If original GNR will tour, will they play de ChiDem songs?

I love all of the guitar experts on here who say Slash can't play the Chi Dem material. Why couldn't he,if he took the time to learn the songs? He's been a professional musician for almost 30 years. I doubt Axl will drop the album entirely,especially because Dizzy (and possibly Fortus/Pitman) will still be around as a connection to that era. The initial shows would do great business with or without the CD songs and since the album means a lot to Axl ,I doubt he'd neglect it entirely to avoid upsetting a few nerds online. Songs like The Blues and CITR would fit right in alongside classic Illusions era tunes.

You don't need to be an expert to hear that what the guitarists (bumblefoot, buckethead) did is a level or two above anything Slash has ever put to record (we're not talking about anything but the technical side of playing, not good or bad etc). Slash is a brilliant player, but he doesn't have the same technique that is required to pull those parts off like the record... now! could he play something similar in a "Slash" way? yes! At 50 (ish) I can't imagine Slash sitting down learning how to sweep and tap, he's never been in to it and I think he's quite happy with his own style.

If you know of a video or any recording that shows Slash playing at the same technical level as either player did on CD, I'll gladly watch it. Before we get bogged down in the "it's not all about technique" discussion, it isn't all about technique... but this particular discussion it is, as we're asking would Slash play the parts in a reunion scenario etc.

As for a reunion tour having Chinese material? I would bet a lot that they would not be playing any CD material. Now, let's assume a reunion tour happens and they then decide to make a full album when they finish. I could then imagine them working a song maybe two from CD into the set. There's three issues - 1. the old line-ups back catalogue is what people really care about 2. Willingness of the rest of the band to play CD material 3. A set can only be so long, so if they play a CD song, what UYI, Lies, or AFD song are they cutting.

For me I'd like to see some crossover, Better, Street of Dreams, This I love maybe even Chinese itself... obviously not all at once, but rotated on a nightly basis? yes. I hate when bands ignore the history of their bands "that 20 year period never happened, we only have 3 albums..." VH, Metallica (seem to be embracing load/reload a whole lot more these days, Thankfully) being examples of this, VH only playing DLR era VH, Metallica ignoring their 90s material for the guts of 10 years.

With Van Halen they pretty much ignored the DLR era stuff when they have Sammy Hager with them, they only use to play 3 or so songs from that era along with a Sammy tune or two. More like in the vien of Velvet Revolver.

Also VH toured for years with Hager, did a reunion tour in 2004. Why would you want to hear DLR sing the hager stuff?

Same thing for Guns, with the exception of This I Love (which was around during the old era) and maybe something like catcher why on earth would you want to hear CD stuff with Slash/Duff/Izzy/Adler/Sorum up there? I can see them getting a kick out of it later on maybe throwing in some of their solo stuff or VR songs along with a CD track just to spice it up. Espeically if they start going back to venues, but I'd imagine it only be as a throwaway or restbite from the classics.

Now if there was some sort of hybrid line up with fortus, Dizzy, Pitman, Frank alongside Axl, Slash, Duff then maybe. But in general wouldn't we want new stuff from those guys or stuff from the good old days?

What do u think, if the original GNR tour, will they play the ChiDem songs, and, Slash will be able to play Buckethead riffs? I think, if Axl is on strict diet, Slash is on strict guitar lessons :lol:

there is no need to replicate what was played by buckethead and whoever else played on that record

those songs can be played on ANOTHER way

on a ROCK N ROLL way

on a GUNS N ROSES way

give those songs to izzy, slash, duff and steven

let them play it THEIR way

Edited by ludurigan

No way they are playing anything off of Chinese. They would be doing the reunion for money and for the fans. 99% of the fans at these shows don't want to hear any of that crap. I'm sure I could speak for the 99% saying that I'm paying a crapload of money to see this show and don't pull out this crap on these shows.

Edited by slim26

It would be interesting to see. I think Duff likes Catcher. Izzy likes Chi dem, Slash tearing up IRS would be great.

I wanna see what he can do on Rhiad.
There's space for some Slash riffs on Riad for sure. I'd like Slash to do a longer solo on This I Love then see what he can do with Prostitute.

It would be interesting to see. I think Duff likes Catcher. Izzy likes Chi dem, Slash tearing up IRS would be great.

I wanna see what he can do on Rhiad.
There's space for some Slash riffs on Riad for sure. I'd like Slash to do a longer solo on This I Love then see what he can do with Prostitute.

Riad, Sorry, Street Of Dreams, Madagascar, This I Love, Prostitute, There Was A Time. Don't see Slash having too much of a problem coming up with interesting ideas for at least half of Chinese.

He'd be fine on:

Chi dem

Better

SoD

TWAT

Catcher

Riad

Sorry

IRS

Madagascar

This I Love

Prostitute

So if CD ll is similar in style to Chinese, there's probably a good chance he can potentially relate to a lot of the material and contribute.

Anything Finck can play Slash can?

i just don't know enough about recording. Slash is still analog?

how does Duff sound on Shackler's?

Maybe he can add some cool melodies and life to those CD songs. Technically, they are very good, but at the expense of some melodic tunes that made the classic GNR songs so great.

Which songs are you talking about? Estranged? Edited by wasted

He'd be fine on:

Chi dem

Better

SoD

TWAT

Catcher

Riad

Sorry

IRS

Madagascar

This I Love

Prostitute

So if CD ll is similar in style to Chinese, there's probably a good chance he can potentially relate to a lot of the material and contribute.

Anything Finck can play Slash can?

i just don't know enough about recording. Slash is still analog?

how does Duff sound on Shackler's?

You can't see utube but from what I've heard, Duff sounds good on Shackler's. A little stiff for him perhaps.

Slash said in his book he would have done anything Axl wanted musically, industrial, whatever. He did say in a fairly recent interview musically chinese was copy/pasted, he did not seem into it. Only liked Axl's vocals and melodies.

So it can be a problem. Slash is all about organic and capturing the moment. They'll have to find a middle ground. Not just the content and style, but production as well.

Edited by Rovim

That to me would be the problem for Slash playing parts on CD II. But when I listen to Chi Dem I can hear the guitar parts in the verses which is also copy n pasted from Jungle, Slash could play that and the riff easily.

How was VR recorded? Libetad seems more airless than Contraband.

But maybe this is why Slash never played those solos Axl wanted for CD, amongst many other departures from normative propositions. He just doesnt want to be part of that kind of record.

He's made the distinction between what he can like and what he will play.

I don't think Axl took CD too far outside of that musically, but production wise maybe a lot. I can imagine Slash playing Chi dem riff but in a more laid back way, but not the tone of the guitar and having synths and pyrotechnical solos.

So I think if they came back they might want to do a GNR sounding record with Clink.

But I could see Duff doing parts, Slash reinterpreting stuff live, maybe playing on one song with Fortus. Playing with Izzy on Down by the Ocean.

But they may skip that and just finish their respective projects then suit up for the big one.

I think them joining for the tour or somekind of Vegas Residency or Rock in Rock blow out would be enough for most people.

And that is where the industry is right now. It's all touring legacy acts.

They'll pull what KISS did and play new songs on the 3rd re-union tour leg titled The Farewell Tour.

I think they might not, but a few songs might suite em. Like the title track, The Blues of Dreams and Catcher in the Rye or heck why not even Prostitute. But I don't think they'll be doing Scheklers Revenge, Scraped, Sorry or TWAT (Slash can't solo it)

It goes the same for both.

To make GNR quality stuff out of old tunes you need more than let Axl sing over a Slash song, or let Slash add some leads over a CD track.

The songs had to be rearranged from the very beginning with the input of at least Axl, Izzy and Slash and most likely even Duff's.

I dont know maybe that already happened with Garden of Eden and DDM. If Slash added solos and main guitar parts to Catcher its a complete classic. As it is you have be open to Hey Jude played by Noel Gallager and Dream Theatre.

I dont think Duff or Izzy had much to do with Estranged, Nov Rain, Coma, Locomotive?

Either Axl song with Slash playing solos or Slash guitar with Axl rapping thats half an album.

Edited by wasted

It's not my understand of UYI, Izzy just dropped his songs, laid down his tracks and that was it. He was worried about learning the cord changes for Coma. Izzy has no writing credit on Nov Rain or Estranged so probably not. Not based on what ive read about Izzy's input into UYI from his quotes.

To me the best songs are Izzy oriented band efforts. RNDTH, DUst n Bones, Dont Cry, YCBM, 14 Years, Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession (although seems like Slash just took that one on in studio).

I mean is Izzy really on Breakdown?

It's basic Rhythmn tracks for the most part on those epics. And rumore Slash played some to fill in the gap bcos was gone.