl's vocals on VR or Slash's stuff. It's a win/win.

<Edit> Actually it is lose/lose at least here. If they play all old stuff it's a nostalgia act, if they incorporate a full on GnR spin on their separate projects then it's lame. So, haters are going to hate anything they do, fans are going to love whatever they do, it's that simple.

Edited by DeadSlash

I can see maybe like a compromise sorta thing; like if they do a ChiDem song then they also do a VR song.

If I had to pick a ChiDem song for Slash then I pick either Catcher or The Blues, cause I feel they both fit well with his music style (This I Love does too but that song is kinda boring and repetitive, especially compared to November Rain and Estranged, which would both definitely be on the set).

Similarly, if I had to pick a VR song for Axl, Id go with Fall To Pieces, since it was originally intended to be a GNR song in the first place (Axl said so in the 2008 chats. Also in the Making of Estranged video from 1994 you can hear an early version of the riff with Axl whistling on top of it). I can also picture Axl singing Slither.

Edited by rocknroll41