Does GNR really need a third guitarist?

No

I've seen two guitarists do the lead part to Sweet Child O' Mine on YouTube from those new Guns N' Roses shows.. That right there was enough for me to think they didn't need that many guitarists but who am I? - it's not my band, I don't have a say in artist direction or how the show is produced... I could just choose not to view those videos.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Some people here actually said it produces better music, and its better. Personally, I cant really tell the difference.

for me it's about seeing a rendition of certain songs that I don't like or don't think sound better. I swear watching Sweet Child O' Mine performed by all those guitarists on YouTube by new Guns N' Roses that the iconic intro seemed too much for one of them, something, that they needed a 2nd guitarist to play the lead part on that song... But maybe I'm dumb. - I mean I bet both those guitarists know how to play it like Slash if they wanted to - I hope.

Gnr has always been a three guitar piece band.

From afd to chinese.

There was always two rythme parts and leads. And some fills.

It's about sounding like the albums and able to perform all the parts. Axl has said this himself in the late 90's.

And yes they could strip it down to two.

Right before the tour in 06 Robin and Richard worked around it and could have played all parts between the two of them.

I don't know let me thinking about it for a minute......

AFD - 2 guitar players

LIES - 2 guitar players

Use Your Illusion I - 2 guitar players

Use Your Illusion II - 2 guitar players

The Spaghetti Incident? - 2 guitar players

CD(no memorable or classic guitar anything) - 3 maybe 4 or 5 or 6 guitar players who knows.

So to recap GnR probably doesn't need 3 god damn fucking guitar players. 2 seems to have worked just fine in the past when they were the greatest band on the planet.

Gnr has always been a three guitar piece band.
From afd to chinese.

There was always two rythme parts and leads. And some fills.
It's about sounding like the albums and able to perform all the parts. Axl has said this himself in the late 90's.

So true. I mean they sucked so bad live back in the day with only 2 guitar players. They were never able to pull those songs off right.... :facepalm:

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

3 guitarists would be great if youd actually be able all of them equally together live. In the case of newgnr, Fortus is inaudible, ashba is decently loud in the mix, and bbf is the loudest one. Prime example: better chorus (cant hear the riff, only BBFs bucket part) and the 2nd half of the 2nd verse where dj does the lead riff and BBF noodles hos part, cant hear fortus at all.

It was even worse in 2002 band, riad sounded verry empty (every song for that matter as well),like only one guitar was playing the main riff

Not only do you not need three guitarists if Slash is one of them, it would be downright rude to give anyone else a single note of his riffs and solos with him on stage.

The three guitarists thing has worked well for NuGNR, though, and helps quiet the 'he's not Slash' contingent. That said, the whole Buckethead/Bumblefoot OTT shedding during Appetite For Destruction songs has become more of a circus act than jungle welcoming.

But back in the 90s GNR didn't need a singing, dancing flute player either. Axl's gonna Axl.

Edited by Stress Fracture

Depends on the third guitar player, on the first 2, and how they relate to each other musically.

For new Guns, I thought Bucket, Finck, and Fortus worked.

With Slash you don't need 3 guitar players, but you're not gonna get a fuller sound, which the band always had in the studio and live with new Guns. It's really all about the music, and seeing how Appetite had 3 guitar tracks, I don't see why not? it's a natural step to take imo live.

It's not really needed, but when done correctly, it can achieve a more powerful sound. Like Nightrain Rock Am Ring 2006 for example.

Some people here actually said it produces better music, and its better. Personally, I cant really tell the difference.

It doesn't produce better music but does sound better live

Isn't there 3 guitar parts on AFD?

So to get it like the record you need 3 guitars live.

Axl said (in some interview when chinese came out) that when a guitarist records his part, he records them twice. So izzy and slash each record a song twice. So for chinese they used a part from all 4 guitar players. So you need 4 guitar parts for recording since you have two guitar players.

That doesn't necessarily mean you need 3 guitarists in a band or make it right but since nugnr had a revolving door of contributers,it made sense and makes it right for Axl.

Live,it'll work

Edited by Billsfan

No.

Go listen to the "classic" (real) GNR live and it's blatantly obvious that two guitarists (Slash and Izzy) was/is all that is needed.

Nutjobs will argue that 3 is needed, parroting the line Axl sprouted about needing 3 guitarists to play everything but these people will argue Pitman is essential too and they're also the people who dribble shit like Tommy Stuson is the #1 bassist cause he was in "the band" longer than Duff was.

Hey, do you think the E Street band needs 5 guitarists?

• Like 1