Matt Sorum on reunion: "I plead the fifth"

Axl can want a reunion all he wants- until TB/mommy sign off nothing is gonna happen. I'm half serious too. Axl can be thinking about it but he's got mommy/TB talking him out of it. "Evil Slash" etc...reminding him of how bad Slash is. And remember what Fernando boy said "my band".

I like how people interpret anyone saying anything as "it's happening", "reunion starts now!", "they know something but can't talk about it", "it's in the works", etc.

The two main characters in this: Axl Rose and Slash (no offense to others who are great musicians as well) have yet to say anything. Last time we "heard" about Axl, he posted random stuff about how an Iranian journalist's wife couldn't play a soccer game, then filmed a Canadair in his backyard and finally posted a pic sending a shoutout to a Brazilian samba author/ player. Whatever that means about "reunion starts now!".

Slash keeps on posting random pics on Twitter/ Instagram (with no apparent link to GN'R or a reunion), will start a new European tour in a few weeks and will work on a new album with Myles Kennedy in the next few months. If he reunites with anyone, it will be with Myles. :)

As for Gilby, Matt or even Steven...when was the last time they shared a stage/ studio with Axl? If a reunion does happen (or actually if *anything* happens - the last show was well over a year ago), well good for us, but I don't see any "signs" pointing to it. Axl and Slash probably got a little bit "closer" as far as business relationship goes, with live releases and all but I highly doubt it means a full reunion is "in the works". I guess we're all waiting for one of them saying anything concrete about it (Slash didn't say anything since his "famous" interview...). Sorry about the rant but sometimes I just don't get how people think everything means a reunion is happening... ;)

Spot on.

People twist innocent statements to fit their own agenda. It's funny to watch.

But here's the problem with that simplistic explanation.

Slash's statement = innocent statement

BBF quitting = innocent resignation

DJ quitting = innocent resignation

Tommy appearing to be out = innocent disappearance

Slash's brother turning a 180 on the speculation and his comments about Axl = innocent

Axl on a strict diet = innocent situation

Supposed big year for GNR in 2016 = innocent statement

Matt pleading the fifth as a joke when he could simply deny it = innocent statement

At this point, it's a little more than someone on a forum just twisting a statement to suit an "agenda."

Multiple actions AND statements are expelling smoke.

to me it's all GNR. I guess I want what Axl has been working on but I guess for touring the most exciting option is a reunion show.

What would your thoughts be if Axl just grabbed two more semi-known virtuosos and kept going?
That would be the pimp move and I would 100% support it. A reunion is good for everyone but Axl. As we've seen it let's CD become something to be forgotten and here is the real deal. Fuck that CD II and a couple of hired mercenaries to tour it. Go out in a blaze of defiance!

Slash's brother turning a 180 on the speculation and his comments about Axl = innocent

Matt pleading the fifth as a joke when he could simply deny it = innocent statement

What's "simplistic" about it? When someone has a different point of view about "reunion starts now!" (by the way when did it start? - oh, we're still waiting for someone to announce the announcement... :)), it has to be "simplistic"? Interesting...

"Slash's statement = innocent statement" > (who said it was "innocent"?) Who ever confirmed what he said/ meant in that interview/ comment? What's Axl's point of view about it? It probably just means the business relationship between them got better, but I highly doubt they talk on a regular basis or whatever.
"BBF quitting = innocent resignation" > No, but he probably just got bored of not being able to record anything new with GN'R since 2006. He even sent some song's ideas to Axl (including Argentina), and he eventually recorded them himself on a solo album.
"DJ quitting = innocent resignation" > He probably got bored as well after one full year of nothing going on, with no announcement about anything (new material, live concerts, even recording sessions). He had the choice between a band that was not active and another band offering new things with a full tour coming up soon and a double album on which he can be fully creative (whether we like his playing or not).
"Tommy appearing to be out = innocent disappearance" > Tommy had a few arguments with Axl over the years, and even "quit" the band after an Indian show a few years ago, and then he was back shortly after that. I guess Tommy will be there if the band is active again.
"Slash's brother turning a 180 on the speculation and his comments about Axl = innocent" > No, Slash was pretty pissed about his lame ass comments. Actually Slash never really likes hearing anyone badmouthing Axl around him. And the "fat Elvis" comment was really not necessary.
"Axl on a strict diet = innocent situation" > Who else confirmed Axl is on such diet? I'm not sure Slash's brother is the person to go to if you want to have news about Axl or his physical situation. ;)
"Supposed big year for GNR in 2016 = innocent statement" > Axl Rose himself said Chinese Democracy will be out in 2007. It didn't happen. A lot of things get planned and do not happen with GN'R...
"Matt pleading the fifth as a joke when he could simply deny it = innocent statement" > I'm pretty sure he just meant he doesn't know what's going on... I kinda doubt Matt knows anything about a reunion.
I'm not against a reunion of course, and if it does happen it would be great for everyone, but I just don't see it happening, and I don't see the recent comments coming from Gilby, Matt or Steven as "signs" of a reunion...

It wasn't in response to you but I guess I should have quoted.

When someone tries to explain several, not 1, not 3, not 5 but at least 8 coincidences with "people are just twisting the comments to suit their agenda," it's simplistic.

Edited by Rustycage

It wasn't in response to you but I guess I should have quoted.

When someone tries to explain several, not 1, not 3, not 5 but at least 8 coincidences with "people are just twisting the comments to suit their agenda," it's simplistic.

Agreed, the amount of "coincidences" going on the last couple months has all signs pointing towards something big happening with the old band. It could all fall apart at any point but there seems to be something going on currently, the wheels are in motion.

I think the outlook that we are jumping the gun here is ridiculous, but I get it. There have been signs of a lot happening with this band at different times and most of the time these signs are wrong. I think the fan inside all of us should hope we are moving towards a reunion. The nugnr has been a series of disappointments. Things are looking good right now.

All we can hope is that Axl shows up in shape and voice intact for whatever comes next. If he's ready then I'm ready for whatever. Hopefully and it's what looks like will be a reunion.

What's "simplistic" about it? When someone has a different point of view about "reunion starts now!" (by the way when did it start? - oh, we're still waiting for someone to announce the announcement... :)), it has to be "simplistic"? Interesting...

"Slash's statement = innocent statement" > (who said it was "innocent"?) Who ever confirmed what he said/ meant in that interview/ comment? What's Axl's point of view about it? It probably just means the business relationship between them got better, but I highly doubt they talk on a regular basis or whatever.
"BBF quitting = innocent resignation" > No, but he probably just got bored of not being able to record anything new with GN'R since 2006. He even sent some song's ideas to Axl (including Argentina), and he eventually recorded them himself on a solo album.
"DJ quitting = innocent resignation" > He probably got bored as well after one full year of nothing going on, with no announcement about anything (new material, live concerts, even recording sessions). He had the choice between a band that was not active and another band offering new things with a full tour coming up soon and a double album on which he can be fully creative (whether we like his playing or not).
"Tommy appearing to be out = innocent disappearance" > Tommy had a few arguments with Axl over the years, and even "quit" the band after an Indian show a few years ago, and then he was back shortly after that. I guess Tommy will be there if the band is active again.
"Slash's brother turning a 180 on the speculation and his comments about Axl = innocent" > No, Slash was pretty pissed about his lame ass comments. Actually Slash never really likes hearing anyone badmouthing Axl around him. And the "fat Elvis" comment was really not necessary.
"Axl on a strict diet = innocent situation" > Who else confirmed Axl is on such diet? I'm not sure Slash's brother is the person to go to if you want to have news about Axl or his physical situation. ;)
"Supposed big year for GNR in 2016 = innocent statement" > Axl Rose himself said Chinese Democracy will be out in 2007. It didn't happen. A lot of things get planned and do not happen with GN'R...
"Matt pleading the fifth as a joke when he could simply deny it = innocent statement" > I'm pretty sure he just meant he doesn't know what's going on... I kinda doubt Matt knows anything about a reunion.
I'm not against a reunion of course, and if it does happen it would be great for everyone, but I just don't see it happening, and I don't see the recent comments coming from Gilby, Matt or Steven as "signs" of a reunion...

The only thing I disagree with is that Matt really meant "I don't know anything" and just chose his words poorly, I think he did it on purpose so people would think he did know something. I do agree that it is doubtful he knows anything.