Is the CD-era over?

But CD was Axl's attempt to struggle on. It chronicles all the late 90s fall out. There's hardly any songs about how he's going to take over the world. There's a bit of defiance on Chi dem, Riad or Shacklers but mostly he's trying to rationalize why these people left him. So in a way CD was just about saying we did you leave? Axl didn't want Izzy or Slash or anyone to leave but he had to struggle on in isolation. That's what people don't like about it, it's a bit woe is me, let me rap about my problems and my tragic love life? It's not songs bragging about taking drugs and bitch slapping chicks so Axl is whining. But it was true to what he experience I guess. I understand why he didn't throw out loads of mediocre albums as GNR. He just wanted to put out one or two quality ones.

If he didn't want Slash to leave, why take the name and quit the old band to start a new one with the same name? That's not how you deal with band mates. Shame on Axl for this dick move.
I think he waited long enough. Slash wasn't willing to work with Axl. Axl found Tobias who would and Slash hated him. Slash wanted Gilby. Slash wanted to do Snakepit. No one is blameless but the door was open to Slash and Duff and even Izzy. They have to take some responsibility.

But anyway that is bygones.

But what stands out is why not have Gilby and Tobias back then? Why doesn't someone talk with Slash or Axl, managers earth to Dougie?

How that plays into something today, does a Gilby / Fortus combo with Slash solve everyone's problem. Outside of the AFD line up. They can't capture the Chemistry, Spirit, Engine again imo. So a hybrid illusion tour is the best shot at a reunion.

But then consiider this. CD has 4-6 Axl songs that are GNR worthy. SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar, This I Love at least. Mainly Tobias was working with Axl on these. Maybe Axl has 6 more working with Fortus as the new Tobias. Ok so Slash, Duff come in to some studio sessions. Bring the rockers, add some solos to Axl's songs. Potentially a great self titled GNR album. G side Slash/Duff. R side Axl songs and Izzy maybe.

Axl never really wanted to work with Gilby. Doug is a no no as well imo. I want the themes for CD ll to not be altered for the sake of the music. It's supposed to be built around Axl's vocals, lyrics, and vocal melodies.

I think Paul helped Axl to set the tone. Axl wanted to work with Paul and that is exactly what he did, cause Slash didn't want to, and Izzy was gone.

Now that the project is finished, only half of it was released. The sensible thing to do will be to first release the second half, then to work with Slash and Duff on a reunion record and Axl is good at taking a good idea and run with it, and Slash can always improve a good idea. Duff always sees the logic musically. Coupled with his bass lines and sound, sounds more like Guns.

I guess what I'm saying is that Axl could have worked with Tobias on songs like IRS, TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute and Slash helped out. Even on SOD and TIL. And Slash and Gilby could have done the Snakepit material and Axl sung on it maybe Tobias play some guitar on it. That would be the compromise. Neither Can I, I Hate Everybody But You, there were other good ones. Maybe Axl couldn't go as far as he did with Prostitute but there's a record, if not a clear statement. But Axl didn't want Slash to take over band and Slash didn't want to do Axl ballads, go through that process. Tobias and Gilby are pawns in that.

Definitely agree Axl may have material that could be taken into a reunion record or that Slash might like to work on. he didn't seem that keen on Axl's ballads really though. He's probably happy with 1 or 2 but don't interfere in the rest of it.

On CD there's 6 or 7 songs that you could say would be on a GNR record anyway but then SlashIzzyDuff might replace 7 of those songs on CD.

1. Slash rocker

2. Duff

3. Izzy

4. SOD/The General

5. Twat/Thyme

6. Catcher/Atlas Shrugged

7. Duff

8. Izzy/Down by the Ocean

9. Slash/Fortus

10. IRS/Berlin

11. Madagascar/Seven

12. This I Love/Ides of March

So it's 50/50. Half Axl songs from CD era, then the guys come in with 6/7 new songs. Put Fortus' James Bond theme and a Thin Lizzy cover and it's a wrap on the self titled reunion record.

Edited by wasted

But CD was Axl's attempt to struggle on. It chronicles all the late 90s fall out. There's hardly any songs about how he's going to take over the world. There's a bit of defiance on Chi dem, Riad or Shacklers but mostly he's trying to rationalize why these people left him. So in a way CD was just about saying we did you leave? Axl didn't want Izzy or Slash or anyone to leave but he had to struggle on in isolation. That's what people don't like about it, it's a bit woe is me, let me rap about my problems and my tragic love life? It's not songs bragging about taking drugs and bitch slapping chicks so Axl is whining. But it was true to what he experience I guess. I understand why he didn't throw out loads of mediocre albums as GNR. He just wanted to put out one or two quality ones.

If he didn't want Slash to leave, why take the name and quit the old band to start a new one with the same name? That's not how you deal with band mates. Shame on Axl for this dick move.
I think he waited long enough. Slash wasn't willing to work with Axl. Axl found Tobias who would and Slash hated him. Slash wanted Gilby. Slash wanted to do Snakepit. No one is blameless but the door was open to Slash and Duff and even Izzy. They have to take some responsibility.

But what stands out is why not have Gilby and Tobias back then? Why doesn't someone talk with Slash or Axl, managers earth to Dougie?

How that plays into something today, does a Gilby / Fortus combo with Slash solve everyone's problem. Outside of the AFD line up. They can't capture the Chemistry, Spirit, Engine again imo. So a hybrid illusion tour is the best shot at a reunion.

But then consiider this. CD has 4-6 Axl songs that are GNR worthy. SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Madagascar, This I Love at least. Mainly Tobias was working with Axl on these. Maybe Axl has 6 more working with Fortus as the new Tobias. Ok so Slash, Duff come in to some studio sessions. Bring the rockers, add some solos to Axl's songs. Potentially a great self titled GNR album. G side Slash/Duff. R side Axl songs and Izzy maybe.

Axl never really wanted to work with Gilby. Doug is a no no as well imo. I want the themes for CD ll to not be altered for the sake of the music. It's supposed to be built around Axl's vocals, lyrics, and vocal melodies.

I think Paul helped Axl to set the tone. Axl wanted to work with Paul and that is exactly what he did, cause Slash didn't want to, and Izzy was gone.

Now that the project is finished, only half of it was released. The sensible thing to do will be to first release the second half, then to work with Slash and Duff on a reunion record and Axl is good at taking a good idea and run with it, and Slash can always improve a good idea. Duff always sees the logic musically. Coupled with his bass lines and sound, sounds more like Guns.

I guess what I'm saying is that Axl could have worked with Tobias on songs like IRS, TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute and Slash helped out. Even on SOD and TIL. And Slash and Gilby could have done the Snakepit material and Axl sung on it maybe Tobias play some guitar on it. That would be the compromise. Neither Can I, I Hate Everybody But You, there were other good ones. Maybe Axl couldn't go as far as he did with Prostitute but there's a record, if not a clear statement. But Axl didn't want Slash to take over band and Slash didn't want to do Axl ballads, go through that process. Tobias and Gilby are pawns in that.

Definitely agree Axl may have material that could be taken into a reunion record or that Slash might like to work on. he didn't seem that keen on Axl's ballads really though. He's probably happy with 1 or 2 but don't interfere in the rest of it.

On CD there's 6 or 7 songs that you could say would be on a GNR record anyway but then SlashIzzyDuff might replace 7 of those songs on CD.

1. Slash rocker

2. Duff

3. Izzy

4. SOD/The General

5. Twat/Thyme

7. Duff

9. Slash/Fortus

10. IRS/Berlin

11. Madagascar/Seven

So it's 50/50. Half Axl songs from CD era, then the guys come in with 6/7 new songs. Put Fortus' James Bond theme and a Thin Lizzy cover and it's a wrap on the self titled reunion record.

Needs some James Patrick Page.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess we'll have to wait and see (we're pretty accustomed to that by now :P ). If a reunion is in fact on it's way, there's no point in releasing a guns record that doesn't include the reunited band; it's not going to do well.

If the reunion talk is just talk, then I can see a new album eventually arriving, but I don't know if 2016 is the year; I have my doubts. Unless its already finished and they're ironing out details with labels, fixing mixes etc. I can't see anything happening 'til this time next year at best. And that argument seems to be strengthened by the numerous nuGuns interviews, where the band have no idea about - when the album will appear, what songs are selected; and just about any detail (no matter how minute) that would suggest an album nearing its release.

I want to hear the 2nd part of CD, and I know I'm not alone on that. I think there's probably a good few songs on that record that I'm going to love (if released), But I'm also guilty like the rest of you for being excited by the reunion talk. I'm also happy if the current band continues with new guitarists etc. and releases a new album. If that means a delayed reunion, or no reunion I'm OK with that. I'd actually prefer for Guns (in whatever incarnation) to just make and release new music. I liked where CD left off, so I'm obviously interested to see what the next would sound like.

1. Slash rocker

2. Duff

3. Izzy

4. SOD/The General

5. Twat/Thyme

7. Duff

9. Slash/Fortus

10. IRS/Berlin

11. Madagascar/Seven

Ides Of March, Seven, Berlin, Thyme, Atlas Shrugged, The General, Down By The Ocean - all of these songs I see people throw about, and has anyone here actually heard any of them? I certainly hope so, because there's strong opinions on each of these having a place on the next record. They might be great, they might be discarded in favour of other songs; any number of things could be true.

I just don't understand why we talk about them like we know them, when we (9/10 of us) have definitely not heard them. I say 9/10 to give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

I was born in 87, got turned onto AFD sometimes before the VMA 2002 thing, because I know I was really excited for the new GNR that night.

My only GNR show I've seen was 2006, no Bucket, but Finck and Bumble. I was happy I got to hear Axl sing the classics, though I considered Velvet Revolver the superior concert experience. Leading up to 2008, I followed the pre-CD rumor mill. Rumors, leaks, demos - I love that shit.

To me the CD era is: Vegas/Rock in Rio 2001 shows, MTV VMAs, 2002 tour, the 2006-2007 tours, a platinum album, more touring (2009-2012), Vegas residencies (2012, 2014) - that's really impressive for one commercial release of 14 songs.

If Axl closes the book on Chinese Democracy, you can't say it's premature.

I was born in 87, got turned onto AFD sometimes before the VMA 2002 thing, because I know I was really excited for the new GNR that night.

My only GNR show I've seen was 2006, no Bucket, but Finck and Bumble. I was happy I got to hear Axl sing the classics, though I considered Velvet Revolver the superior concert experience. Leading up to 2008, I followed the pre-CD rumor mill. Rumors, leaks, demos - I love that shit.

To me the CD era is: Vegas/Rock in Rio 2001 shows, MTV VMAs, 2002 tour, the 2006-2007 tours, a platinum album, more touring (2009-2012), Vegas residencies (2012, 2014) - that's really impressive for one commercial release of 14 songs.

If Axl closes the book on Chinese Democracy, you can't say it's premature.

Great post! I also like the idea of that whole era revolving around just one singular album. I think Axl eventually realized that too, hence why he gave everyone a gold copy of it after Vegas 2014. It was like his way of reminding them all "here's what we did. Good work"

It was over when the album didnt come out in '06.

That was the start of my fanboy downfall.

The final nail in my coffin was that dark, dark day when it was announced that DJ Ashba was replacing Robin.

I still remember where I was and the horror that ensued.

#istandwithrobin #neverforget #demented #improbablyabully

• Like 3

It was over when the album didnt come out in '06.

That was the start of my fanboy downfall.

The final nail in my coffin was that dark, dark day when it was announced that DJ Ashba was replacing Robin.

I still remember where I was and the horror that ensued.

#istandwithrobin #neverforget #demented #improbablyabully

They just had all the momentum in '06. The leaks. The surprise NYC gigs, the festivals in Europe, Axl at VMAs and all the press he was doing. Plus all the socializing at parties. His face was everywhere that year and people genuinely wanted the album. Then we had to wait two more years and when it finally it did come out it was just like bleh, this shoulda been out two years ago. The hype wasnt really there like it was in '06. Then they waited a full year to even tour the thing. Just ridiculous. Edited by ChineseIRS
  • Like 2

The only reason...to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and DJ Ashba.

Between these "efforts" and all the seriously thinking about all the future releases or whatever when does this poor guy find time to sleep?? :mellow:

Seriously though- maybe some sort of ten year anniversary Chinese Democracy deluxe box set will have all these supposed songs which have been done and ready to go for ages (and cheer up- CD's 10th anny is only 3 years from Monday! :))

the CD era will never end Axl Rose is a fat lazy wash up who won't ever get his arse in gear to tour again

This. Axl's retired. His farewell to the world was a nostalgic DVD recorded in Las Vegas featuring DJ Ashba. Axl's band ended in a very very sad way.

It's only just begun, we haven't seen Slash play the opening riff of CD yet, then when Slash jumps ship again we'll see Paul Huge cause he might be bald or something now and it'll be some good controversy and they'll play Sympathy, we need all the incarnations of seeing them play that setlist goddamn it, then Buckethead will come back and Izzy will be in so we'll get a new combination, it's like musical chairs but you don't get a prize, the prize is in the privilege of waiting for the next record.

I don't know if it's over because only Axl knows that and as stubborn as that man is, we would never know. However, if it is, I'm happy it is finally over. Terrible era for my favorite band. Axl failed with his vision which turned out to be nothing but a sad, pathetic joke.

• Like 1