Could a reunited GnR have a hit song?

Even if they somehow created music that was critically acclaimed across the board, top 40 listeners probably won't care. It would achieve quadruple what a new nu album would achieve, but at this point, that's not saying much. At best it will probably chart high on the Rock charts and that's it. Even the hit machines that are the Foo Fighters barely crack the top 100 anymore. I highly doubt gnr can do it long past their prime in their 50s. It's just unheard of.

I "hit" is defined music differently for rock music these days if you ask me.

It seems like having your song in the air supply makes it more of a hit than sales do. If it's used in promos, commercial bumpers and so on, then more people know it.

Even then, classic bands who achieve that status with a song have it forgotten extremely quickly.

i wonder if slash played on cd would people still be calling it shit..

They wouldn't
How can you speak for hundreds of thousands of people that you don't know?

GNR had three talented lead guitarists. Bucket and Robin, Bumble as well. Bucket by far was the most talented and without question can hold Slash's jockstrap. A lot of people judged the record because Axl is the only original member and frankly because Slash wasn't on it. Jimmy page could have played on it and people would still hate that he wasn't slash. That's common knowledge.. Some people may not like the music and that's fine but many judged it biastly for that reason.

I completely agree. There really isn't an objective reason to not like if artistic merit has anything to do with it.

They wouldn't

GNR had three talented lead guitarists. Bucket and Robin, Bumble as well. Bucket by far was the most talented and without question can hold Slash's jockstrap. A lot of people judged the record because Axl is the only original member and frankly because Slash wasn't on it. Jimmy page could have played on it and people would still hate that he wasn't slash. That's common knowledge.. Some people may not like the music and that's fine but many judged it biastly for that reason.

I completely agree. There really isn't an objective reason to not like if artistic merit has anything to do with it.

You just showed us that you have no idea what the word "objective" means.

Why don't you guys accept that people may have different opinions about music than you?

I can tell you for sure 99,9% of the people here who don't like CD wouldn't like it either if it was the same music just with Slash on it. Why can't you just accept that your beloved CD isn't considered a masterpiece outside of your minds by most people.

Still most people will agree Better and TWAT are awesome tunes. Please have a look in the booklet and let me know if Slash is credited on those songs.

I'm sorry to say but your theory isn't anything but wishful thinking guys. Deal with it.

They could but it's highly unlikely. It would be hard for me to imagine them getting together and making a truly quality song that would be a hit.

I just don't think the same people with the same minds are going to be able to get back in that moment and make it happen.

But I'd love to be proven wrong

Agreed, they are all in such different places now.

I'd love to be wrong.

you guys gotta be fucking kidding, right?

if they ever get around to making a full record it won't be a hit single, it will be bloody - BRILLIANT!

Gunners were not a bend like others, where they had 1,2 great albums that were made on wings of their inspiration, tey were the greatest bend in the history of music!

Those guys when they do get together turn everything they do to gold, that is one huge difference compared to Stones, Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin, Queen...

All those bands had 'leaks/flaws' on every single record, Gunners didn't.

They made one ego crap - My World, on 4 records!

you guys gotta be fucking kidding, right?

if they ever get around to making a full record it won't be a hit single, it will be bloody - BRILLIANT!

Gunners were not a bend like others, where they had 1,2 great albums that were made on wings of their inspiration, tey were the greatest bend in the history of music!

Those guys when they do get together turn everything they do to gold, that is one huge difference compared to Stones, Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin, Queen...

All those bands had 'leaks/flaws' on every single record, Gunners didn't.

They made one ego crap - My World, on 4 records!

Dude I love GNR. I even like My World in a strange kind of a way.

But we're talking about hit singles here. A hit single doesn't mean the same as a good song. We all love Estranged, but that song wasn't a hit single. Use Your Illusion records are full of filler songs if you ask the general public. Most people don't agree with you when you say that GNR turns everything to gold.

Rock music in general is pretty much dead these days. I do believe that if there's one band in the world that could possibly make rock music fashionable again, it would be reunited GNR. If Slash comes back to GNR that will be huge. There's no doubt about it. But is it enough to change the whole music scene. Could they actually make a global hit single? That we don't know.

In my country rock music is still pretty popular so I know that a new song by Axl and Slash would be a guaranteed hit. But I don't know about US for example. When was the last time that a rock song was a number one hit in the US charts?

Edited by Lies They Tell

They wouldn't

You just showed us that you have no idea what the word "objective" means.

Why don't you guys accept that people may have different opinions about music than you?

I can tell you for sure 99,9% of the people here who don't like CD wouldn't like it either if it was the same music just with Slash on it. Why can't you just accept that your beloved CD isn't considered a masterpiece outside of your minds by most people.

Still most people will agree Better and TWAT are awesome tunes. Please have a look in the booklet and let me know if Slash is credited on those songs.

I'm sorry to say but your theory isn't anything but wishful thinking guys. Deal with it.

I think they personally accept that people have different musical opinions. What normally happens is that the "Slash fans" (for lack of a better term) on this site go nuts when someone even hints at actually digging the songs on CD. And those people faaaaar outweigh the ones here that have an attitude of "Man, CD has some cool stuff on it."

Anyway, back on topic, I'd be shocked in the old school lineup would even be able to make a song together. Might be too much for them in what I'm betting is a still pretty sensitive situation. Shame too, because (as cool as it is) the reunion will be a nostalgia-fest.