Could a reunited GnR have a hit song?

i wonder if slash played on cd would people still be calling it shit..

They wouldn't
How can you speak for hundreds of thousands of people that you don't know?

GNR had three talented lead guitarists. Bucket and Robin, Bumble as well. Bucket by far was the most talented and without question can hold Slash's jockstrap. A lot of people judged the record because Axl is the only original member and frankly because Slash wasn't on it. Jimmy page could have played on it and people would still hate that he wasn't slash. That's common knowledge.. Some people may not like the music and that's fine but many judged it biastly for that reason.

I completely agree. There really isn't an objective reason to not like if artistic merit has anything to do with it.

You just showed us that you have no idea what the word "objective" means.

Why don't you guys accept that people may have different opinions about music than you?

I can tell you for sure 99,9% of the people here who don't like CD wouldn't like it either if it was the same music just with Slash on it. Why can't you just accept that your beloved CD isn't considered a masterpiece outside of your minds by most people.

Still most people will agree Better and TWAT are awesome tunes. Please have a look in the booklet and let me know if Slash is credited on those songs.

I'm sorry to say but your theory isn't anything but wishful thinking guys. Deal with it.

He may not be credited but cmon, that's the typical stubborn "eh i guess those songs are ok but it's garbage"

I'm not gonna force you to like chinese, some people don't, just like some people don't like slither or snakepit.

But a majority called into radio stations and even Dj's told Slash that they wanted the record to fail. Truth. Deal with it.

They wouldn't

GNR had three talented lead guitarists. Bucket and Robin, Bumble as well. Bucket by far was the most talented and without question can hold Slash's jockstrap. A lot of people judged the record because Axl is the only original member and frankly because Slash wasn't on it. Jimmy page could have played on it and people would still hate that he wasn't slash. That's common knowledge.. Some people may not like the music and that's fine but many judged it biastly for that reason.

I completely agree. There really isn't an objective reason to not like if artistic merit has anything to do with it.

Why don't you guys accept that people may have different opinions about music than you?

I can tell you for sure 99,9% of the people here who don't like CD wouldn't like it either if it was the same music just with Slash on it. Why can't you just accept that your beloved CD isn't considered a masterpiece outside of your minds by most people.

Still most people will agree Better and TWAT are awesome tunes. Please have a look in the booklet and let me know if Slash is credited on those songs.

I'm sorry to say but your theory isn't anything but wishful thinking guys. Deal with it.

He may not be credited but cmon, that's the typical stubborn "eh i guess those songs are ok but it's garbage"

I'm not gonna force you to like chinese, some people don't, just like some people don't like slither or snakepit.

But a majority called into radio stations and even Dj's told Slash that they wanted the record to fail. Truth. Deal with it.

Give me some sources for your last assertion please. If it's the case these guys are idiots but still these guys are the minority and it doesn't make my claim more or less untrue.

The rest is bullshit. You can't force anybody to like anything, but that's exactly what some weird people try to do when it comes to CD. "You just don't like it because it's not Slash" blah blah Bullshit.

Nobody here said you don't like Slither or Snakepit just because it's not Axl. The tenor is always "with Axl's tuch", "with Izzy's tuch" or something like that. That's a big difference because the music wouldn't be the same anymore so there would be a possibility to like it. Get it?

They probably could have a hit if the single was released before the album or just before a reunion show. The whole world would want to buy that single.

But I'm not sure what the song would be about. That's the hard part, where it fits in to the cannon. I'm not sure they would like "we're back to kick ya ass!" or like "we're the kings of LA".

I haven't heard How to be a man. So that is where Duff is? Izzy is always out there doing what he wants in his solo albums. Axl seems to have tackled a lot chicks on CD with This I Love closing out one big relationship. Then he has political issue songs and crazy train type vibes. I think Slash can easily make music that can be used and playing Izzy songs with Duff and Steven/Matt could be very close, but not sure it would hit the mark as to what people expect vibe wise. It might have a different vibe, less Guns blazing.

I would be interested in Izzy's take on a reunion, as in he had his say with Dust n Bones and 14 Years, even Pretty Tied Up, so that's a song I'd expect from him, explain why you're back? I think he'd use a railroad analogy or something. River would have been cool as a GNR song.

But I think they could have a hit song, a reunion would sell it. How it would rank with the classic hits they already have I don't know. But get in the billboard charts must be possible.

But looking at any other 90s band who have put out reunion or new records, it's still the old hits that matter.

I think a lot of people will automatically love anything a reunited lineup releases- the same way a lot of people automatically hated Chinese. Its more to do with image and perception than reality. If people thought CD featured Slash it would be regarded as one of the great records of all time which it is by any objective measure.

I think a lot of people will automatically love anything a reunited lineup releases- the same way a lot of people automatically hated Chinese. Its more to do with image and perception than reality. If people thought CD featured Slash it would be regarded as one of the great records of all time which it is by any objective measure.

I think the problem isnt it, the problem is CD insn´t hard rock. So slowly.

you guys gotta be fucking kidding, right?

if they ever get around to making a full record it won't be a hit single, it will be bloody - BRILLIANT!

Gunners were not a bend like others, where they had 1,2 great albums that were made on wings of their inspiration, tey were the greatest bend in the history of music!

Those guys when they do get together turn everything they do to gold, that is one huge difference compared to Stones, Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin, Queen...

All those bands had 'leaks/flaws' on every single record, Gunners didn't.

They made one ego crap - My World, on 4 records!

Dude I love GNR. I even like My World in a strange kind of a way.

But we're talking about hit singles here. A hit single doesn't mean the same as a good song. We all love Estranged, but that song wasn't a hit single. Use Your Illusion records are full of filler songs if you ask the general public. Most people don't agree with you when you say that GNR turns everything to gold.

Rock music in general is pretty much dead these days. I do believe that if there's one band in the world that could possibly make rock music fashionable again, it would be reunited GNR. If Slash comes back to GNR that will be huge. There's no doubt about it. But is it enough to change the whole music scene. Could they actually make a global hit single? That we don't know.

In my country rock music is still pretty popular so I know that a new song by Axl and Slash would be a guaranteed hit. But I don't know about US for example. When was the last time that a rock song was a number one hit in the US charts?

it depends what you personally consider a hit.

Don't know when you got into GNR nor how old you were abck in 1993, but considering its length, Estramged was HUGE back in the day.

Remember, it lasts almost 12 minutes so it is not exactly very radio nor tv friendly, but it definately did what it had to do.

There's not much on rock radio in terms of new music. We have bands like Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Sixx AM, Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, etc, but it seems that any new songs by bands that are over 15 years old seem to get played a lot at first and then drop from the airwaves. This happened with ACDC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, and a handful of others.

Could GnR break that spell though? Could a Slash and Axl reunion produce a hit song that will be played for years to come? Or, would a new GnR song be played for a month and then fall into the void of forgotten songs?

Could GnR have a crossover hit like Aerosmith's Don't Want To Miss a Thing that could introduce GnR to a whole new generation? A song like Patience or November Rain could easily accomplish this.... But do you think it will happen?

Could a Axl-Slash-Duff-Fortus-Frank-Dizzy-Chris lineup accomplish this? Or do you think they need Izzy on board?

Just some things I've been thinking about that I figured would make good discussion.

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Remember, it lasts almost 12 minutes so it is not exactly very radio nor tv friendly

That was kinda my point. Just because a song is great, doesn't mean that it's a hit. A hit song must be radio friendly too. GNR type of music in general isn't very radio friendly, especially not these days when all hit music is basically pop/rap/EDM music..

Exactly! If you actually consider Estranged to be a hit, then sure a reunited GNR could have a hit song easily. But If we're talking about Billboard top 20 material here, that's a major challenge.

There's not much on rock radio in terms of new music. We have bands like Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Sixx AM, Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, etc, but it seems that any new songs by bands that are over 15 years old seem to get played a lot at first and then drop from the airwaves. This happened with ACDC, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, and a handful of others.

Could GnR break that spell though? Could a Slash and Axl reunion produce a hit song that will be played for years to come? Or, would a new GnR song be played for a month and then fall into the void of forgotten songs?

Could GnR have a crossover hit like Aerosmith's Don't Want To Miss a Thing that could introduce GnR to a whole new generation? A song like Patience or November Rain could easily accomplish this.... But do you think it will happen?

Could a Axl-Slash-Duff-Fortus-Frank-Dizzy-Chris lineup accomplish this? Or do you think they need Izzy on board?

Just some things I've been thinking about that I figured would make good discussion.

In today's climate, not really. They'd probably be able to make a decent lead single that would get airplay on rock radio -- a la Slash's recent hits -- but nothing that would have people dancing in the hallways of their highschool.

It doesn't make it any truer just because you repeat a 100 times

you guys gotta be fucking kidding, right?

if they ever get around to making a full record it won't be a hit single, it will be bloody - BRILLIANT!

Gunners were not a bend like others, where they had 1,2 great albums that were made on wings of their inspiration, tey were the greatest bend in the history of music!

Those guys when they do get together turn everything they do to gold, that is one huge difference compared to Stones, Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin, Queen...

All those bands had 'leaks/flaws' on every single record, Gunners didn't.

They made one ego crap - My World, on 4 records!

Dude I love GNR. I even like My World in a strange kind of a way.

But we're talking about hit singles here. A hit single doesn't mean the same as a good song. We all love Estranged, but that song wasn't a hit single. Use Your Illusion records are full of filler songs if you ask the general public. Most people don't agree with you when you say that GNR turns everything to gold.

Rock music in general is pretty much dead these days. I do believe that if there's one band in the world that could possibly make rock music fashionable again, it would be reunited GNR. If Slash comes back to GNR that will be huge. There's no doubt about it. But is it enough to change the whole music scene. Could they actually make a global hit single? That we don't know.

In my country rock music is still pretty popular so I know that a new song by Axl and Slash would be a guaranteed hit. But I don't know about US for example. When was the last time that a rock song was a number one hit in the US charts?

Don't know when you got into GNR nor how old you were abck in 1993, but considering its length, Estramged was HUGE back in the day.

Remember, it lasts almost 12 minutes so it is not exactly very radio nor tv friendly, but it definately did what it had to do.

12 minutes? Which Estranged are you talking about? :lol:

They wouldn't

Give me some sources for your last assertion please. If it's the case these guys are idiots but still these guys are the minority and it doesn't make my claim more or less untrue.

The rest is bullshit. You can't force anybody to like anything, but that's exactly what some weird people try to do when it comes to CD. "You just don't like it because it's not Slash" blah blah Bullshit.

Nobody here said you don't like Slither or Snakepit just because it's not Axl. The tenor is always "with Axl's tuch", "with Izzy's tuch" or something like that. That's a big difference because the music wouldn't be the same anymore so there would be a possibility to like it. Get it?

I get it, but neither you or your avatar may :lol:

They wouldn't

I get it, but neither you or your avatar may :lol:

However dude

in this day and age, axl has milked the gnr legacy to no avail year after year as has slash, adler and duff with their respective bands covering their old songs, yes i say cover because thats all it is when the fucking originals are not together and nobody has written any gnr worthy shit since

if they really want to redeem themselves, a reunion of the old songs won't do it, these fuckers need to do an album and there is nothing that would say they are not capable of doing that provided the chemistry the OG"s have, so whatever it fucking takes, write something fucking new that is good for fucks sake, that my friend would be GNR

quite simply their legacy/longevity/catalogue did not last long enough to fucking milk that motherfucking cow some more

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

They will. At the conclusion of Slash's tour, some form of the band from the AFD-Illusion era with possibly Richard will record a new album in 2016. In 2017 they will release the new album in conjunction with a remastered 30th anniversary of AFD and then tour to support both albums. It's ok to trust me.

I really would like a new album that reflects their actual growth as people and musicians. So deep lyrics, long guitar solos and lots of experimentation. Both AFD and UYI are full of juvenile lyrics and I kind of want to see where they can take "Guns N' Roses" now they are older.

I was just thinking they should make a bigger version of Lies.

Take a bunch of Izzy songs and work them into a kickass punk Sticky Fingers meets Some Girls. 10 songs. One epic Moonlight Mile type song to end it. But keep the rest dirty rock n roll. Izzy and Snakepit style. A couple of acoustic songs, one Slash rocker based of Izzy riff like Suckertain Blues, a Duff/Izzy punk song. Channel Thin Lizzy and Ramones. I think it would work and be a liitle more understated and dirty than UYI.

They will. At the conclusion of Slash's tour, some form of the band from the AFD-Illusion era with possibly Richard will record a new album in 2016. In 2017 they will release the new album in conjunction with a remastered 30th anniversary of AFD and then tour to support both albums. It's ok to trust me.

That's a long nap bro.