Which "Yesterdays" do you prefer?

Yesterdays

vs.

Yesterdaze

I'm honestly just curious to see what people think. I'm not sure I've ever seen a topic where they've been directly compared.

I have a strong affinity for the final studio cut, but man, the acoustic version is killer. That, coupled with the acoustic November Rain, gives me a tantalizing idea of what a stripped-down Illusions may have sounded like.

I agree that a more raw sounding Use Your Illusion probably coulda been cool, but we got worked out pretty well too.

Hard for me to pick which Yesterdays I like better. It's like apples and oranges, really. Tho I guess at the moment Id go with the acoustic demo since I've listened to it less often and it therefore sounds a bit more fresh to me.

There's also a really cool live version from 1988 that sounds even more different drom both of those

I love the version of Yesterdays from the UYI Q Sound and Rough Mix Tracks. They are closer to the album version but have a raw stripped down feel to them. Does anybody have the DEMO from the OP that they can share. I like it

Yesterdays Q Sound HERE

Yesterdays Rough Mix HERE

Edited by illusionone

Album version was done very well. I love how the live version has more of that raw rasp where the album is much cleaner. I think they contrast well.

When Axl did the Hartline interview in 91 or whatever the radio guy mentions a Beatle influence to the song and Axl tells him that it wasn't the intention but now that he points it out he can hear it. I just think it's a great tune to listen to, I never change it if it pops up on my playlist.

Yesterdays

vs.

Yesterdaze

I'm honestly just curious to see what people think. I'm not sure I've ever seen a topic where they've been directly compared.

I have a strong affinity for the final studio cut, but man, the acoustic version is killer. That, coupled with the acoustic November Rain, gives me a tantalizing idea of what a stripped-down Illusions may have sounded like.

great topic homes

the acoustic demo is almost 100 times better only for its pure rawness, however the studio recording stands the test of time and is truly a gnr gem....i personally will take any version of yesterdays solely because it brings me the best memories of the band, the time and the video most importantly, in my opinion, is the best one and most importantly the most poignant of them all, other than patience, where we see axl, the band embracing their past and just keeping it simple

yesterdays is truly a GNR ballad and one that if played in a gathering really yields big points due to the scarcity in which it is played

Dizzy has his benefits.

lol
You know piano has been a major part of rock music since its inception right? Just because your favorite Nobody puts baby in a corner album doesn't have it doesn't mean it's bad.
Uh yeah. Guns N' Roses has a pianist. His name is Axl Rose.
  • Like 1

Dizzy has his benefits.

lol
You know piano has been a major part of rock music since its inception right? Just because your favorite Nobody puts baby in a corner album doesn't have it doesn't mean it's bad.
Uh yeah. Guns N' Roses has a pianist. His name is Axl Rose.

So you want Axl, the frontman who's supposed to be getting the crowd going, sat at the keys for every song that has a piano track?

Edited by bacardimayne

Yesterdays

vs.

Yesterdaze

The version which didn't contain drum machines

It's really hard to compare rough unfinished low quality versions of the song with a studio version those other versions Ive always found interesting though but I still prefer the studio version which Ive always found to be a perfect example of a short and sweet song.

I'm always interested in hearing different takes on GNR songs most notably I always wonder about acoustic versions including a lot of Chinese songs in this.

It has been a while since I listened to Live Era and yeah that Yesterdays is sweet lol

and would now be a highlight of a reunion tour with the photos from the video displayed behind the band.

Cheesy as fuck.

Agreed. Instead I would have the entire Celebrity Deathmatch segment on the big screen in slow motion.

• Like 1