Will Axl be able to pull off Coma on a reunion tour?

They barely played it live in his prime, right? Only 3 times during the UYI tour or something like that?

Coma is amazing. Arguably my fav GNR track. I know Slash gets a lot of recognition for helping Axl reach his vision for Estranged (and Slash deserves it), I feel Axl did something similar for Slash on Coma though and I don't see that get recognized as much. I thought I read somewhere that Coma was Slash's baby (Axl's words, I believe). And Axl would listen to what Slash sent him, and it took Axl a long time to eventually get the lyrics for the song done. I think Axl said something like, he knew he HAD to use the music Slash had come up with. And the ranting section at the end of the song came when Axl locked himself in a room or something and knocked it out in a few hours. I might be remembering this story wrong

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

He couldn't pull it off 20 years ago, so I say no. It's just not a song made to be played live. There's nothing wrong with that.

He couldn't pull it off 20 years ago, so I say no. It's just not a song made to be played live. There's nothing wrong with that.

I know...I'm not talking nightly...more like once or twice. It would be epic.

:rofl-lol:

Are you LOLing at him pulling it off? I'm serious. Once...like mid tour after he's warmed up or at the final show. Just one time.

There is NO way Axl can pull that song now. He couldn't do it back in the day. How the hell would he do it now? No chance. No way. Not possible. Don't bother trying.

• Like 1

They barely played it live in his prime, right? Only 3 times during the UYI tour or something like that?

Coma is amazing. Arguably my fav GNR track. I know Slash gets a lot of recognition for helping Axl reach his vision for Estranged (and Slash deserves it), I feel Axl did something similar for Slash on Coma though and I don't see that get recognized as much. I thought I read somewhere that Coma was Slash's baby (Axl's words, I believe). And Axl would listen to what Slash sent him, and it took Axl a long time to eventually get the lyrics for the song done. I think Axl said something like, he knew he HAD to use the music Slash had come up with. And the ranting section at the end of the song came when Axl locked himself in a room or something and knocked it out in a few hours. I might be remembering this story wrong

Basically it's the known story. I guess the difference between Estranged and Coma are the credits. I assume Coma is Slash's baby because he came up with that progressive peace of music. But Axl is credited so everybody knows he wrote the lyrics.

Slash instead isn't credited on Estranged and I think that's why people give him recognition for.

• Like 1

I'm not a professional singer so I have no clue. I could see Axl reading these boards and thinking "I'll show these fucking kids who weren't even born when GN'R were the biggest band in the world just who can and can't sing!" to which I say get 'em Uncle Axl!

If Coma were listed on a fan vote along with other rarely played songs to be played live at a future GN'R show (as per my suggestion and read by Fernando) I'm not even sure that it would win. Sure,we'd vote for it but it would probably be a vote on Gunsnroses.com and end up losing out to something like Yesterday's.

Edited by Subtle Signs

Coma would always get more votes than Yesterdays... Coma is one of the most spectacular GNR songs, if not the most.

Agree. If he's back with GnR anything is possible.

he also needs to work a lot Edited by Mao5

I am still waiting for a SDB recording of the live performances of COMA, LOCOMOTIVE, BAD APPLES (there is the Rio one, which is terrific) AND HOPEFULLY SOME MORE with Izzy (1991 tour).

There are two SBD versions of COMA. Chicago and Live Era. Also Axl said Locomotive was Slash's baby on the record not COMA.

You're aiming too high. A more realistic question would be: Will Axl be able to pull off old Macdonald had a farm or froggy went a courtin' without going full Mickey? Maybe even Mary had a little lamb?

Edited by username
  • Like 1