Rugby World Cup 2015

Chris1989

England outplayed Wales for 70 minutes, that's what makes it all the more funny. I can't believe they didn't go for the 3 points towards the end, really ignorant decision with no foresight. That could be their undoing. Looking forward to watching them versus Australia, that's going to be an insane game.

England outplayed Wales for 70 minutes, that's what makes it all the more funny. I can't believe they didn't go for the 3 points towards the end, really ignorant decision with no foresight. That could be their undoing. Looking forward to watching them versus Australia, that's going to be an insane game.

I dont buy into that, if they outplayed Wales why didn't they score more points than them in that 70 min? It's attack and defence so Wales defence outplayed England's attack for 70 min. It's a myth to think a team can dominate another team for an hour and a half and still lose. Actually it's not a myth it's just bullshit :lol:

I dont buy into that, if they outplayed Wales why didn't they score more points than them in that 70 min? It's attack and defence so Wales defence outplayed England's attack for 70 min. It's a myth to think a team can dominate another team for an hour and a half and still lose. Actually it's not a myth it's just bullshit :lol:

They outplayed them in the first half. It is a simple as that. Wales suckerpunched them in the second - which anyhow was a stop-and-start half due to all the injuries.

They outplayed them in the first half. It is a simple as that. Wales suckerpunched them in the second - which anyhow was a stop-and-start half due to all the injuries.

I can't argue with that to be fair I think on the day though Wales kept their composure better over the full match. England can get right back in it today and I hope they do as world cups can get a bit flat when the hosts go out. Perfect scenario for me today is if England win without getting a bonus point. Then they will beat Uraguay with or without a bonus point. Then it just leaves us with the small matter of beating Australia to top the group... shit i didnt think that through. I've gotta support Australia I'm afraid.

Well not really, the points on the board don't necessarily dictate who has been the better team. England outplayed Wales for the first hour, Wales were just more clinical at taking their opportunities. England wasted opportunities, but created a lot more than Wales. It's just not a myth at all, how much rugby have you watched or played?! I mean granted, it's less common than in football, but it still happens.

• Like 1

Well not really, the points on the board don't necessarily dictate who has been the better team. England outplayed Wales for the first hour, Wales were just more clinical at taking their opportunities. England wasted opportunities, but created a lot more than Wales. It's just not a myth at all, how much rugby have you watched or played?! I mean granted, it's less common than in football, but it still happens.

My point is that if you outplay someone then you need to get the job fully done. Let me put it like this in a 100 meter sprint if one guy is in the lead for 99% of the race and but then gets beaten at the end he didn't dominate the race because whatever led him to lose at the end must also be counted when your judging the performance. England did some things well but other things poorly so you cant just count the good things and say they dominated because you also have to include the sloppiness.

My rugby credentials are impeccable don't worry about that :lol:

• Like 1

My point is that if you outplay someone then you need to get the job fully done. Let me put it like this in a 100 meter sprint if one guy is in the lead for 99% of the race and but then gets beaten at the end he didn't dominate the race because whatever led him to lose at the end must also be counted when your judging the performance. England did some things well but other things poorly so you cant just count the good things and say they dominated because you also have to include the sloppiness.

My rugby credentials are impeccable don't worry about that :lol:

Yeah I get what you mean, but hypothetically if Team A spent the entire match in the Team B 22 but couldn't get the job done, 99% possession by the end of the game, but spill it and Team B run the entire pitch to score in the last play and win it I'm not sure you can say that Team A didn't dominate. However, I do completely agree, it's attack and defence. I've just watched a lot of games in which the team who have played the better rugby throughout have ended up losing. One such example is Ulster vs Saracens in 2014, we got a man sent off in the first five minutes, and proceeded to outplay Saracens for the entire match, and lost by two points in the end. Maybe that's a bad example because it was 14 vs 15 and I'm extremely biased! I do agree though, maybe a better way of phrasing it is that I think England lost the game through their own carelessness and discipline rather than Wales playing the better rugby and "outplaying" them over 80 minutes.

Now this were the soccer thread we'd continue to hash this out over the next five pages, how about a pint?

• Like 1

I think the Wallabies have looked the most impressive thus far. I am fairly impressed with how South Africa have bounced back after their defeat to Japan also. All Blacks and France have to improve as do Wales/Ireland.

My money is on the Wobblies to go all the way