Axls dislike of Michael Jackson

I just think Slash thought it was cool, EVH did it, Paul McCartney. Good for his career.

Its weird bcos i remember reading quotes from Slash how he didnt want AFD to just be the cool record in a pop fans collection. Slash always seemed the most hardcore one, like wearing a Metallica shirt. But Slash is kind of a walking cartoon, so that's just him. That line up had a bubblegum element which came naturally. So its kind of cool the biggest rock guitarist of the 90s and the biggest pop star.

But there's also all the One in a Million context and here's Slash playing with another icon. Slash is getting more attention than Axl, almost belitting Axl.

You can kind kind of imagine. Axl takes a dim view of MJ, Slash is like whatever let's not take everything so serious.

But seeing Jimmy Page play on top of double decker bus did kill his career for me. I hear No Quarter and think you banging that 23 year old in your heritage mansion bitch. Perceptions matter. But GNR just out sold Zepp, Slash can play with Tiffany it don't matter. I mean Axl's version is like here's Bucket he plays with KFC box on his head I can do anything!

Edited by wasted

The thing about MJ is that there were rumors going back to the early 1980s about him and his fascination with younger boys. And there were other cases that did not get to court, such as Terry George, who never asked for anything/sought out the spotlight. And people like Corey Feldman, who says that MJ never laid a hand on him, but had a habit of throwing away his young 'friends' and cutting contact when they got too old. Everyone can and does make their own assumptions about this (I happen to think that he was not OK, but also that the two court cases were scams).

Since those rumors were out there and people outside of the music industry had even heard them by the mid 1980s and formed their own opinions, it's highly likely Axl had heard them too.

There are plenty of people out there who separate MJ the person from MJ the artist and admire what he did in the latter capacity without endorsing the former. Axl's saying that he considers MJ a favorite vocalist doesn't mean he respects or likes him as a person.

Edited by stella

Well, to be fair there were some other things going on with Michael Jackson before the child sex allegations came out. Going by memory here, so bare with me:

-He had a pet chimp, carried him around while the chimp had a diaper on

-Allegedly bought the "Elephant Man's" bones

-Brought the actor from the TV show "Webster" to the grammys, carried him around like a little kid

-Bought the Beatles music from under Paul McCartney, put a Beatles song on a NIKE commercial, a no-no back then

-His face was turning whiter for some reason

-Plastic surgery was beginning to get out of control

I remember awhile back reading about the Axl Michael Jordan Chaos In the Windy City Video Game /Michael Jackson Sonic the hedgehog 3 issue. It was due to jackson writting music for being a big sega fan. I didn't think much of it until I read about the alternate soundtrack later used for the space jam movie game soundtrack. it was a kids movie so they could have gone with something like estranged but it was criticized as to long and from the video game fallout? Also, MJackson was knocked out of Space jam himself for the soundtrack?

Edited by sliverjazz

I don't get why anyone likes Michael Jackson, I mean the whole world hates Gary Glitter but at least he served his time plus he had better songs than Wacko Jacko

Cult of personality. Jacko had it. I don't know why, but he did. And that makes people selectively ignore things.

I don't get why anyone likes Michael Jackson, I mean the whole world hates Gary Glitter but at least he served his time plus he had better songs than Wacko Jacko

MJ was a tragic human being in many ways. I'm not that familiar with all the accusations against him and how many of them were true. He was a disturbed person for sure. But the thing is, in my opinion a person and the art that he has created are two completely different things. If Hitler would have written great music, I would listen to it. Because art is art and you can't judge a song based on who created it. Cause then you're judging the person, not the song.

Anyway I wouldn't say that I like Michael Jackson, I just like his dancing and his music.

I don't really have all that much to say about the actual topic. I've always been under the impression that Axl likes some of Michael Jackson's music, or at least parts of them. Probably because of this quote: MG: Who else do you like?

Axl: I'm a big Metallica fan. I like the new Queensryche record. We listen to everything. It's hard to say about pop music, man, 'cause if you say you like the new Michael Jackson song, for instance, everybody thinks you like everything Michael Jackson ever did. So it's weird to say what you like. We usually only like parts of songs of just about anyone! We'll sit around and go, "Nah, that sucks, but that one bass part is cool."

• Like 2

I think that gets tricky. ^^^^^ A lot of the artists, musicians, writers and actors who do brilliant things with their craft are/were complete SOBs in real life, and we'd probably never trust them as far as we could spit if we had to interact with them IRL. And there always is a need to separate the person from their work, absolutely. You can detest a person and love what they do.

But I do think that many of us do have limits with this. Especially when the artist in question is still alive. Because if you buy their art or music, the money goes to them -- it supports the person. I don't support or buy anything associated with Roman Polanski because he will receive tangible monetary profit from it if I do. I don't care how good his stuff is; I don't want to put money in his pocket because of what he did. I felt the same way about MJ. If I bought his albums that was putting more money in his bank account to be a predator. That's a personal opinion, of course, and everyone decides how they feel about that sort of thing for themselves.

Edited by stella

remember awhile back reading about part of the axl v slash issue was due to slash playing guitar on some of Jackson's track...I didn't think much of it until I came across this video of guns accepting the mtv michael jackson video vanguard award.

go to the last minute and listen to axls parting shot..

I believe Axls remark was in regards to Nirvana. Nirvana had a Michael Jackson impersonator accepting an award an their behalf. This was the day Axl and Kurt got into it with Courtney Love taunting Axl, and him threatening to kick Kurt's ass.

aaand bingo!

MJ was a tragic human being in many ways. I'm not that familiar with all the accusations against him and how many of them were true. He was a disturbed person for sure. But the thing is, in my opinion a person and the art that he has created are two completely different things. If Hitler would have written great music, I would listen to it. Because art is art and you can't judge a song based on who created it. Cause then you're judging the person, not the song.

Anyway I wouldn't say that I like Michael Jackson, I just like his dancing and his music.

I don't really have all that much to say about the actual topic. I've always been under the impression that Axl likes some of Michael Jackson's music, or at least parts of them. Probably because of this quote: MG: Who else do you like?

Axl: I'm a big Metallica fan. I like the new Queensryche record. We listen to everything. It's hard to say about pop music, man, 'cause if you say you like the new Michael Jackson song, for instance, everybody thinks you like everything Michael Jackson ever did. So it's weird to say what you like. We usually only like parts of songs of just about anyone! We'll sit around and go, "Nah, that sucks, but that one bass part is cool."

This describes my feelings about this MJ thing

and what Axl said is true and they -as musicians- probably have got deeper understanding in music so therefor they view and hear every song as a musician

It's their profession and you can hardly abandon that POV...

For example: Axl wore a Charles Manson shirt. Manson is a fuck up, but his music was good...

I personally like Varg Vikernes (Burzum) music (nowadays more of his ambient stuff than his black metal). That doesn't mean i like him as a person or i like his political views/like what he did with Euronymous

Edited by Strange Broue

I think that gets tricky. ^^^^^ A lot of the artists, musicians, writers and actors who do brilliant things with their craft are/were complete SOBs in real life, and we'd probably never trust them as far as we could spit if we had to interact with them IRL. And there always is a need to separate the person from their work, absolutely. You can detest a person and love what they do.

But I do think that many of us do have limits with this. Especially when the artist in question is still alive. Because if you buy their art or music, the money goes to them -- it supports the person. I don't support or buy anything associated with Roman Polanski because he will receive tangible monetary profit from it if I do. I don't care how good his stuff is; I don't want to put money in his pocket because of what he did. I felt the same way about MJ. If I bought his albums that was putting more money in his bank account to be a predator. That's a personal opinion, of course, and everyone decides how they feel about that sort of thing for themselves.

So you rather steal from the artist, because what they do? that's a little bit dodgy logic, if you ask me... you don't support his bad moves, you actually support his art if you pay money for him. But it doesn't really matter, because most of the money goes to the labels, promoters and other leeches and maggots.

So you rather steal from the artist, because what they do? that's a little bit dodgy logic, if you ask me... you don't support his bad moves, you actually support his art if you pay money for him. But it doesn't really matter, because most of the money goes to the labels, promoters and other leeches and maggots.

I'm not quite sure how you extrapolated anything about theft from my comment. That's strange logic on your part, since I said nothing about that. When you don't choose to support an artist, it would imply that you don't want anything from them in any capacity. I would not accept an MJ album given to me as a gift, much less bother stealing one.

And when you buy something from an artist -- you support their business, which does support them. They get a royalty from it, and that goes to their bank account. It's everyone's decision if they want to do that, as I said,.

Edited by stella