Will the world forgive Axl if he doesn't do the reunion?

Without the reunion Axl will always be known as the loser who ruined Guns n Roses. That's just a fact. That's the perception at large and it would be hilarious to see anyone try to argue otherwise. If they reunite and put out a good album he may be given some reprieve but honestly hiss legacy is intact as a wicked frontman who became a joke of his former self and a douchebag who ruined Guns n Roses.

Don't forget that everyone wrote him off in the early 00s, he was a chub then too. He comes back in 06 and everybody has forgot about the poor 02 tour / VMAs and the paunch. If he comes back (even with the current incarnation) looking and sounding good, with a decent album people will be happy to see him, and they will continue to go to the shows.

Ummm... NO not everyone forgot. The hardocre fans may have forgave but the public perception at large was still he had turned into a douche who ruined GnR and was a shell of himself. Two of the shows I went to in 2006 were awful and he did more to hurt his rep among friends I went with than erase what people had come to think. He came out in 2006 and put out an album only 2 years later. Nobody wants or cares about Slashless Axl Rose so.....

Facts are, most people don't care who's in the band, they only care now because there's a huge spotlight on Gnr and a global boner for classic guns. In 2006-2014 people went to see gnr and most agreed that it was a damn good show.

What you just said there makes no sense - if they didn't care whose in the band why would the reunion hold such excitement??

People do care whose in the band, when GNR come back to Dublin as a reunited group they will be in the Aviva not the 3 Arena.

Reason? Those who chose not to attend the previous shows are going to see the old guys back together on stage.

Also, I was at the Dublin '06 show and what I saw was a competent corporate machine that had about 10% of the charisma and raw rock n roll swagger of the original band who I was lucky enough to see.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1

I'm the perfect listener for CD. Like GNR, like 90s alt rock.

CD is like a 90s mixtape. Nirvana playing Welcome to the Jungle. CD puts elements of bands like Nirvana, Korn, RATM, NIN, Prodigy, AIC and mixes in Elton, Queen, Zepp, Stones, Beatles. Adding in some of the rage and vocals of Axl and it's hard for me not to like it. It's like a bit of everything I like on one record. I don't need all those records I just need CD.

Whether it should be a GNR album I don't know. That's not really my problem. They got loads of cash and did a shit load of drinking and drugs and fucking and they couldn't stay together.

People make too big a deal about the name. It's just a business reality. Once they got the advance and started making it I can't see a way to pull out. By 2000 they'd spent 10 mil re-recording. The intial 4 mil not sure where that went. there was no way back other than bankruptcy.

One of the negatives about CD is that it's all about the feud and break ups. That makes it a clear statement but it's kind of a downer. It does seem like the next part of the story after UYI. It's a bit darker and more paranoid.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

I'm the perfect listener for CD. Like GNR, like 90s alt rock.

CD is like a 90s mixtape. Nirvana playing Welcome to the Jungle. CD puts elements of bands like Nirvana, Korn, RATM, NIN, Prodigy, AIC and mixes in Elton, Queen, Zepp, Stones, Beatles. Adding in some of the rage and vocals of Axl and it's hard for me not to like it. It's like a bit of everything I like on one record. I don't need all those records I just need CD.

Whether it should be a GNR album I don't know. That's not really my problem. They got loads of cash and did a shit load of drinking and drugs and fucking and they couldn't stay together.

People make too big a deal about the name. It's just a business reality. Once they got the advance and started making it I can't see a way to pull out. By 2000 they'd spent 10 mil re-recording. The intial 4 mil not sure where that went. there was no way back other than bankruptcy.

One of the negatives about CD is that it's all about the feud and break ups. That makes it a clear statement but it's kind of a downer. It does seem like the next part of the story after UYI. It's a bit darker and more paranoid.

Spam shitposting like there's no tomorrow.

• Like 1

Without the reunion Axl will always be known as the loser who ruined Guns n Roses. That's just a fact. That's the perception at large and it would be hilarious to see anyone try to argue otherwise. If they reunite and put out a good album he may be given some reprieve but honestly hiss legacy is intact as a wicked frontman who became a joke of his former self and a douchebag who ruined Guns n Roses.

Don't forget that everyone wrote him off in the early 00s, he was a chub then too. He comes back in 06 and everybody has forgot about the poor 02 tour / VMAs and the paunch. If he comes back (even with the current incarnation) looking and sounding good, with a decent album people will be happy to see him, and they will continue to go to the shows.

Ummm... NO not everyone forgot. The hardocre fans may have forgave but the public perception at large was still he had turned into a douche who ruined GnR and was a shell of himself. Two of the shows I went to in 2006 were awful and he did more to hurt his rep among friends I went with than erase what people had come to think. He came out in 2006 and put out an album only 2 years later. Nobody wants or cares about Slashless Axl Rose so.....

Sorry Bono, but you're wrong. People care and are happy to support a Slashless gnr. Proven each time Guns roll around the world and sell a boat load of tickets. It's also proven when Axl is spotted out and about and it becomes global music news... wow! Axl is shopping or at a club... if nobody cared, the media wouldn't cover it.

Facts are, most people don't care who's in the band, they only care now because there's a huge spotlight on Gnr and a global boner for classic guns. In 2006-2014 people went to see gnr and most agreed that it was a damn good show.

I saw guns in 2006, friends that came with me who weren't even big fans left convinced about the new band (dublin 06)... so weigh that up against your experience and you can see that not everybody is gonna walk away with the same feelings. They still think he's a nut job, and an asshole but they know he puts on a good show.

Haha! Gotta love those who are lost in the confines of the online GnR bubble. You are so out of touch man it's actually scary. You say nobody cares who's in the band yet follow it up immediately by saying the world has a boner for classic Guns. You can't even get your own thoughts straight on the subject. FACT is I'm right and there is no ifs ands or buts about that when it comes to this. You're completely blinded by Axl fandom.

Sorry Bono, but you're wrong. People care and are happy to support a Slashless gnr. Proven each time Guns roll around the world and sell a boat load of tickets. It's also proven when Axl is spotted out and about and it becomes global music news... wow! Axl is shopping or at a club... if nobody cared, the media wouldn't cover it.

I saw guns in 2006, friends that came with me who weren't even big fans left convinced about the new band (dublin 06)... so weigh that up against your experience and you can see that not everybody is gonna walk away with the same feelings. They still think he's a nut job, and an asshole but they know he puts on a good show.

Haha! Gotta love those who are lost in the confines of the online GnR bubble. You are so out of touch man it's actually scary. You say nobody cares who's in the band yet follow it up immediately by saying the world has a boner for classic Guns. You can't even get your own thoughts straight on the subject. FACT is I'm right and there is no ifs ands or buts about that when it comes to this. You're completely blinded by Axl fandom.

Online GNR bubble. GNR toured the world the last couple of years. The only attendance to the gigs was ppl from the forum.

Release UYI 91. Tour til 94. Get off the road. Write songs. Hit studio. Possibly 96. But by 99 they had a record. Even with Slash quitting. It's just the label/Axl didn't go with it etc. 2000 Intentions. Axl is even quoted as saying he was ready to mix after rerecording with RTB. Basically 10 years after UYI was out.

They seemed to have more than CD, there is another record that they started working on too. The record that was rejected in 2010 was possibly trying to make up for lost time. In the chats Axl was saying CD was a double.

Maybe the label just didn't see that as the best way to maximize sales of a GNR record. Hold off look for another exclusive deal. Unless there's money there the wheels won't move. My impression is Axl doesn't care much about the label. If they said yes in 2000 we'd have got version of CD. Obviously they were delaying looking to see the right numbers. Or they were just too scared to release Beavan's industrial record as it would take GNR too far away from it's audience.

But whatever the reason 2 records in 20 years since 2000 isn't as bad. But at least CD is strong 14 tracks. No covers or filler really. It has legs and longevity. Next year for CD 2 would be perfect.

Generally GNR put out a cd or dvd every 4 years. So I think AFDem blu ray set the clock back in 2014? 4 years after CD. 2018 and counting.

Right now you can see what's happening. Label is like hoping for a reunion tour to put out a Best of GNR double cd. Axl still has his second half of CD. There must be some disagreements in there.

CD II next year, then 2020 the reunion Best of?

I like you man, but most of what you said doesn't make any sense.

GnR put out five albums in six years. You cant extrapolate that and say they average an album every four years.

And CD has no filler and has staying power? Have you listened to Scraped?

Scraped is one of my favorites. Most played CD song according to my itunes. And yeah I still listen to CD. Hear the feedback at the end of Catcher yet? I normally say almost no filler. I'll give you Scraped and Riad, maybe just Riad, it's Tommy's song. I like it. Sometimes that really does it for me like Garden of Eden. Not exactly a single.

It's slightly different point than justifying the lack of material it's more the frequency of releases. A pattern. It's not exact but there's a pattern!

87 AFD

91 UYI

94 Spaghetti Incident

99 Live Era

2004 Greatest Hits

2008 CD

2014 AFDem

Theres Lies and UYI dvds. Definitely more activity early on. But then it settles into something about every 4 years.

So 2018?

Unfortunately only three if those years featured original material.

if CD is assessed for what it is, as opposed to a comparison with AfD/UYI and without the whole ZOMG AXL RUINED EVERYTHING)!)!)!))!)! biases, it's way better than some give it credit for. I can definitely see it as being an album that might be better appreciated in time.

No. That might be how you feel about it but that's not how everyone feels about it. Someone could just give me an unopened CD and I would turn it down. There's nothing about it that appeals to me regardless of who is or isn't on it.

This.

There are people in this forum who do not know the difference between objective and subjective and/or opinion and fact.

Chinese Democracy is a terrible, terrible album, an unlistenable piece of shit, for me, you know, not for the earth. Luckily nobody knows the album exists around here so chances of someone giving me an unopened copy of that turd are pretty much zero. Thank God.

And there are people on this forum who lack reading comprehension and only cherry-pick the parts of posts they want to bash. The beginning of my original post actually said: "Oh, I think it's entirely possible for someone to listen to CD (or ANY other album out there, regardless of quality) and dislike it on a personal level. We don't all like the same stuff or the same styles of composition and performance, and that'd not always about quality, it's about what personally appeals to us and what does not."

and I was actually replying to a poster who said that there was no way to dislike CD.

• Like 1

if CD is assessed for what it is, as opposed to a comparison with AfD/UYI and without the whole ZOMG AXL RUINED EVERYTHING)!)!)!))!)! biases, it's way better than some give it credit for. I can definitely see it as being an album that might be better appreciated in time.

No. That might be how you feel about it but that's not how everyone feels about it. Someone could just give me an unopened CD and I would turn it down. There's nothing about it that appeals to me regardless of who is or isn't on it.

This.

There are people in this forum who do not know the difference between objective and subjective and/or opinion and fact.

Chinese Democracy is a terrible, terrible album, an unlistenable piece of shit, for me, you know, not for the earth. Luckily nobody knows the album exists around here so chances of someone giving me an unopened copy of that turd are pretty much zero. Thank God.

And there are people on this forum who lack reading comprehension and only cherry-pick the parts of posts they want to bash. The beginning of my original post actually said: "Oh, I think it's entirely possible for someone to listen to CD (or ANY other album out there, regardless of quality) and dislike it on a personal level. We don't all like the same stuff or the same styles of composition and performance, and that'd not always about quality, it's about what personally appeals to us and what does not."

and I was actually replying to a poster who said that there was no way to dislike CD.

Nah, the reason it was cut was because you immediately flipped and said:

if CD is assessed for what it is, as opposed to a comparison with AfD/UYI and without the whole ZOMG AXL RUINED EVERYTHING)!)!)!))!)! biases, it's way better than some give it credit for.

You're insinuating that people only dislike it because it doesn't have Slash or wtf ever. That's a pretty boneheaded view on the opinion of others.

Edited by Rustycage

This.

if CD is assessed for what it is, as opposed to a comparison with AfD/UYI and without the whole ZOMG AXL RUINED EVERYTHING)!)!)!))!)! biases, it's way better than some give it credit for.

You're insinuating that people only dislike it because it doesn't have Slash or wtf ever. That's a pretty boneheaded view on the opinion of others.

Lol.

Rusty - you just caught Stella doing exactly what she was complaining about others doing.

Release UYI 91. Tour til 94. Get off the road. Write songs. Hit studio. Possibly 96. But by 99 they had a record. Even with Slash quitting. It's just the label/Axl didn't go with it etc. 2000 Intentions. Axl is even quoted as saying he was ready to mix after rerecording with RTB. Basically 10 years after UYI was out.

They seemed to have more than CD, there is another record that they started working on too. The record that was rejected in 2010 was possibly trying to make up for lost time. In the chats Axl was saying CD was a double.

Maybe the label just didn't see that as the best way to maximize sales of a GNR record. Hold off look for another exclusive deal. Unless there's money there the wheels won't move. My impression is Axl doesn't care much about the label. If they said yes in 2000 we'd have got version of CD. Obviously they were delaying looking to see the right numbers. Or they were just too scared to release Beavan's industrial record as it would take GNR too far away from it's audience.

But whatever the reason 2 records in 20 years since 2000 isn't as bad. But at least CD is strong 14 tracks. No covers or filler really. It has legs and longevity. Next year for CD 2 would be perfect.

Generally GNR put out a cd or dvd every 4 years. So I think AFDem blu ray set the clock back in 2014? 4 years after CD. 2018 and counting.

Right now you can see what's happening. Label is like hoping for a reunion tour to put out a Best of GNR double cd. Axl still has his second half of CD. There must be some disagreements in there.

CD II next year, then 2020 the reunion Best of?

I like you man, but most of what you said doesn't make any sense.

GnR put out five albums in six years. You cant extrapolate that and say they average an album every four years.

And CD has no filler and has staying power? Have you listened to Scraped?

Scraped is one of my favorites. Most played CD song according to my itunes. And yeah I still listen to CD. Hear the feedback at the end of Catcher yet? I normally say almost no filler. I'll give you Scraped and Riad, maybe just Riad, it's Tommy's song. I like it. Sometimes that really does it for me like Garden of Eden. Not exactly a single.

It's slightly different point than justifying the lack of material it's more the frequency of releases. A pattern. It's not exact but there's a pattern!

87 AFD

91 UYI

94 Spaghetti Incident

99 Live Era

2004 Greatest Hits

2008 CD

2014 AFDem

Theres Lies and UYI dvds. Definitely more activity early on. But then it settles into something about every 4 years.

So 2018?

Unfortunately only three if those years featured original material.
Unfortunately yes but you see what I'm saying. The label want to put stuff out at regular intervals. GH sold more than CD?

Furthermore, label probably would prefer a Best of and a reunion tour to promo it? CD II is a hard sell.

I personally think they have enough material for tours. Fans want hear classics more than Riad or IRS.

I agree they could have pushed CD more live, but thats not normal. I think they worked CD fully. Gave each song a run. I think it's a very strong album.

Personally you could give me CD I-IV and it would probably be awesome. But half the fanbase are like fuck CD, fuck this band! Then everyone says CD is a flop. If Axl didn't care, the label might.

For a Best of GNR you can pick 4 tracks from at least 10 CD tracks that are worthy. In my opinion of course. That is a miracle.

This.

No, she isn't insinuating that. She is explicitly claiming that for "some" people CD would be better if they'd been able to get rid of their prejudicies. I doubt many can argue with that. Claiming that she said that people ONLY dislike CD because of these prejudicies, is something else entirely. You are either not very good at reading and comprehension, or you deliberately misprepresent what people say to attack them :shrugs: .

This.

No, she isn't insinuating that. She is explicitly claiming that for "some" people CD would be better if they'd been able to get rid of their prejudicies. I doubt many can argue with that.

I can. That comment is more than a little supercilious. It just seems so hard for some of you to stomach that many of us don't like CD for a myriad of subjective but quite logical reasons.

Those opinions have nothing to do with Axl and how the original GNR went down; they are all to do with the fact that we don't like what we hear.

Try to be like Apollo, he loves CD but accepts that many don't. He doesn't run around creating patronising excuses for those of us that don't.

You should do the same.

• Like 1

This.

Exactly, but maybe English is not stella's first language. It would explain the poor, poor wording. :shrugs:

It was sarcasm. :facepalm:

A reunion is a bit of a gimmick. I think Axl just wants to be in a rock band that can put out a record every 10 years and tour when he wants. I don't think he's chasing fame or money.

Now- maybe. Back then- he had goals to be epic. He used to care. Now- yeah, he just wants to roll with whatever TB says.... Edited by Snowmass

Online bubble? if anyone is stuck in a bubble it's you. You're ridiculously butt hurt over Axl and the old band. And you are completely and utterly blinded by you're distaste for anything current Axl or GnR.

I don't think GnR are the biggest band in the world, and I don't think they'd become the biggest band in the world upon reuniting... I do firmly believe that if they did reunite they would do great business (stadiums, and bigger arenas, similar to what bands like Metallica or Bon Jovi, van Halen play). That's a belief that a lot of industry people (people who have a clue) seem to be behind too... exactly how many people have spoken about a reunion being an arena tour at best??? hmmm? haven't come across anyone, besides yourself :P that thinks that.

And the facts are that new gnr have done pretty well for themselves as a touring entity. You can try and dispute it but we all know that they've sold out plenty of gigs worldwide. Not saying they've been a roaring success at all times, but they definitely pull a crowd more often than not. And yes, we all know the UCAP run wasn't all sold out and they were playing small venues... yada, yada, yada - we've all heard that line, which is thrown around here by people like you as ammo to prove new guns aren't a successful group.

And, I said most people don't care who's in the band... I said that right now they do, but it's only because every second day there's a news story about the classic Guns reunion. It will dissipate when the stories slow down. People will go back to not caring who's in the band, and go to the show regardless, just as they have for the past 10 / 15 years of new gnr.

The world gave up on Axl at the 2002 VMA's. He confirmed what everyone suspected. He lost his voice, lost his looks, was out of shape and GNR is dead.

A reunion would be a revival of his image. As long as he shows up with his voice, with better looks, and in shape. It will make people believe in GNR again. Just doing the reunion won't be enough, he has to pull out the best of himself again.

Anyone saying it won't be a big deal are crazy. This would be huge. There is a huge vacancy in the Rock genre right now. But it will come down to Axl. You can all think Slash is equally as important but the expectations for GNR rest with Axl, he made them the biggest band on the planet and also made them the biggest joke. He's the frontman and the image. All success starts with Axl, people want to see him do good. It will be huge if he shows up.

No, if you see on youtube the Rock Am RIng concert on 2006, you see that Axl came in great shape and voice that year. I know that GNR will never be the same that 80´s and 90´s but we, as fans, can wait the best of Axl. He´s a super rockstar, he´s very talented and persistent.

The world gave up on Axl at the 2002 VMA's. He confirmed what everyone suspected. He lost his voice, lost his looks, was out of shape and GNR is dead.

A reunion would be a revival of his image. As long as he shows up with his voice, with better looks, and in shape. It will make people believe in GNR again. Just doing the reunion won't be enough, he has to pull out the best of himself again.

Anyone saying it won't be a big deal are crazy. This would be huge. There is a huge vacancy in the Rock genre right now. But it will come down to Axl. You can all think Slash is equally as important but the expectations for GNR rest with Axl, he made them the biggest band on the planet and also made them the biggest joke. He's the frontman and the image. All success starts with Axl, people want to see him do good. It will be huge if he shows up.

No, if you see on youtube the Rock Am RIng concert on 2006, you see that Axl came in great shape and voice that year. I know that GNR will never be the same that 80´s and 90´s but we, as fans, can wait the best of Axl. He´s a super rockstar, he´s very talented and persistent.

Fair, you don't represent the world and the world doesn't represent your opinions. What I meant to say is the casual rock fan gave up on GNR, the mainstream gave up on GNR on that night. The 2002 VMA's did a lot of damage to taking the nugnr seriously. It sucks but people were ready for them to fail without Slash and they did that night. First impressions are everything

This.

No, she isn't insinuating that. She is explicitly claiming that for "some" people CD would be better if they'd been able to get rid of their prejudicies. I doubt many can argue with that.

I can. That comment is more than a little supercilious. It just seems so hard for some of you to stomach that many of us don't like CD for a myriad of subjective but quite logical reasons.

Those opinions have nothing to do with Axl and how the original GNR went down; they are all to do with the fact that we don't like what we hear.

Try to be like Apollo, he loves CD but accepts that many don't. He doesn't run around creating patronising excuses for those of us that don't.

You should do the same.

Lol. Have you not read Soulmonster's posts before?

Without him to continually educate us.......the forum would quickly go down in flames.