Is the CD-era over?

It was over when Bucket and Robin were gone.

Maybe so, but Axl said Robin's work was done for the project when he left for good, and Bucket as you know doesn't need a lot of time if at all to come up with some good shit.

It was over when Slash left. The band never recovered commercially. Still rich as fuck with total control. Seems happy.

It's likely Axl has a lot of material recorded in his vault. There was never a chance for Axl to have an Ozzy like career, cause he waited too damn long anyway.

Good news is that people still come to see basically just him and he still have the freedom to do some cool things with Guns. And I do mean releasing albums that are done for 15 years now and let Slash and Duff back in to end it when it's time on a high note.

Guns can still be regarded as one of the best bands that ever existed, but there will natually be a separation between the different incarnations.

If CD ll is as good as Chinese was, and he manages to release it soon and then create a reunion album that is not pathetic and sucks, it will take away some of that bitter taste of what could have been. At least that.

7 great albums, 2 of those Chinese, I'll be pleased with all the songs performed live it will be great.

All a fantasy of course. If people ask what the fuck you have AFD as an excuse, and as the legacy. No matter what Axl does, no matter how badly he handles shit, the cool thing about having a masterpiece on your catalog is that it will never become a joke. That's just based on the strength of Appetite alone.

Edited by Rovim

i don't understand how anyone who loved gnr back in the day could ever love CD as well

That's a silly thing to say. Why? Musical tastes vary and can include a wide variety of genres and influences. Plus, Axl's voice is the constant.

i don't think its silly at all - the whole push and pull - swing of gnr is absent on CD, axl by himself is not GNR at all music wise

anyways tired of beating a dead horse

CD took too long to hit the shelves. With no music video's, almost zero radio play, CD failed at that level. Since CD was billed by many as the *new* GN'R (cover-band GN'R to many) CD was over the moment Buckethead, Robin, and Brain were out, as they were the biggest part of *new* GN'R. The moment Ron, Frank, Dj showed up, Axl's band became total cover band, and it almost seemed like Axl would tour with anyone willing to learn the songs. Axl appeared to have a ton of energy when they did the MTV medley, which seemed to diminish once the album finally dropped.

• Like 1

CD took too long to hit the shelves. With no music video's, almost zero radio play, CD failed at that level. Since CD was billed by many as the *new* GN'R (cover-band GN'R to many) CD was over the moment Buckethead, Robin, and Brain were out, as they were the biggest part of *new* GN'R. The moment Ron, Frank, Dj showed up, Axl's band became total cover band, and it almost seemed like Axl would tour with anyone willing to learn the songs. Axl appeared to have a ton of energy when they did the MTV medley, which seemed to diminish once the album finally dropped.

agreed the era lasted all but 2 months post MTV - the rest was just an embarrassing crack at GNR progressive legitimacy

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

i don't understand how anyone who loved gnr back in the day could ever love CD as well

That's because of personal taste. That ugly girl you would never date has a boyfriend, who loves her. You know what I'm saying?

For me Chinese Democracy is an excrement of the worst kind, even if I don't consider it to be a Guns N' Roses album, but hey, if people genuinely love it, that's on them. Let them enjoy what they want.

• Like 1

That's a silly thing to say. Why? Musical tastes vary and can include a wide variety of genres and influences. Plus, Axl's voice is the constant.

i don't think its silly at all - the whole push and pull - swing of gnr is absent on CD, axl by himself is not GNR at all music wise

Because many people are able to like a lot of different music?

There is some things missing from CD. But there are some things that are the same. And you could say that it's the stuff that's present makes it GNR.

You could break it down to a mixing pot of styles, rockers with punk energy, mid temp ballads and emotional epics. With Axl singing, his vocal melodies and lyrics that's GNR.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Its not Axl by himself.

Just doesn't make sense to say if you like one thing, you can't possibly like another.

I appreciate every GnR album in its own way. The Illusions were a big leap from AFD, and Chinese was an ever larger leap from the Illusions, but there are great songs amongst all of it.

I get why people can like them all, and I get why people might only like some from certain eras, because it all comes down to personal taste.

• Like 1

I don't think CD II is as focused as CD. From what we've heard about each track it's all over the place. Most of the songs on CD you can do live. I wonder if CD II has a few more orchestral pieces or longer songs which would mean less songs. Could more like a UYI II type album with previously heard stuff, cool filler and a couple of classics (Atlas and The General).

Are they trying to add songs to it so it's stronger? Include Ballad of Death, Better remix, Goin' Down, Fortus/Slash song.

How do you know that Atlas and General are "classics".....have you heard them? They could easily be the Scraped and Chinese Democracy of CD2.

And your last group of songs has to be a joke or sarcasm, right? One Axl Rose album in the past 25 years and you want valuable spots taken by a remix song, a song sang by somebody other than Axl and a guitar solo song?

I don't think CD II is as focused as CD. From what we've heard about each track it's all over the place. Most of the songs on CD you can do live. I wonder if CD II has a few more orchestral pieces or longer songs which would mean less songs. Could more like a UYI II type album with previously heard stuff, cool filler and a couple of classics (Atlas and The General).

Are they trying to add songs to it so it's stronger? Include Ballad of Death, Better remix, Goin' Down, Fortus/Slash song.

How do you know that Atlas and General are "classics".....have you heard them? They could easily be the Scraped and Chinese Democracy of CD2.

And your last group of songs has to be a joke or sarcasm, right? One Axl Rose album in the past 25 years and you want valuable spots taken by a remix song, a song sang by somebody other than Axl and a guitar solo song?

I think it's fairly obvious that many of Wasted's posts are simply for the lulz.

Depends how you define CD-era. Personally I believe that Slash and Duff are returning to GNR and then they'll release CD2. So it's not exactly the end of the CD era.

lol

CD era is over btw

You really think that Axl's never gonna release the songs he's been working on all these years? Wanna bet?

Do you actually think that Slash or Duff would go, "Nooo, we're not joining GNR if you're gonna release the songs you've written".

Of course the songs will be released, so in that sense the era isn't over. But of course it depends on how you define CD era. CD1 era is obviously over. CD2 era is up next with input from Slash and Duff most likely.

1. yes

2. no, because i bet on other things and i basically get my income from betting sports so i don't need your 10 bucks or whatever

3. If Axl let Slash in the band that means he give up on his vision officially. I'm surprised that people exists who think there is a market for CD 2 in the 2010's especially after a reunion with classic members....

4. I don't know if you are this blind or you are just fucking with me :lol:. The NU band is done basically. How come you just don't see that. There's no point releasing the follow up when people just wanna hear the greatest hits. That is why he doesn't release it already. He tried in 2010, but the label rejected it.... Probably that is why he sings like shit since 2011, because he doesn't give a fuck anymore

Seems like Axl wanna do a final cashgrab, but with the proper members for a GH tour. Then he will retire and TB probably release the CD 2 material when he dies. aaaand you will be paying 100 bucks for -average at best- dated songs

and i will laugh so hard

lol

If anyone wants to bet that Axl will never release the so-called Chinese Democracy II, I'm taking bets - starting from $1000. Serious people only.

you are certainly a rich dude

Edited by Strange Broue

I think it's fairly obvious that many of Wasted's posts are simply for the lulz.

It's time to add another rule to the forum, that you must make sense when you post, otherwise spam shitposting will take over.

Depends how you define CD-era. Personally I believe that Slash and Duff are returning to GNR and then they'll release CD2. So it's not exactly the end of the CD era.

lol

CD era is over btw

You really think that Axl's never gonna release the songs he's been working on all these years? Wanna bet?

Do you actually think that Slash or Duff would go, "Nooo, we're not joining GNR if you're gonna release the songs you've written".

Of course the songs will be released, so in that sense the era isn't over. But of course it depends on how you define CD era. CD1 era is obviously over. CD2 era is up next with input from Slash and Duff most likely.

I agree with this. When Axl gets new members doesn't he have them re record the songs with their input. Wishful thinking perhaps but I think thats going on behind the scenes. Once CD 2 is ready with Slash and Duff on or while they are doing it we get a tour announcement and album release.

But CD was Axl's attempt to struggle on. It chronicles all the late 90s fall out. There's hardly any songs about how he's going to take over the world. There's a bit of defiance on Chi dem, Riad or Shacklers but mostly he's trying to rationalize why these people left him. So in a way CD was just about saying we did you leave? Axl didn't want Izzy or Slash or anyone to leave but he had to struggle on in isolation. That's what people don't like about it, it's a bit woe is me, let me rap about my problems and my tragic love life? It's not songs bragging about taking drugs and bitch slapping chicks so Axl is whining. But it was true to what he experience I guess. I understand why he didn't throw out loads of mediocre albums as GNR. He just wanted to put out one or two quality ones.

If he didn't want Slash to leave, why take the name and quit the old band to start a new one with the same name? That's not how you deal with band mates. Shame on Axl for this dick move.

lol

CD era is over btw

1. yes

2. no, because i bet on other things and i basically get my income from betting sports so i don't need your 10 bucks or whatever

I knew you wouldn't bet, just like I'm pretty sure Nosaj Thing wasn't really serious about the bet either. Cause basically you're just trolling. Seems like I'm the only one who's actually confident enough to make a bet about it.

3. If Axl let Slash in the band that means he give up on his vision officially.

Source?

No seriously WTF? My impression of Axl's vision is that he's been trying to find someone who could properly replace Slash, since the day Slash left. If Slash is back in GNR and they've found a way to co-operate again, then all of Axl's problems are pretty much gone. He has the band he has always wanted. If you read some of Axl's interviews, the biggest problem he had with Slash seemed to be that he felt that Slash didn't want to work on the songs. If Slash is now more willing to co-operate, then everything is like Axl always wanted it to be. He has the vision of GNR he always hoped for.

I'm surprised that people exists who think there is a market for CD 2 in the 2010's especially after a reunion with classic members....

There's always market for new music by GNR. ESPECIALLY if Slash is back in the band.

4. There's no point releasing the follow up when people just wanna hear the greatest hits.

Source?

That is why he doesn't release it already. He tried in 2010, but the label rejected it....

Source? Now this rumor I've heard many times. But I'd like to know if there's any other source for the rumor except MSL.

Seems like Axl wanna do a final cashgrab, but with the proper members for a GH tour. Then he will retire and TB probably release the CD2 material when he dies

Source?

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're talking out of your ass pretty much all the time. Nothing that Axl's ever said supports your idea of Axl retiring. Quite the opposite actually. Fort example this quote: "Thank you. It was actually kind of a surprise to me. And I appreciate it and stuff, but, personally, I don’t feel like I’ve done enough of anything to have a lifetime achievement award. But that’s just me. I know other people were really happy for me about it so that was a good thing. I just feel like, you know, it’s been a long, slow process beyond comprehension with Chinese Democracy, but it’s still moving forward and there’s a lot more that we hope to do."

Does that sound like a man who's planning to retire any time soon?

I said it could be. Like Hong Kong Phooey.

It's hypothetical that they use songs from various sources, I used those because they are known. It's a possibility like it or not.

But mainly just the idea that the next record doesn't have this jilted lover dictator hater vibe. Just more random like UYI II, which has previously released, push the envelope further songs, experiments. With maybe a few classics like YCBM, Estranged, Civil War. It could happen.

But CD was Axl's attempt to struggle on. It chronicles all the late 90s fall out. There's hardly any songs about how he's going to take over the world. There's a bit of defiance on Chi dem, Riad or Shacklers but mostly he's trying to rationalize why these people left him. So in a way CD was just about saying we did you leave? Axl didn't want Izzy or Slash or anyone to leave but he had to struggle on in isolation. That's what people don't like about it, it's a bit woe is me, let me rap about my problems and my tragic love life? It's not songs bragging about taking drugs and bitch slapping chicks so Axl is whining. But it was true to what he experience I guess. I understand why he didn't throw out loads of mediocre albums as GNR. He just wanted to put out one or two quality ones.

If he didn't want Slash to leave, why take the name and quit the old band to start a new one with the same name? That's not how you deal with band mates. Shame on Axl for this dick move.
I think he waited long enough. Slash wasn't willing to work with Axl. Axl found Tobias who would and Slash hated him. Slash wanted Gilby. Slash wanted to do Snakepit. No one is blameless but the door was open to Slash and Duff and even Izzy. They have to take some responsibility.

But anyway that is bygones.

But what stands out is why not have Gilby and Tobias back then? Why doesn't someone talk with Slash or Axl, managers earth to Dougie?

How that plays into something today, does a Gilby / Fortus combo with Slash solve everyone's problem. Outside of the AFD line up. They can't capture the Chemistry, Spirit, Engine again imo. So a hybrid illusion tour is the best shot at a reunion.

But then consiider this. CD has 4-6 Axl songs that are GNR worthy. SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar, This I Love at least. Mainly Tobias was working with Axl on these. Maybe Axl has 6 more working with Fortus as the new Tobias. Ok so Slash, Duff come in to some studio sessions. Bring the rockers, add some solos to Axl's songs. Potentially a great self titled GNR album. G side Slash/Duff. R side Axl songs and Izzy maybe.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

I think he waited long enough. Slash wasn't willing to work with Axl. Axl found Tobias who would and Slash hated him. Slash wanted Gilby. Slash wanted to do Snakepit. No one is blameless but the door was open to Slash and Duff and even Izzy. They have to take some responsibility.

But anyway that is bygones.

But what stands out is why not have Gilby and Tobias back then? Why doesn't someone talk with Slash or Axl, managers earth to Dougie?

How that plays into something today, does a Gilby / Fortus combo with Slash solve everyone's problem. Outside of the AFD line up. They can't capture the Chemistry, Spirit, Engine again imo. So a hybrid illusion tour is the best shot at a reunion.

But then consiider this. CD has 4-6 Axl songs that are GNR worthy. SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar, This I Love at least. Mainly Tobias was working with Axl on these. Maybe Axl has 6 more working with Fortus as the new Tobias. Ok so Slash, Duff come in to some studio sessions. Bring the rockers, add some solos to Axl's songs. Potentially a great self titled GNR album. G side Slash/Duff. R side Axl songs and Izzy maybe.

Axl never really wanted to work with Gilby. Doug is a no no as well imo. I want the themes for CD ll to not be altered for the sake of the music. It's supposed to be built around Axl's vocals, lyrics, and vocal melodies.

I think Paul helped Axl to set the tone. Axl wanted to work with Paul and that is exactly what he did, cause Slash didn't want to, and Izzy was gone.

Now that the project is finished, only half of it was released. The sensible thing to do will be to first release the second half, then to work with Slash and Duff on a reunion record and Axl is good at taking a good idea and run with it, and Slash can always improve a good idea. Duff always sees the logic musically. Coupled with his bass lines and sound, sounds more like Guns.

Edited by Rovim

It's time to add another rule to the forum, that you must make sense when you post, otherwise spam shitposting will take over.

Speculation doesn't always make sense. I can dial it back if you want. I'm not trying to be annoying.

But really I don't see the problem. Is the CD era over? And we are talking about material they have. I don't think they have an era defining record they have some strong material which will probably be linked to CD somehow, like UYI II. There might be a 2-3 stronger tracks. So the CD era isn't over, it's just going into over time.

Edited by wasted

I know this is Axltime and he is not going to change but it's just... I can't say sad because we got Chinese which I found real vibrant, it's just a piss poor return on the years since that successful 09/10 post-release tour, he had Bumblefoot and a solid unit to use but he didn't, I know Axl don't have any particular lamentations on that but it's a shame the ax-man has not been able to share more of his thoughts and talents in the new era he fought so hard to create.

the cd era is over- we have all switched to downloadable content. :shades:

seriously, when he handed out the gold records to the crew i think it kinda signaled it was over. i mean he could have given those out a couple yrs earlier if he wanted? right?

we might see some of those songs from the era in the future- reworked- but i doubt it will be dubbed CD2.

come on downzy, you said WHO was on the next record was going to be interesting. left us hanging. :shrugs:

• Like 1