anyone ever play the gnr pinball machine?

That is very, very cool, Blackjacker! Would love to see a vid, if you are able to do that.

I imagine the amount of work involved would indeed, be great. So cool that you are doing this.

Way late, but here's an in-progress video from a couple days ago. A horrible video, actually - with my iPhone balanced on the machine and the glass still on, so there's all kinds of glare. You really can't see much so thankfully this video's all about the audio.

Most of the music is pretty much sorted out, except for Gilby and Duff modes (they share a music background track, and Gilby mode then runs the motorcycle noise on top of that - I'm still trying to sort the best way to handle those two modes.) SFX and callouts are a work in progress, but I'm definitely closer to being finished than being started.

Getting proper, quality tracks in the machine TRANSFORMS the playing experience. It really is a different machine with the PinSound board installed.

Video's at the bottom - it's kinda long (12 mins) so here's a cheat sheet to the major music/SFX points. Starts from power-off, so you can see/hear the PinSound boot process.

0:20 boot.wav starts
0:36 background civil war
0:39 mode start - matt
0:48 encore
1:15 add band member
1:24 tick tock
1:30 mode start - slash
1:39 kickback (car rev)
2:21 coma is lit
2:33 mode start - gilby
3:11 add band member
3:14 mode start - coma
3:59 extra ball awarded
4:24 add band member
4:48 extra ball start
4:54 mode start - snakepit
5:06 add band member
5:54 mode start - dizzy ramps
6:28 mode start - duff
7:06 mode start - axl 3 ball
8:06 mystery
8:14 mode start - riot
9:57 add band member via trigger (no trigger sound)
11:37 match sequence - new chick laugh and "oh dude" voice
11:43 game over outro music

That's so fucking rad, Blackjacker.

So the music files themselves that you put on the pinsound board...are they just mp3's? Does the pinsound board have like a flashdrive on it or something?

So the music files themselves that you put on the pinsound board...are they just mp3's? Does the pinsound board have like a flashdrive on it or something?

Yep. WAV files, and the PinSound board has a USB socket - edit the audio on the PC, plug the drive into the PinSound, play a game and see what you've fucked up and what works, then pop the drive back into the PC for another round of edits.

Lots of iteration, and trial-and-error, but playtesting is the only way to really see what works and doesn't. I originally had the bright idea that Axl's "We go on stage around 9" line from Brownstone would be perfect in place of the 'woosh' sound that's played when you hit the "Add Band Member" lane and get another guy on-stage. And it was! Perfect length, and thematically it couldn't be a better fit. But after 3-4 times hearing it it was easy to see how it would drive you fucking crazy hearing that every time you got someone onstage.

• Like 1

Yep. WAV files, and the PinSound board has a USB socket - edit the audio on the PC, plug the drive into the PinSound, play a game and see what you've fucked up and what works, then pop the drive back into the PC for another round of edits.

Lots of iteration, and trial-and-error, but playtesting is the only way to really see what works and doesn't. I originally had the bright idea that Axl's "We go on stage around 9" line from Brownstone would be perfect in place of the 'woosh' sound that's played when you hit the "Add Band Member" lane and get another guy on-stage. And it was! Perfect length, and thematically it couldn't be a better fit. But after 3-4 times hearing it it was easy to see how it would drive you fucking crazy hearing that every time you got someone onstage.

What about speakers? Do people upgrade speakers on pins? I imagine the originals maybe didn't need to be very good since the audio was so crummy, or no?

• Like 1

What about speakers? Do people upgrade speakers on pins? I imagine the originals maybe didn't need to be very good since the audio was so crummy, or no?

Oh sure. I have a set from Flipper Fidelity in mine - replaces both backbox speakers and the cabinet speaker. And I have a powered subwoofer connected as well.

The stock speakers are pretty awful. You're right - they didn't have to be too great, since the audio quality was abysmal to begin with, but they really were super-cheap paper cone speakers. And remember, those are over 20 years old now, and many of these machines were in 'hostile' environments for much of their lives.

Some people buy their own individual replacement speaker components, but Pinball Pro and Flipper Fidelity both sell comparable kits that include the three speakers, crossover, and volume controls, and you can also get them without the additional volume control and crossover (which is what I did) since the PinSound board takes care of those functions.