2016 RNRHOF thread

Silent Jay

Dave Marsh had also said that the HBO specials are influencing the inductions (he's the guy who supposedly kept KISS out of the Rock Hall). At least as a committee member, he acknowledged T-Rex not being in the running and hard rock & metal being underrepresented. Punk rock is barely on the radar. Green Day really was a joke as far as inductions go because they're far from influential.

Evans, gillan, coverdale, hughes, lord, glover, paice, blackmore are the ones being inducted

Basically the right ones, although is Nick Simper not being included just cause he's not famous? 3 albums.

Hey i would throw in everybody excluding Joe Lynn Turner

Cheap Trick

Chicago

Deep Purple

N.W.A

Steve Miller

Really surprised NIN didn't make it, but that's a great list.

4 shitrocks, no chic, no nin

awful

ummm. this RNRHOF thing should be about shit rock

no chic and no NIN?

geeez, neckbeard PC principal arrived....

If they get all of Deep Purple on stage I doubt they will play. They will more likely fight.

they will more likely won't show up

Edited by Strange Broue

I wouldn't care about Chic not being inducted if they hadn't been nominated, as they're not really a rock act, but nominating them and then neglecting to induct them suggests that the Hall sees them as qualified for discussion, but not as good/influential/innovative as Steve Miller. That's fucking horseshit. Steve Miller, Cheap Trick and Chicago are just three generic shit-rock bands that happened to be around making shit-rock when shit-rock was a thing. Nile Rodgers has more talent in his strumming hand than everyone else on the nomination list combined.

You can argue about how important industrial rock is, but the fact is NIN basically popularized it. They're to industrial as Black Sabbath was to metal. So to the Hall, I guess having a few shit-rock hits is more worthy of induction than innovating a sub-genre.

Edited by bacardimayne

ummm. this RNRHOF thing should be about shit rock

no chic and no NIN?

geeez, neckbeard PC principal arrived....

Are you implying that Cheap Trick and Steve Miller are more influential rock acts than NIN?

South Park hasn't been funny in 10 years.

1. Actually, yes, but i like NIN more, yet still think they shouldn't be inducted NOW

2. South Park hasn't been funny in 12 years, but the current season was great

Edited by Strange Broue

I wouldn't care about Chic not being inducted if they hadn't been nominated, as they're not really a rock act, but nominating them and then neglecting to induct them suggests that the Hall sees them as qualified for discussion, but not as good/influential/innovative as Steve Miller. That's fucking horseshit. Steve Miller, Cheap Trick and Chicago are just three generic shit-rock bands that happened to be around making shit-rock when shit-rock was a thing. Nile Rodgers has more talent in his strumming hand than everyone else on the nomination list combined.

You can argue about how important industrial rock is, but the fact is NIN basically popularized it. They're to industrial as Black Sabbath was to metal. So to the Hall, I guess having a few shit-rock hits is more worthy of induction than innovating a sub-genre.

But that was the original point of the RNRHOF :facepalm:

Nowadays Green day and NWA will be on the Hall of Fame which is more than laughable

Industrial rock was popular before NIN at least in Europe....

Have you ever heard about Kraftwerk? They were basically the first industrial band but at that time it was called krautrock

Gotta induct every single generic classic rock band that ever had a hit, then we can move on to other subgenres

or just make another HOF for other genres. remember: rap and hip hop is not a subgenre of rock

Edited by Strange Broue

Nowadays Green day and NWA will be on the Hall of Fame which is more than laughable

So the original point of the HOF was to induct 70s classic rock bands and nothing else? Other rock subgenres don't matter?

How is Green Day not deserving of induction? They're arguably the biggest punk rock band of all time, whether or not you like them.

Nickelback will also be inducted and you'll get mad again.

or just make another HOF for other genres. remember: rap and hip hop is not a subgenre of rock

No, it's not, but they've already inducted Run DMC, Flava Flav and now NWA. They've set a precedent that they'll be inducting hip hop artists among others and that the Hall is no longer just about rock. Probably a good move for their survival as the years go by and they have less 70s classic rock bands to induct..

Edited by bacardimayne

So the original point of the HOF was to induct 70s classic rock bands and nothing else? Other rock subgenres don't matter?

How is Green Day not deserving of induction? They're arguably the biggest punk rock band of all time, whether or not you like them.

The original point of the HOF was induct rock acts whom earned legacy.

Your whole position on this " sh..i.t.rock doesn't matter on the ROCKANDROLLHALLOFFAME therefore we NEED to relativise everything" is not edgy anymore

Green Day is the biggest punk rock band? :facepalm:

You know nothing about punk rock if you think some wealthy rich kids from the suburb with a pop sound is the greatest punk rock band of all time

and i actually liked them when i was 13-14

Now Nickelback is what i could call a shit rock band. A realy shitty band

But if you really concerned about popularising a genre, then they are belong to this joke of a fame

Edited by Strange Broue

Your whole position on this " Nobody puts baby in a corner doesn't matter on the ROCKANDROLLHALLOFFAME therefore we NEED to relativise everything" is not edgy anymore

You know nothing about punk rock if you think some wealthy rich kids from the suburb with a pop sound is the greatest punk rock band of all time

But if you really concerned about popularising a genre, then they are belong to this joke of a fame

I didn't say shit-rock doesn't matter. It's just not the only thing that matters. The current induction ballot includes four 70s classic rock acts out of the five inductees. No one's trying to be edgy, stop yelling that when you're losing.

Yes, Green Day is the biggest punk rock band. They've sold the most records and have the biggest fan base. That's the criteria for biggest. I did not say greatest. Greatest implies quality. Biggest does not. Stop pointing at strawmen.

Yes, Nickelback is awful, but they will be inducted and deserve to be. They're one of few rock bands in the 2000s to achieve mainstream success at a level similar to top pop artists. The world doesn't revolve around classic rock fans' opinions.

Your whole position on this " Nobody puts baby in a corner doesn't matter on the ROCKANDROLLHALLOFFAME therefore we NEED to relativise everything" is not edgy anymore

I didn't say shit-rock doesn't matter. It's just not the only thing that matters. The current induction ballot includes four 70s classic rock acts out of the five inductees. No one's trying to be edgy, stop yelling that when you're losing.

Yes, Green Day is the biggest punk rock band. They've sold the most records and have the biggest fan base. That's the criteria for biggest. I did not say greatest. Greatest implies quality. Biggest does not. Stop pointing at strawmen.

Yes, Nickelback is awful, but they will be inducted and deserve to be. They're one of few rock bands in the 2000s to achieve mainstream success at a level similar to top pop artists. The world doesn't revolve around classic rock fans' opinions.

This is a hall of fame. Therefore older bands should come first. For example Deep Purple's long awaited induction just happening. They would deserve this for a long time...

You are just wants to be edgy all the time. i'm losing what exactly? Your musical knowledge is questionable at best so that was rich coming from you....

Pistols and Ramones have more fans and they sold more records. They were/are bigger

So you argue about semantics now eh? tryin' too hard to be edgy, again...

The world revolve around money

You know what? i think Nickelback should be inducted despite the fact that they are shit

So far -

Peter Cetera hasn't confirmed or denied he is or isn't playing with Chicago.

Danny Seraphine will be playing drums for Chicago.

Ian Gillan was pissed Steve Morse wasn't inducted, and Tommy Bolin should have been included (Glenn Hughes will mention him at the induction).

Bun E. can't stand Robin Zander but he'll be playing.

Edited by dalsh327

Bun E. can't stand Robin Zander but he'll be playing.

According to Eddie Trunk:

Interviewed Rick I didn't actually hear the interview, but from Eddie's blog just posted he says:
"Rick said the band would be totally fine playing again with Bun E for the induction."
"For CT expect the original band to play and it to be pretty smooth."

Deep Purple is gonna be a shit show, but thats not surprising. They're lucky this is the year Richie is back in rock, so its the best chance they have of him showing up. As for the rest of the band, it was always gonna be bumpy. I like Bolin, but he really added nothing to the legacy. I like Come Taste The Band, but they're honoring the classic members of the band. I get why he's not in there. Same with Steve Morse. I applaud them for continuing with him but he means nothing to the legacy. I'm just happy they got Coverdale and Hughes, which they could have skipped. Thank god they weren't that stupid cause that would have made no sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ha....people calling cheap trick a generic rock band are sad, sad little teenagers.

Generally that's how it goes though. In the public's eye, they are nothing special but within the industry, they are one of the most respected bands there is.

Anyhow, I'm flying out to New York to see them get inducted as well as catching an Ace Frehley show a couple days later.