What's the videogame sound on Shacklers?

This song had recently popped up on my Spotify playlist. Hadn't heard it in ages.

I'm a guitarist, but I can't quite figure out what's causing the videogame sounds in the final chorus. It sounds like an 8-bit NES game.

I'd normally think it's a MIDI arpeggiator, but I know that somehow a guitar is making this sound.

I rather dislike the sound, but I'm just curious as to what's making it, and why.

This song had recently popped up on my Spotify playlist. Hadn't heard it in ages.

I'm a guitarist, but I can't quite figure out what's causing the videogame sounds in the final chorus. It sounds like an 8-bit NES game.

I'd normally think it's a MIDI arpeggiator, but I know that somehow a guitar is making this sound.

I rather dislike the sound, but I'm just curious as to what's making it, and why.

I thought it was either BBF or Bucket doing sweep picking?

Too bad Bucket work was buried in the mix and Axl choose Ron's 8 bit nonsense

Bucket also came up with 8 bit nonsense stuff on his own albums, but i think he is still better than BBF

So standard tapping is 8-bit nonsense now? I'm not in favor of Ron replacing Bucket's work on CD either, but the tapping over the Shackler's chorus is hardly video game sounds. The solo is an abortion though.

Edited by bacardimayne

Originally written by Bumble as well as performed.

Has Bumble performed similar tapping in his solo work? I haven't heard anything like it from him in the past, so I figured it was him doing a Bucket impression (like the main solo) than it being something he inserted on his own

Originally written by Bumble as well as performed.

Has Bumble performed similar tapping in his solo work? I haven't heard anything like it from him in the past, so I figured it was him doing a Bucket impression (like the main solo) than it being something he inserted on his own

He said in one of his video interviews he came up with that tapping part and the main solo. He talked about everything he wrote for Chinese specifically, every song in another interview so that's another source cause the tapping part on Shackler's is mentioned by him in that interview as well.

Also: I have heard Bumble do that kind of tapping in live shows.

And he did not do a Bucket impression for his main Shackler's solo imo. It's all him. Like it or hate it, that's all Bumble. The solo is sheer madness, but now I'm quite fond of it.

It does have direction. Not melodic, spastic, totally out of control (like the song itself and it's theme and mood) but at the same time you can tell he knows what he's doing cause I think the solo represents his style and personality really well.

Shackler's is the song he got the chance to go insane on with the main solo, but then also make it pretty and more energetic with the tapping at the end.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1