What do you think of Axl Rose as a songwriter?

One of the best of all time.

Disagree. In a collaborative effort he can pull his weight but as a sole songwriter, he's not even close.

I somewhat agree, he needs other people to put out an album. But to be fair when it comes to piano ballads he's pretty good at those. And he wrote Dead Horse, One In A Million, November Rain, and Estranged.

Izzy doesn't need anyone.

Edited by Rovim

November Rain and Estranged are the only songs of his I'd consider to be great songs.

That's unfortunate.

Unfortunate for the band of which Axl took complete control and tried to be the sole composer, yes.

Hey, everybody got paid and created great music together, and I have Chinese to listen to.

I just meant that you have way less songs to enjoy, so it must suck is all. As a Guns fan, or former Guns fan, or old Guns fan.

Edited by Rovim

November Rain and Estranged are the only songs of his I'd consider to be great songs.

That's unfortunate.

Unfortunate for the band of which Axl took complete control and tried to be the sole composer, yes.

Hey, everybody got paid and created great music together, and I have Chinese to listen to.

I just meant that you have way less songs to enjoy, so it must suck is all. As a Guns fan, or former Guns fan, or old Guns fan.

I enjoy plenty, just not the whiny songs, bland rockers and messy wannabe epics that is CD.

I enjoy plenty, just not the whiny songs, bland rockers and messy wannabe epics that is CD.

Yet you think November Rain and Estranged are great songs. Not whiny at all when he's talking to himself and there's nobody home.

Edited by Rovim

Yet you think November Rain and Estranged are great songs. Not whiny at all when he's talking to himself and there's nobody home.

The difference is those songs have depth and complexity. This I love and Prostitute? Apples to carrots.

He's one of the greats. That's part of why we are here, right?

But if I were to have a criticism, is that sometimes its best to stop tweaking and toying with things and just let them be.

2002 versions of some of the songs sounded better than what ended up released. Older versions of some of the leaks sounded better than the end product.

I think Axl is a truly great melody and lyric writer. I'd put up 'This I Love' against any musical number from Rodgers & Hammerstein or Sondheim.

Songs like Sweet Child and Jungle are perfect. Songs like Coma and Locomotive have great moments but are a little too wordy for me. I prefer simplicity.

Slash is also a great melodist. That is why they were so great together, their melodic sensibilities really complimented each other.

That's unfortunate.

I always thought that was a dick move to not give Slash writing credits on those songs considering his guitar melodies are my fav parts.

I prefer bands that stay pure and just credit everything to the core members like U2 or the Doors. Once you start coming up with percentages then thats where things fall apart and everyone gets resentful.

I think Axl is a truly great melody and lyric writer. I'd put up 'This I Love' against any musical number from Rodgers & Hammerstein or Sondheim.

Songs like Sweet Child and Jungle are perfect. Songs like Coma and Locomotive have great moments but are a little too wordy for me. I prefer simplicity.

Slash is also a great melodist. That is why they were so great together, their melodic sensibilities really complimented each other.

That's unfortunate.

I always thought that was a dick move to not give Slash writing credits on those songs considering his guitar melodies are my fav parts.

I prefer bands that stay pure and just credit everything to the core members like U2 or the Doors. Once you start coming up with percentages then thats where things fall apart and everyone gets resentful.

Yea. Once they start dividing credits, everyone starts a war over their songs versus another. Too much ego and greed gets involved.

That's unfortunate.

Innuendo era Queen. Divided everything amicably.

Not Locomotive or Coma?

It's funny that the songs you mentioned plus the songs I mentioned are basically Axl and Slash only. You take away one of them and they absolutely decrease in quality. I don't know, indirectly, maybe, they knew they complimented each other perfectly, even if they hated each other's guts at some point.

Not Locomotive or Coma?

It's funny that the songs you mentioned plus the songs I mentioned are basically Axl and Slash only. You take away one of them and they absolutely decrease in quality. I don't know, indirectly, maybe, they knew they complimented each other perfectly, even if they hated each other's guts at some point.

We're talking about Axl songs, not group collaborations or Slash songs.

Someone called Axl up there with the best and as a sole composer, no way.

Edited by Rustycage

Not Locomotive or Coma?

We're talking about Axl songs, not group collaborations or Slash songs.

Someone called Axl up there with the best and as a sole composer, no way.

I was talking about Axl's lyrics in the first line of my post. I guess I was wrong in assuming "songwriting" is lyrics only. My bad.

Not Locomotive or Coma?

agreed

There is not a 'great' songwriter with a discography as paltry and minuscule as W. Axl Rose - that is just a pure fact. All of the 'great songwriters' of popular music - Dylan, Wilson, Lennon-McCartney, Jagger-Richards, Chuck Berry, etc. - had an extensive oeuvre by Axl's age. Axl is now 53 years old and has a grand total of five original studio albums and one covers album to his credit. At a similar age Neil Young had twenty-five and Dylan twenty-nine studio albums! Heck, Lennon only lived up until 40 years of age and produced twenty-two albums during his life time; in other words, despite the intervention of Mark Chapman, John Lennon had produced around four times more albums than Axl has, thirteen years earlier in Axl's life span!

If you analyse all of the 'greats' it is a similar story.

And what may his defenders reply to this, ''artists of Axl's era release albums at a slower rate'', ''the compact disc holds more music than the vinyl long player''? Well these arguments can easily be defeated by merely analysing Axl's contemporaries. Chris Cornell is now on his tenth record. Hetfield/Ulrich, often accused of being notorious plodders themselves, have still produced nine albums for Metallica - nearly twice more than Axl. Bon Jovi are on their thirteen, Pearl Jam their tenth, Megadeth their fifteenth studio albums - it is a similar tale when you look at every act.

There are songwriters and acts which have had their entire career, birth and dissolution, within W. Axl Rose/Guns N' Roses's period of activity, and have still produced many more albums than Axl. Oasis produced seven original compact discs, two more than Axl, between 1994 and 2008 - a shortened time span within Axl's period of so called 'activity' (and that is robbing Oasis of their extensive b-sides, some of which appear on The Masterplan); focusing on their chief songwriter, Noel Gallagher, specifically, that era extends up until the present day and increases by two more albums! Noel Gallagher, despite lacking circa eight years of activity that Axl has possessed (I am arriving at this date by analysing the release of their respective debut long players) has produced nine original studio albums, nearly twice as many as Axl!

And what of Axl's former band mates? Including their Guns' (and Velvet Revolver when applicable) albums, Slash has produced eleven, Stradlin fifteen, McKagan sixteen, Gilby twelve, original album appearances - granted McKagan was not always the songwriter on some of those.

I get chills during the ending lyrics to Coma (especially after hearing the story of how he wrote that part)

I LOVE the reference to the classic AFD track during that verse:

"It's so easy" to be social

"It's so easy" to be cool

What is the story?

Axl had a difficult time thinking exactly how to do the song and the ending part just came out in a few hours one day. His overdose on drugs helped shape the tone of the lyrics. here are some quotes from Axl about it:

"I tried to write that song for a year, and couldn't. I went to write it at the studio and passed out. I woke up two hours later and sat down and wrote the whole end of the song, like, just off the top of my head. It was like, don't even know what's coming out, man, but it's coming. I think one of the best things that I've ever written was maybe the end segment of the song "Coma." It just poured out."

This is definately one of GnR's heaviest songs, perhaps even the heaviest. Axl really hated Slash for writing this music (Slash wrote the music, Axl wrote the lyrics), cause it was hard to write lyrics to this music.

^^^^ I don't have a source for these quotes but I've seen these remarks from Axl and this story passed around the internet quite a bit

You can find the source here together with other quotes:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t100-coma#118

• Like 1