Gun Control/Rights Thread

RussTCB

Girls at school didnt him?!? Do you know how long it took for me to crack my first case, i bought that girl so many Mars bars its untrue, i even went out and got her Mums Superkings, i sat through the Little Mermaid and everything...STILL didnt get nothing! I had to take a bird round the back of the science block just to get a peck on the lips! I was like why'd you go all that way just for that and she goes 'i dont wannabe seen with one of you lot in public!' :lol: Cheers! :lol:

Its important to maintain a sense of humour about these things i suppose!

Especially when your lot are predisposed to a bit of that eh? :lol:
  • Like 2

So I am curious. For those blaming mental illness as the cause of these mass shootings, how exactly would you identify if a person has a mental illness to require treatment or prevent them from getting a gun?

Do we force all Americans to get analyzed before they can buy a gun? I am not seeing how we solve this issue.

If you remove the guns you are merely removing the means, not the cause. Why are young American kids predisposed to do this?

Are they? I would bet that the amount of mentally ill teenagers or people in general is almost the same in all western societies. The difference is, you won't hear of them, because they don't have access to guns and therefore are just not able to go on a killing spree.

Plus, what's more likely or easier to accomplish, identifiying and "curing" all mentally ill people or banning guns in order to prevent such people from getting access to them in the first place? (btw. I doubt that all gunmans are mentally ill, so that also won't solve the problem...)

You remove guns and you are merely going to end up with a lot of young people who wish to go on a killing spree, but do not have the means to do so, i.e. not an ideal scenario? (Or do they? Britain has some of the strictest firearm laws in the world yet it is fairly easy for gangs to obtain handguns in urban environments. There are also knives!). I actually feel America would benefit from firearm regulations but it seems to me that a lot of people view gun enforcement as this ideal holistic solution. You also have to ask the question why anyone would want to do this? Perhaps you can arrive at the causes, the broken society, social problems, nihilistic 'heavy metal' culture, etc.

Can I be the first to blame the parents?

Modern parenting teaching kids they're special just hides them away from the real world, and then when things get tough (read get real) then meltdown and do this shit.

I remember the gun spree kid that was filming videos of him bitching about girls at school not liking him. Can't remember which shooting as there have been so many, but poor little buttercup went on a gun rampage as he couldn't get laid.

Filming videos in his fucking BMW no less. "You showed up, here's a trophy." Kids need to feel like shit about themselves every now and then. It teaches them that every day is not for them, and rainbows dropping money don't follow them around.

So I am curious. For those blaming mental illness as the cause of these mass shootings, how exactly would you identify if a person has a mental illness to require treatment or prevent them from getting a gun?

Do we force all Americans to get analyzed before they can buy a gun? I am not seeing how we solve this issue.

Not giving them Paxil, Prozac, and everything else under the sun from age 8 would be a start.

Modern parenting teaching kids they're special just hides them away from the real world, and then when things get tough (read get real) then meltdown and do this shit.

I remember the gun spree kid that was filming videos of him bitching about girls at school not liking him. Can't remember which shooting as there have been so many, but poor little buttercup went on a gun rampage as he couldn't get laid.

Filming videos in his fucking BMW no less. "You showed up, here's a trophy." Kids need to feel like shit about themselves every now and then. It teaches them that every day is not for them, and rainbows dropping money don't follow them around.

Not giving them Paxil, Prozac, and everything else under the sun from age 8 would be a start.

And not giving them drugs would solve what exactly? I agree our country is over medicated but somehow I don't think that solves the problem.

The questions is still open to those of you against gun control. Some of you are blaming it on mental illness yet I still have not heard how you would identify those who are mentally ill so they could be treated or be prevented from buying a firearms.

We can't even get the bare minimum background check legislations passed, for those wanting to by a gun, so how on earth would we be able to identlfy and treat the mentally unstable or prevent them from buying a gun?

Sounds like a deflection excuse by gun lovers to justify objecting to more stringent gun regulation to me.

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

If you remove the guns you are merely removing the means, not the cause. Why are young American kids predisposed to do this?

Sure, but not having the means surely would prevent some of these mass shooting tragedies yes? fi they can't get a gun they can't shoot anyone or am I missing something?

I do agree we could do a better job handling mental illness here in the U.S. but that is not the total solution as IMHO we need more stingent gun laws in parallel.

These drugs fuck people up six ways from Sunday, the side effects have a list longer than the ingredients in Taco Bell, take an already h stable mind, and people snap. Something like 95% of these shooters are on some kind of pharmaceutical, and have been for some time. It isn't rocket science to see the correlation.

If i can get drugs for free for the rest of my life i guarantee i'll leave everybody alone :D

These drugs fuck people up six ways from Sunday, the side effects have a list longer than the ingredients in Taco Bell, take an already h stable mind, and people snap. Something like 95% of these shooters are on some kind of pharmaceutical, and have been for some time. It isn't rocket science to see the correlation.

We have the same drugs in Canada and very dissimilar levels in gun violence.

the problem with paxil and anti depressants are very real in the US. gun control and all that put on the side and this is still a problem. i knew someone on paxil that would have strange dreams and have dark thoughts, the doctor told him to take double the dose, which caused this person to black out and go into a rage you see in horror movies. this person would never hurt a fly normally and would give you the shirt of his back. paxil even says on the packaging that it may cause "bouts of rage" and also mentions how to call the doctor if you feel hostile, aggressive etc. its not gun owners deflecting blame it is still a serious issue that needs to be addressed all the same whether it is tied to gun control or not doesnt matter.

as for canada having these drugs and not the gun violence, you have a little over 10% of the population of the US and you are sparsely populated but you also dont have to deal with the cartels bringing drugs and heavy firepower across the border and into the inner cities, the gangs in the inner cities shooting each other for turf to sell said drugs and weapons. this is what makes up a bulk of the shootings in the US. in 2013 over 60% of shootings in chicago were gang related and in baltimore it was almost 80%. in certain states you dont have to worry about those things. my state(not far from canada) has some of the most lax gun laws in the nation but we have a murder rate lower than canada and most countries. people open carry guns into grocery stores, post offices, convenient stores etc and its not a big deal. me personally i never carry a gun on me i usually just keep a knife.

Edited by bran

You're the right track, Bran. It's not necessarily the drugs that are the problem, but it's the fact that the mental health care system in this country is a joke. Instead sitting a person down and working through their issues with a therapist or whoever else, they get written a script and sent on their merry way instead - it's the same mindset our prison system works under. So combine someone who's already unstable with a heavy dose of mind altering drugs, and, well, it's not a surprise they pick up a gun and take it out on the world.

• Like 1

Exactly, what the fuck goes through a doctor's head when someone tells them a drug is fucking them up, and they tell them to take more.

Also bran, isn't it like Chicago that has the strictest laws in the country and one of, if not the highest gun violence rate in the country?

• Like 1

Its funny how the focus becomes crazed on-pharma-drugs-since-infancy American white kids when I'm reasonably certain that it aint them that have been doing people in mass numbers across America for years, its criminals right, i mean like societies criminal element, America aint under threat from white kids going mad and shooting places up, that aint what makes the murder rates so high, its street shit isnt it?

Exactly, what the fuck goes through a doctor's head when someone tells them a drug is fucking them up, and they tell them to take more.

Also bran, isn't it like Chicago that has the strictest laws in the country and one of, if not the highest gun violence rate in the country?

yeah they have really strict gun laws. they had a handgun ban but a federal judge ruled it unconstitutional last year(IIRC) but yeah they have crazy gun rates and murder rates most of which are gang related. in 2013 there were 267 shooting in chicago of those 163 were gang related. a chief of police in baltimore said about 75-80% of shootings were gang affiliation. same goes with washington dc which is pretty much equal or worse to chicago. you take away guns(which will never happen) these gang members are still going to kill other gang members for prime spots when it comes to selling drugs and drug cartels are still going to kill people to get the drugs into the US to sell to the gang members that sell it in the inner cities. people with mental health issues that go into black out rages are still going to kill people. even if guns were completely out of the picture we still have these issues to deal with. the problem is solving those issues would take huge amounts of time, money and effort its just easier for politicians(who could give a shit less about gun violence)to go out and feign outrage about guns to score votes and support instead of actually looking into the actual problems.

Its funny how the focus becomes crazed on-pharma-drugs-since-infancy American white kids when I'm reasonably certain that it aint them that have been doing people in mass numbers across America for years, its criminals right, i mean like societies criminal element, America aint under threat from white kids going mad and shooting places up, that aint what makes the murder rates so high, its street shit isnt it?

the bulk of gun deaths are suicides. then i think when it comes to murder and actual shootings the bulk comes from gangs and cartels. the bulk of mass shootings comes from white kids on antidepressants IMO.

Yeah but my point is how many people die due to mass shootings compared to the others?

its hard to get concrete statistics for that. the last statistic i could find was from 2007-2013 there were 900 deaths due to the FBI definition of "mass shootings" so around 128 deaths a year.

for total gun related homicides all i could find is.

2007: 10,129

2008: 9,528

2009: 9,199

2010: 8,874

2011: 8,523

2012: 8,855

2013: 8,454

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

finding how many were gang related and all that is tough since the only information you get is from police and some police won't give information about that stuff. in chicago in 2013 it was 267 shootings, 163 were gang related and in baltimore the police chief in either 2013 or 2014 said 75-80% were gang related.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/09/24/report-gang-activity-increasing-throughout-maryland/

Edited by bran

Too bad they can't just send in some troops and purge the gangs. Round up all the known gang members and leaders and shoot them.

i just wish they would legalize drugs, would kill alot of incentive for gangs to shoot people.

Too bad they can't just send in some troops and purge the gangs. Round up all the known gang members and leaders and shoot them.

i just wish they would legalize drugs, would kill alot of incentive for gangs to shoot people.

Legalizing drugs would hurt their rackets. But there's still prostitution and gambling.

Legalizing drugs would hurt their rackets. But there's still prostitution and gambling.

im good with legalizing those as well. you can bet on horse racing but you better not bet on football or do any other type of gambling!