Is the CD-era over?

I don't know what the plans are but, I can't see Axl folding on the CD era band 100%. Regardless of mending bridges he won't simply turn his back on 10/15 yrs of work and what he considers releasable material. I want to hear it, I also would love to see a reunion. I'd prefer new music at this stage though, whatever line releases it? Don't really mind.

If anyone wants to bet that Axl will never release the so-called Chinese Democracy II, I'm taking bets - starting from $1000. Serious people only.

I'll do it. Now I don't think CD2 will be released in the exact same form as it is now. I believe that some songs may get new solos by Slash or some other new guitarist.... Most likely Slash though. I also believe that they might record some brand new songs for the album. But with 99% certainity I'd say that songs like The General will be released. So yeah, I'm willing to bet S1000, and this is a serious bet.

You really think that Axl's never gonna release the songs he's been working on all these years? Wanna bet?

Do you actually think that Slash or Duff would go, "Nooo, we're not joining GNR if you're gonna release the songs you've written".

Of course the songs will be released, so in that sense the era isn't over. But of course it depends on how you define CD era. CD1 era is obviously over. CD2 era is up next with input from Slash and Duff most likely.

Of course you don't really know... that.

I think he'll at least attempt to release it. Maybe next year, maybe in 2020. Maybe never. But don't say that.

I don't know it with 100% certainity. But it is a very high probability that he will release the stuff.

Nothing in life is 100% certain, but I said "of course the songs will be released" because it is very very likely going to happen.

Edited by Lies They Tell

I don't know it with 100% certainity. But it is a very high probability that he will release the stuff.

Nothing in life is 100% certain, but I said "of course the songs will be released" because it is very very likely going to happen.

Not a good idea to try and predict when Axl will do shit.

My prediciton is CD ll is going to be released in 2016. End of November, on a tuesday.

Edited by Rovim

Not a good idea to try and predict when Axl will do shit.

My prediciton is CD ll is going to be released in 2016. End of November, on a tuesday.

Who said anything about when? All I said was that he's going to release those songs. (At least many of them) But I don't know when.

It's very unlikely Axl will return from retirement to release 15+ years old songs nobody cares about (including Axl himself).

He didn't retire. The tour ended. To clarify things he said he's not going anywhere and he said hopefully still got a few good years left.

And he said he always viewed Chinese as double. I believe he cares a lot about getting the second half of it released at some point in his time.

Who said anything about when? All I said was that he's going to release those songs. (At least many of them) But I don't know when.

You also don't know if it will ever be released. We don't know. It's probably been "done" for 15 years now.

Edited by Rovim

If anyone wants to bet that Axl will never release the so-called Chinese Democracy II, I'm taking bets - starting from $1000. Serious people only.

I'll do it. Now I don't think CD2 will be released in the exact same form as it is now. I believe that some songs may get new solos by Slash or some other new guitarist.... Most likely Slash though. I also believe that they might record some brand new songs for the album. But with 99% certainity I'd say that songs like The General will be released. So yeah, I'm willing to bet S1000, and this is a serious bet.

You're willing to bet that CD2 will have Slash's solos in it? If we come to an understanding where our terms are met, I have no problem accepting your bet. I'm basically saying that a follow-up to Chinese Democracy will never be released, but I guess we can get the specifics later.

You're willing to bet that CD2 will have Slash's solos on it? If we get to an understanding where our terms are met, I have no problem accepting your bet. I'm basically saying that a follow-up to Chinese Democracy will never be released, but I guess we can get the specifics later.

Yeah, I'm willing to be more specific. I'm NOT betting that CD2 will have Slash's solos on it. I'm not even certain that any reunion is going to happen even if it sounds likely at this point.

But I DO bet that new songs from this so called Chinese Democracy era will be released. That means songs like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soulmonster, Thyme etc... Not necessarily all of them will be released. Some of them might have different names when they're released. But nevertheless some of them will be released in some form or another. They might have Slash's solos, or they might not. I don't know. But I bet that at least some of them will be released. Axl might die tomorrow, so I don't know if they will be released in his lifetime. But I bet that some of those songs will be released within the next 50 years.

Now I'd like to know how you define the follow up to Chinese Democracy. Is it enough if the album has even one new song from the CD era, or where goes the limit?

I don't really care who is on the next album

Just wish Axl would share his music with his millions of fans.

Release CD2 in time for Christmas.

Then release a reunion album next summer and tour the world.

Two Axl Rose albums in the next year and I will retire from GnR forums.

You also don't know if it will ever be released. We don't know. It's probably been "done" for 15 years now.

Yeah, I already said that I don't know it with 100% certainty. But like I said it is very very likely in my opinion, so I might as well say that of course the songs will be released. Don't be a nitpicker.

He didn't retire. The tour ended. To clarify things he said he's not going anywhere and he said hopefully still got a few good years left.

And he said he always viewed Chinese as double. I believe he cares a lot about getting the second half of it released at some point in his time.

I'm pretty sure he mentioned a trilogy of albums or whatever before changing his speech to viewing CD as a double. So it's not always like you keep saying.

You have to be a fool to believe in whatever Axl says. He's been lying (aka believing in his own truth, living in Axl's world, lol) for decades now, always playing the victim, always blaming others, never himself. If you want to believe in the words of such person, fine. But you're being a fool. It's like believing in a 7 years old kid.

If he cared so much about CD2, he would try to release it in every way possible, he would fight for it, he would try to keep the band that recorded it together, he would leave his comfort zone to make it happen.

He cares about himself, not about very old songs which I doubt he has laid vocals to. For all we know, The Genelol and Instrumental 56 might be at the same stage of production.

When you read his interviews, you can see that making music is almost like torture for him, he hates it, he has no fun doing what he does.

I think when Axl said he wasn't going anywhere he was speaking about his carreer. That would be his first honest moment in decades.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure he mentioned a trilogy of albums or whatever before changing his speech to viewing CD as a double. So it's not always like you keep saying.

Always since he finished it after Bumble recorded his guitars for 30 tracks including what got released. I think as the years passed, he just changed his mind about the songs that were truly Chinese.

Edited by Rovim

First it was a 'trilogy',

"If Mr. Rose appeared more remote, his vision of the project became more grandiose, people involved with the band said. [...] He now spoke of releasing not merely one album but a trilogy. And he planned one very big surprise." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

the plan is to drop the record, have a bunch of extra tracks, about a year or so down the road drop another record and drop a third record. This is a three-stage thing and we'll be touring for a real long time."

"One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so... it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. [...] [Axl] goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" (Baz, Metal Edge, 11/06/07)

Then a 'double',

Axl: "For now, we'll concentrate and keep our focus on this album, but I will say I've always thought of it as a double. (Dexter chats)

Axl pulls this stuff out of his arse.

Edited by DieselDaisy

First it was a 'trilogy',

"If Mr. Rose appeared more remote, his vision of the project became more grandiose, people involved with the band said. [...] He now spoke of releasing not merely one album but a trilogy. And he planned one very big surprise." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

the plan is to drop the record, have a bunch of extra tracks, about a year or so down the road drop another record and drop a third record. This is a three-stage thing and we'll be touring for a real long time."

"One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so... it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. [...] [Axl] goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" (Baz, Metal Edge, 11/06/07)

Then a 'double',

Axl: "For now, we'll concentrate and keep our focus on this album, but I will say I've always thought of it as a double. (Dexter chats)

Axl pulls this stuff out of his arse.

Or maybe with all that time, money, musicians and a healthy appetite for tinkering he reconsidered which songs made the cut.

Given that we know Axl was recording vocals until at least 2007-2010 for Chinese era songs, and most of what was on CD was pre-2006, I really hope CD2 comes out in some form eventually. My worry would be if there's some kind of reunion album, Axl would just use the lyrics he'd already written for CD era songs and they'd be wasted; he admitted the lyrics to CD took a long time and copy/paste is really his style...

Anyway, unless he actually calls the next album CD2, the CD era is definitely over and has been since 2008-9.

Anyway, unless he actually calls the next album CD2, the CD era is definitely over and has been since 2008-9.

He said it's not going to be called "CD ll". The name doesn't change the music.

If the root of a song is CD-era but none of the musicians from that era are on the song, I would say it's just Axl bringing in his ideas to the table but it's no longer gonna be a Chinese era song.

If there is no reunion I think it will take Axl a while to put a band back together and even if he does without new music created by that band it will be more "Milk the GNR name cow" tours.

There really is no incentive for Axl to put out any more ChiDem stuff as he makes his money from touring so I can't see him not touring again.

I am guessing he makes enough from his owner ship of the GnR name to not have to ever work again but I would be surprised if we don't not see GnR tour again in some shgape or form even if there is no reunion.

Hopefully he will release the ChiDem sessions in a massive collector box set. The Cult did this with two multidisc sets of demos year back and both sold out. I love those Cult box sets and I think there is a market for something like that for the ChiDem stuff so hopefully Axl opens the vaults someday.

He said it's not going to be called "CD ll". The name doesn't change the music.

If the root of a song is CD-era but none of the musicians from that era are on the song, I would say it's just Axl bringing in his ideas to the table but it's no longer gonna be a Chinese era song.

Axl said it's the same players that were on Chinese when he talked about the unreleased material. Since then, a lot has changed, 3 members left and there is a Duff and Slash situation.

I have no idea what Axl will do next, but honestly I trust him to only release an album that represents where he's at artistically. He tinkers his way to the present, he has no problem of adding the newly hired guitar player to an already finished album like he did with Chinese and Bumble.

So he added Bumble, but won't add Slash if they're friends again and Slash is interested?

Problem is he's very unpredictable and he has many options at his disposal. Nothing is set in stone cause he never gave a release date. Just said CD ll was done for a while now.

Edited by Rovim