Does GNR really need a third guitarist?

You have to admit that nugnr makes Stinson look like a wanker though. He even admitted himself to hating gnr when he was in The Replacement haha. If he mingles with his punk friends I bet they all take the piss out of him for playing November Rain in Vegas.

Doubtful. His punk friends are all scraping by on $15k per year if they're lucky, while Stuson rakes in the dough for playing Duff's parts.

Punk don't pay! Just ask Tommy :P

You have to admit that nugnr makes Stinson look like a wanker though. He even admitted himself to hating gnr when he was in The Replacement haha. If he mingles with his punk friends I bet they all take the piss out of him for playing November Rain in Vegas.

Doubtful. His punk friends are all scraping by on $15k per year if they're lucky, while Stuson rakes in the dough for playing Duff's parts.

Punk don't pay! Just ask Tommy :P

More the incentive for taking-the-piss I would say!

It's cool man. Thing is I keep reading about how GREAT and LEGENDARY this guy is supposed to be and to be honest with you I'm yet to hear anything above average coming from Tommy Stuson. That includes Replacements, his solo albums and Axl's solo project called GNR. Everytime I ask about The Replacements I get evasive answers because nobody really listens to said band. As for Axl's solo record called Chinese Democracy, I can't hear any bass for 98% of the record. Maybe it's the sub-bass fault? What is sub-bass anyway? :lol:

Cheers

This is, flat-out, my single most favorite post on this board ever.

Stusson's playing is completely and entirely mediocre. I would LOVE to hear one example of his "legendary" playing. Like, give me a song and a time-stamp, and let's all sit back and bask in his amazing, innovative, legendary playing.

Duff is no genius either, but his bass on AFD (and UYI, to a lesser extent) is fantastic. It complements the scattershot rhythms of Izzy and Slash, without getting boring or too extreme.

I've heard nothing from Stusssson which is so great.

Explain to me the greater value in Duffs as compared to Tommys? Compliments the scattershot playing of Slash and Izzys means exactly nothing, moreover there is nothing in Duffs playing that sets him above Tommy other than a bunch of wanker Guns fans desperate for a reunion.

Lets be real, these bands dont really require genius bass playing or great innovative bass playing so they dont get it, Tommy was picked precisely because of the similarity between the job he does and the job Tommy does, what do you want, for him to Entwhistle out on Its So Easy?

It's cool man. Thing is I keep reading about how GREAT and LEGENDARY this guy is supposed to be and to be honest with you I'm yet to hear anything above average coming from Tommy Stuson. That includes Replacements, his solo albums and Axl's solo project called GNR. Everytime I ask about The Replacements I get evasive answers because nobody really listens to said band. As for Axl's solo record called Chinese Democracy, I can't hear any bass for 98% of the record. Maybe it's the sub-bass fault? What is sub-bass anyway? :lol:

Cheers

Stusson's playing is completely and entirely mediocre. I would LOVE to hear one example of his "legendary" playing. Like, give me a song and a time-stamp, and let's all sit back and bask in his amazing, innovative, legendary playing.

Duff is no genius either, but his bass on AFD (and UYI, to a lesser extent) is fantastic. It complements the scattershot rhythms of Izzy and Slash, without getting boring or too extreme.

Explain to me the greater value in Duffs as compared to Tommys? Compliments the scattershot playing of Slash and Izzys means exactly nothing, moreover there is nothing in Duffs playing that sets him above Tommy other than a bunch of wanker Guns fans desperate for a reunion.

Lets be real, these bands dont really require genius bass playing or great innovative bass playing so they dont get it, Tommy was picked precisely because of the similarity between the job he does and the job Tommy does, what do you want, for him to Entwhistle out on Its So Easy?

Well you asked.

Listen to the bass on WTTJ. It's not straight eighth notes or anything simple like that. The bass notes are a bit all over the place. They're more "riff" than standard locking with the bass drum playing.

Now, listen to how Slash and Izzy are playing rhythm. Not talking about solos. Neither one is playing straight open chords. They're both kinda all over the place, with a lot of syncopation in how they play off each other.

So, essentially, both guitars and the bass are all playing sort of riff-like, and less straigh open rhythms and notes.

That's some damn tasty bass playing. And it's much, much more impressive than anything I've heard Tommy do, ever.

Cheers

Well you asked.

Listen to the bass on WTTJ. It's not straight eighth notes or anything simple like that. The bass notes are a bit all over the place. They're more "riff" than standard locking with the bass drum playing.

Now, listen to how Slash and Izzy are playing rhythm. Not talking about solos. Neither one is playing straight open chords. They're both kinda all over the place, with a lot of syncopation in how they play off each other.

So, essentially, both guitars and the bass are all playing sort of riff-like, and less straigh open rhythms and notes.

That's some damn tasty bass playing. And it's much, much more impressive than anything I've heard Tommy do, ever.

You dont see how that is just basically just being slightly outside of being a bog standard backing up the drums playing? Thats really not at all a significant departure from what Tommy Stinson did for a living on any level.

Do they need Pitman? Look at how layered and congested CD is, Axl will have three guitarists because he wants as much as he can get up there with him because he believes it conveys the new GNR sound, ie the half insecure, half demented crusade of fitting in as much as possible, look at the jump from AFD to UYI even had fucking backing singers touring with them, at least he doesn't have that anymore. I have been eagerly awaiting the tentacles and drones and magic carpets sailing over the audience of CD 2 tour.

Some people here actually said it produces better music, and its better. Personally, I cant really tell the difference.

for me it's about seeing a rendition of certain songs that I don't like or don't think sound better. I swear watching Sweet Child O' Mine performed by all those guitarists on YouTube by new Guns N' Roses that the iconic intro seemed too much for one of them, something, that they needed a 2nd guitarist to play the lead part on that song... But maybe I'm dumb. - I mean I bet both those guitarists know how to play it like Slash if they wanted to - I hope.

I think people here like to say things like "the material is too tough for them, so they need 3 guys just to replace Slash"... but that's total bullshit. There's 3 guitarists because when you record in a studio you multitrack... there's things that a two guitar set up just can't do, so you add a 3rd guitar and you can. Now! does gnr need 3 guitarists and 2 keyboard players? one, or the other IMO. I can definitely hear what all three gtr players bring to the live sound.

They split sweet child because that's how it was recorded... listen to the recorded version, Slash plays the first half of the solo, sustaining the final note while the 2nd part of the solo begins (the faster section). We all know one guitar player can play the solo, Richard, Ron and even Dj could handle the parts but to replicate the studio more authentically the extra gtrs are necessary.

If GNR really wanted to replicate the studio versions, the band would have those that recorded it instead of unknowns trying to sound like the originals so Axl can do his poopy pants strut while sounding like an out of breath mickey mouse. There's nothing special about it.

Some people here actually said it produces better music, and its better. Personally, I cant really tell the difference.

for me it's about seeing a rendition of certain songs that I don't like or don't think sound better. I swear watching Sweet Child O' Mine performed by all those guitarists on YouTube by new Guns N' Roses that the iconic intro seemed too much for one of them, something, that they needed a 2nd guitarist to play the lead part on that song... But maybe I'm dumb. - I mean I bet both those guitarists know how to play it like Slash if they wanted to - I hope.

I think people here like to say things like "the material is too tough for them, so they need 3 guys just to replace Slash"... but that's total bullshit. There's 3 guitarists because when you record in a studio you multitrack... there's things that a two guitar set up just can't do, so you add a 3rd guitar and you can. Now! does gnr need 3 guitarists and 2 keyboard players? one, or the other IMO. I can definitely hear what all three gtr players bring to the live sound.

They split sweet child because that's how it was recorded... listen to the recorded version, Slash plays the first half of the solo, sustaining the final note while the 2nd part of the solo begins (the faster section). We all know one guitar player can play the solo, Richard, Ron and even Dj could handle the parts but to replicate the studio more authentically the extra gtrs are necessary.

Are you for real?

All telling me how Sweet Child O Mine was recorded?

It was recorded for AFD sounding a little like this...

Izzy then took it upon himself to mix that iconic intro out...

But if anyone else is to record Sweet Child O' Mine like Guns N' Roses, they'll have to bare that little factoid in mind and record the song like this then mix it out lol.