Does GNR really need a third guitarist?

Depends what GnR are trying to achieve, a lot of the answers here appear to be based around the preconception that GnR wants to make Appetite type music. There is a place musically for three guitarists, trumpet players, sax players etc etc. And honestly, at this point in my life I've come to the conclusion that them making Appetite type music still, plugging away at that sort of thing, there's a good chance it'd be a load of shit anyway.

I mean look at all the bands out there that made the same kinda music over 20 to 30 years...wears thin a bit don't it, even with the best of em? AC/DC, The Ramones (and i adore the latter by the way, adore them and give them much more respect than that but I'm also aware of others peoples feelings about em).

Depends what GnR are trying to achieve, a lot of the answers here appear to be based around the preconception that GnR wants to make Appetite type music. There is a place musically for three guitarists, trumpet players, sax players etc etc. And honestly, at this point in my life I've come to the conclusion that them making Appetite type music still, plugging away at that sort of thing, there's a good chance it'd be a load of shit anyway.

I mean look at all the bands out there that made the same kinda music over 20 to 30 years...wears thin a bit don't it, even with the best of em? AC/DC, The Ramones (and i adore the latter by the way, adore them and give them much more respect than that but I'm also aware of others peoples feelings about em).

It's not just Appetite though. Chinese has even more than 3 guitars on the album regardless of what you may think of the music.

It's still logical to have 3 guitar players in Guns if you want it to sound as full as the record, and to represent it more faithfully live.

No.

Go listen to the "classic" (real) GNR live and it's blatantly obvious that two guitarists (Slash and Izzy) was/is all that is needed.

Nutjobs will argue that 3 is needed, parroting the line Axl sprouted about needing 3 guitarists to play everything but these people will argue Pitman is essential too and they're also the people who dribble shit like Tommy Stuson is the #1 bassist cause he was in "the band" longer than Duff was.

Hey, do you think the E Street band needs 5 guitarists?

Yeah but it's only what they need if the idea is to make Appetite-esque music continually, which doesn't seem to be the fat mans intent. Like I said before, there's a place for that kinda stuff, Motown music was generally played by these 8 piece RnB combos which are kinda the heart of rock n roll. It's not the fault of the format that Axl & Co don't have the requisite wit to use that format to make good music. Jimi Hendrixes ambition was to eventually have an 8 piece RnB combo with him at the helm, done by the right people extra instrumentation is fantastic i reckon.

The Stones had like Bobby Keys and Ian whatshisface and occasionally the black guy who played on Let it Be whoose name escapes be at the moment but also begins with a B, Little Richard had a fuckin' piano player and sax and all that shit, done right it works and it's just as rock n roll as anything.

Edited by Len B'stard

No.

Go listen to the "classic" (real) GNR live and it's blatantly obvious that two guitarists (Slash and Izzy) was/is all that is needed.

Nutjobs will argue that 3 is needed, parroting the line Axl sprouted about needing 3 guitarists to play everything but these people will argue Pitman is essential too and they're also the people who dribble shit like Tommy Stuson is the #1 bassist cause he was in "the band" longer than Duff was.

Any "bassist" who plays with a pick is shit.

No.

Any "bassist" who plays with a pick is shit.

That's an ignorant statement. Playing with a pick is not just cause you're not talented enough. It's not just about technique as well.

Picks, as you probably know, have their own sound. There's almost an endless amounts of great bass players that only play with a pick.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Tommy is shit though.

Nah

What's his most memorable bassline?

With GN'R I'd say OMG and Riad.

Of course you'll disagree.

That's fine.

And with The Replacements where his bass can be heard?

I don't think there's any :lol:

I hate music, maybe?

Come on, he isn't shit. He's at least average. Dj's shit. Tommy isn't

Tommy is shit though.

Nah

That's fine.

I hate music, maybe?

It's cool man. Thing is I keep reading about how GREAT and LEGENDARY this guy is supposed to be and to be honest with you I'm yet to hear anything above average coming from Tommy Stuson. That includes Replacements, his solo albums and Axl's solo project called GNR. Everytime I ask about The Replacements I get evasive answers because nobody really listens to said band. As for Axl's solo record called Chinese Democracy, I can't hear any bass for 98% of the record. Maybe it's the sub-bass fault? What is sub-bass anyway? :lol:

Cheers

• Like 3

Tommy is shit though.

Nah

That's fine.

I hate music, maybe?

It's cool man. Thing is I keep reading about how GREAT and LEGENDARY this guy is supposed to be and to be honest with you I'm yet to hear anything above average coming from Tommy Stuson. That includes Replacements, his solo albums and Axl's solo project called GNR. Everytime I ask about The Replacements I get evasive answers because nobody really listens to said band. As for Axl's solo record called Chinese Democracy, I can't hear any bass for 98% of the record. Maybe it's the sub-bass fault? What is sub-bass anyway? :lol:

Cheers

I beg your pardon, i know the words to every Mats album ever, at least for as long as they had Bob Stinson. And exactly what kinda intricate bass playing do you expect from punk albums? I think he did his job fantastically, he was on the road from fuckin' 14 years old putting in work, the man deserves heavy respect.

Edited by Len B'stard

Cheers

This is, flat-out, my single most favorite post on this board ever.

Stusson's playing is completely and entirely mediocre. I would LOVE to hear one example of his "legendary" playing. Like, give me a song and a time-stamp, and let's all sit back and bask in his amazing, innovative, legendary playing.

Duff is no genius either, but his bass on AFD (and UYI, to a lesser extent) is fantastic. It complements the scattershot rhythms of Izzy and Slash, without getting boring or too extreme.

I've heard nothing from Stusssson which is so great.

• Like 1