Rugby World Cup 2015

Chris1989

I know this board seems to be dominated by americans who play a shit version of Rugby where you spend most of the time standing around in lycra and padding, but there may be a few rugby fans on here.

World Cup starts tomorrow, New Zealand are defending champs and favourites, but maybe home advantage could spur England on.

I've got some tickets for later in the tournament which should be great, anybody else going or watching?

• Like 1

Italy fan here (you may have guessed by the avatar) I was thinking of starting a world cup thread but I see you beat me to it!

I have tickets for Italy v Canada at Elland road next weekend, it is probably the only match we have a chance of winning this year! Our preparation has been shambolic, we have key players injured (including Parisse) and our form has been terrible of late so I cant see much good coming out of this world cup for us. The rest of the tournament should be a bast though, I reckon England and Australia should get our of the group of death, Wales will struggle big time without 1/2p

Our line up for Saturday:

Italy: 15 Luke McLean, 14 Leonardo Sarto, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Andrea Masi, 11 Giovanbattista Venditti, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Edoardo Gori, 8 Samuela Vunisa, 7 Francesco Minto, 6 Alessandro Zanni, 5 Joshua Furno, 4 Quintin Geldenhuys, 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini ©, 1 Matias Aguero.
Replacements: 16 Andrea Manici, 17 Michele Rizzo, 18 Lorenzo Cittadini, 19 Valerio Bernabò, 20 Simone Favaro, 21 Guglielmo Palazzani, 22 Carlo Canna, 23 Enrico Bacchin

Pretty much our best team, with two notable exceptions being Parisse (8) and Morisi (13) I'm particularly gutted for Morisi who in 2013 had to have his spleen removed after a nasty tackle in a match against Fiji, but came back and scored this try against England at Twickers in this year's 6 nations:

Morisi_try.gif

Here's how the surrender monkeys line up:

France: 15 Scott Spedding, 14 Yoann Huget, 13 Mathieu Bastareaud, 12 Alexandre Dumoulin, 11 Noa Nakaitaci, 10 Frédéric Michalak, 9 Sébastien Tillous-Borde, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Damien Chouly, 6 Thierry Dusautoir ©, 5 Yoann Maestri, 4 Pascal Papé, 3 Rabah Slimani, 2 Guilhem Guirado, 1 Eddy Ben Arous.
Replacements: 16 Benjamin Kayser, 17 Vincent Debaty, 18 Nicolas Mas, 19 Bernard le Roux, 20 Alexandre Flanquart, 21 Morgan Parra, 22 Rémi Talès, 23 Gaël Fickou.

Edited by sturginho

Line ups for the opening match:

England: 15 Mike Brown, 14 Anthony Watson, 13 Jonathan Joseph, 12 Brad Barritt, 11 Jonny May, 10 George Ford, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Ben Morgan, 7 Chris Robshaw, 6 Tom Wood, 5 Geoff Parling, 4 Courtney Lawes, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Joe Marler.
Replacements: 16 Rob Webber, 17 Mako Vunipola, 18 Kieran Brookes, 19 Joe Launchbury, 20 Billy Vunipola, 21 Richard Wigglesworth, 22 Owen Farrell, 23 Sam Burgess.

Fiji: 15 Metuisela Talebula, 14 Waisea Nayacalevu, 13 Vereniki Goneva, 12 Gabiriele Lovobalavu, 11 Nemani Nadolo, 10 Ben Volavola, 9 Nikola Matawalu, 8 Sakiusa Masi Matadigo, 7 Akapusi Qera ©, 6 Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 5 Leone Nakarawa, 4 Apisalome Ratuniyarawa, 3 Manasa Saulo, 2 Sunia Koto, 1 Campese Ma'afu.

Replacements: 16 Tuapati Talemaitoga, 17 Peni Ravai, 18 Isei Colati, 19 Tevita Cavubati, 20 Peceli Yato, 21 Nemia Kenatale, 22 Joshua Matavesi, 23 Aseli Tikoirotuma.

Based entirely on the fact that points difference will play a part in Wales chances of getting out of this group I'm hoping for the Fijians to chuck it around like they're playing sevens rugby and get a try or two. They are a decent side but can't hope to live with England up front and at set pieces. But yeah keep the score down boyos give a good account of yourselves and when England forwards are blowing out of their arse on the hour mark help yourselves to a couple of tries.

My hairs stood on end as they called Martin Johnson then - I was 14 again, watching him lift the trophy. I've lived to see England win the men's and women's rugby world cups and the t20 cricket world cup for men, and the women's cricket world cup.

Let's take the webb Ellis cup back!

The scheduling is weird. Japan v Scotland, Japan on their second game whereas Scotland on their first! What is logically and fair about that?

Nothing is fair about it, it is a by product of having groups of five teams. They have actually put some effort in this time to make the spread of matches a little bit more even and less punishing on the smaller teams. At the last World cup there was a furore over the number of games Samoa had to play in a short space of time. If they increased the number of teams to 24 this problem wouldnt even be an issue