Will the world forgive Axl if he doesn't do the reunion?

I think there are bigger issues in the world than whether or not GNR has a reunion. When GNR remerges I will be happy to see whoever is in the band. People will complain, no matter what happens. But asking if the world will forgive Axl if he doesn't do a reunion is just a tad dramatic. The only people who won't forgive Axl are forum members of various GNR boards whose main accomplishment in life is hating AXL. I can't understand that. he created some of the best rock music ever that will be remembered by future generations.

No one but us is paying enough attention to care either way. The only way the mainstream will give enough of a fuck about a reunion is if it actually comes to be. But nobody besides the hard ores are emotionally invested into what Axl is doing right now. And everybody here knows that chances are, he's just going to probably add another two no name guitarists into the band, tour the same nostalgic shows, with the same occasional comment about a new album that will probably never see the light of day. He's never going to admit nu guns is a failure and reunite the real band unless he's in absolute financial ruin, regardless of if he and Slash are civil now.

No one but us is paying enough attention to care either way. The only way the mainstream will give enough of a fuck about a reunion is if it actually comes to be. But nobody besides the hard ores are emotionally invested into what Axl is doing right now. And everybody here knows that chances are, he's just going to probably add another two no name guitarists into the band, tour the same nostalgic shows, with the same occasional comment about a new album that will probably never see the light of day. He's never going to admit nu guns is a failure and reunite the real band unless he's in absolute financial ruin, regardless of if he and Slash are civil now.

That's not true. A lot of people were interested when the speculations first started. And who made you qualified to predict Axl's thought process and what motivates his business decisions? And just who is the real band?

if CD is assessed for what it is, as opposed to a comparison with AfD/UYI and without the whole ZOMG AXL RUINED EVERYTHING)!)!)!))!)! biases, it's way better than some give it credit for. I can definitely see it as being an album that might be better appreciated in time.

No. That might be how you feel about it but that's not how everyone feels about it. Someone could just give me an unopened CD and I would turn it down. There's nothing about it that appeals to me regardless of who is or isn't on it.

This.

There are people in this forum who do not know the difference between objective and subjective and/or opinion and fact.

Chinese Democracy is a terrible, terrible album, an unlistenable piece of shit, for me, you know, not for the earth. Luckily nobody knows the album exists around here so chances of someone giving me an unopened copy of that turd are pretty much zero. Thank God.

And there are people on this forum who lack reading comprehension and only cherry-pick the parts of posts they want to bash. The beginning of my original post actually said: "Oh, I think it's entirely possible for someone to listen to CD (or ANY other album out there, regardless of quality) and dislike it on a personal level. We don't all like the same stuff or the same styles of composition and performance, and that'd not always about quality, it's about what personally appeals to us and what does not."

and I was actually replying to a poster who said that there was no way to dislike CD.

Nah, the reason it was cut was because you immediately flipped and said:

if CD is assessed for what it is, as opposed to a comparison with AfD/UYI and without the whole ZOMG AXL RUINED EVERYTHING)!)!)!))!)! biases, it's way better than some give it credit for.

You're insinuating that people only dislike it because it doesn't have Slash or wtf ever. That's a pretty boneheaded view on the opinion of others.

No, she isn't insinuating that. She is explicitly claiming that for "some" people CD would be better if they'd been able to get rid of their prejudicies. I doubt many can argue with that.

I can. That comment is more than a little supercilious. It just seems so hard for some of you to stomach that many of us don't like CD for a myriad of subjective but quite logical reasons.

No one is denying that many people who dislike CD do it because they genuinly dislike the music. Our point is that SOME dislike CD because of other reasons than the isolated merits of the record. Hence the comment "it is way better than SOME give it credit for". I emphasised the word people seem to be missing.

• Like 1

I think there are bigger issues in the world than whether or not GNR has a reunion. When GNR remerges I will be happy to see whoever is in the band. People will complain, no matter what happens. But asking if the world will forgive Axl if he doesn't do a reunion is just a tad dramatic. The only people who won't forgive Axl are forum members of various GNR boards whose main accomplishment in life is hating AXL. I can't understand that. he created some of the best rock music ever that will be remembered by future generations.

Oh yeah. The "there are more important things in the world than Gn'R and reunions" argument. On a Guns N' Roses forum. People will complain when all they have is 1 album in 24 years. Especially when you take into consideration the output of old Guns.

He created with the help of others some of the best hard rock music, and that is precisely why many want the people responsible for coming up with the music to be in the band again. That is not very hard to understand.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I still say that a reunion would not be as big as some make it out. Only the Brazilians will go to stadiums to see it and they would go to stadiums if GN'R consisted of Axl taking a gigantic shit on the stage, which to be honest, is probably a better spectacle than Rio 11 but that is besides the point.

You have to remember that gnr are affiliated with the hair rock genre of the 1980s and do not have the credibility bona fide stadium acts like the stones, springsteen, macca and Aerosmith carry.

Because I think you're extrapolating it.

Well, even if I were I'd still have to have a starting point with some examples of people who dislike CD because of other things than the music, which is what stella and I have been saying, so....

Stating that some people dislike CD because of other reasons than the music should be completely uncontroversial. It happens with all types of art. You can't separate context from art, or art form artist. What happens here is just people being so defensive of anything that can be construed as potential criticism of themselves that they go on attack rather than just accept what is trivial. Basically, they'd rather contest something uncontroversial rather than accept a statement that can be contrued as implictly critical of themselves. It is actually funny how a corrosive environment for discussions where people debate from the trenches make some people willing to sacrifice their intellect to defuse perceived criticisms.

Oh yeah. The "there are more important things in the world than Gn'R and reunions" argument. On a Guns N' Roses forum. People will complain when all they have is 1 album in 24 years. Especially when you take into consideration the output of old Guns.

He created with the help of others some of the best hard rock music, and that is precisely why many want the people responsible for coming up with the music to be in the band again. That is not very hard to understand.

The title of the thread was. Would the WORLD forgive Axl, not the members of GNR forums.

The title of the thread was. Would the WORLD forgive Axl, not the members of GNR forums.

The world doesn't care. We are talking about people who go to Gn'R shows to experience the hits and hardcore fans. Most hardcore fans I know that don't go on the internet don't know or care about any Slashless incarnation and the ones that do gave up long ago.

There is nothing to forgive, but there is much to complain about. Axl could have stayed somewhat relevant in the eyes of "the world" if he didn't vanish into his crib and released 1 album in 24 years.

I don't think the world is going to forget that. In fact I think Axl is probably going to be remembered as the drama queen lead singer that broke up Guns N' Roses for no good reason. Personally, I don't really believe I know the full story or that it was all Axl's fault, but the only way the world is gonna accept Axl's band as real Guns is a reunion or at least half a reunion cause he failed at cementing any of the other line ups as relevant to the legacy in any meaningful way to most fans.

Edited by Rovim

That's not true. A lot of people were interested when the speculations first started. And who made you qualified to predict Axl's thought process and what motivates his business decisions? And just who is the real band?
The last several years of watching the guy walk and talk, that's what. :lol:.

And yeah there was some public interest about Axl and Slash maybe, possibly hating each other less. Maybe, God willing, even being civil. But at this point, the masses as a whole aren't really paying enough attention to give that much of a shit, and they only really would if it was something really etched in stone. Which it's not. At all.

The world doesn't care. We are talking about people who go to Gn'R shows to experience the hits and hardcore fans. Most hardcore fans I know that don't go on the internet don't know or care about any Slashless incarnation and the ones that do gave up long ago.

There is nothing to forgive, but there is much to complain about. Axl could have stayed somewhat relevant in the eyes of "the world" if he didn't vanish into his crib and released 1 album in 24 years.

I don't think the world is going to forget that. In fact I think Axl is probably going to be remembered as the drama queen lead singer that broke up Guns N' Roses for no good reason. Personally, I don't really believe I know the full story or that it was all Axl's fault, but the only way the world is gonna accept Axl's new Guns as real Guns is a reunion cause he failed at cementing any of the other line ups as relevant to the legacy in any meaningful way to most fans.

I guess I just don't get why Axl owes the world anything. He has created some really great music that has stood the test of time. I would love to hear more. Axl is a great artist and a human being. Rock music isn't the big seller right now, so I really think a lot of delays are more on the business side of things with the suits.

Well, even if I were I'd still have to have a starting point with some examples of people who dislike CD because of other things than the music, which is what stella and I have been saying, so....

Stating that some people dislike CD because of other reasons than the music should be completely uncontroversial. It happens with all types of art. You can't separate context from art, or art form artist. What happens here is just people being so defensive of anything that can be construed as potential criticism of themselves that they go on attack rather than just accept what is trivial. Basically, they'd rather contest something uncontroversial rather than accept a statement that can be contrued as implictly critical of themselves. It is actually funny how a corrosive environment for discussions where people debate from the trenches make some people willing to sacrifice their intellect to defuse perceived criticisms.

So..... Who?

There is a lot that could be done if a reunion just isn't there for a variety of reasons; just patching things up with the classic lineup (which sounds like this has more or less happened) and opening up the vault for classic lineup footage and unreleased music could be a big deal.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

There is a lot that could be done if a reunion just isn't there for a variety of reasons; just patching things up with the classic lineup (which sounds like this has more or less happened) and opening up the vault for classic lineup footage and unreleased music could be a big deal.

That's actually a really good idea.

That's a bit if a pompous response.

Do you ever just chill and have a good old fashion chat with people? Join a conversation or even a debate and just talk and have a good time - without the need to educate and use passive aggressive insults?

Half the time I agree with your posts when I start reading them. But by the third or fourth paragraph you've turned your post into a history lesson and a criticism against the person you are educating.

We get it. You are a smart guy. Probably have a high IQ. But seriously, it's ok to just chill a bit and have a casual conversation. And maybe realize that you aren't the authority on every issue. Open your mind and accept other people's opinions every once in a while. You might actually learn something.

• Like 1

Do Live Era, the UYI DVD releases, Greatest HITS etc. Not exist?

There's nothing to patch up as far as archival releases go that I can see.

I was under the impression there is a considerable amount of unreleased classic/UYI footage in the vault

I'm hoping Wasted compiles his musings on Chinese Democracy into book form. Essays on Chinese Democracy by Wasted, about War and Peace in size, ''hard drugs preferred but not essential''.

I'd buy that book.

Out of all the people who hate on the CD fanatics you do it the most intelligently.

I was under the impression there is a considerable amount of unreleased classic/UYI footage in the vault

Of course. I'm talking about as far as interpersonal relationships being a stumbling block preventing archive releases.

I'm hoping Wasted compiles his musings on Chinese Democracy into book form. Essays on Chinese Democracy by Wasted, about War and Peace in size, ''hard drugs preferred but not essential''.

I'd buy that book.

Out of all the people who hate on the CD fanatics you do it the most intelligently.

Diesels one of my favorite posters on here. Even though i dont always agree with his opinions, he always presents them really good and enjoy going back and forth with him when we do. Wish there was more like 'em!

• Like 1

Do you mean that Axl not doing a reunion will hinder any other stuff he wants to do?

Axl seems to always be going against the grain so nothing would surprise me.

honestly I think people's forgiveness is overrated. It's just another record and tour. Another shitstorm to snakedance through.

• Like 2