Back when the new band was its own entity...what were the best performances?

I get where you are coming from but they literally played 20 shows together

I mean they don't even talk or rehearse together (maybe they rehearsed once together?) before the 2001 HOB show....

So there was no such thing as a "band" since Axl re launched the b®andname

On topic: The 2001 HOB show was probably the best or the last 2002 MSG show

The 2001 RIR show could be good, but his voice was too shitty and the overall mix was fucked up (thanks again Team Brazil... lol)

Edited by Strange Broue

BassLikeHot to thread, please.

I mean they don't even talk or rehearse together (maybe they rehearsed once together?) before the 2001 HOB show....

The 2001 RIR show could be good, but his voice was too shitty and the overall mix was fucked up (thanks again Team Brazil... lol)

2006 lineup is included here as well. You can post any :new" band videos that you want. I certainly remember Ron rocking out at Rock Am Ring being one of my great NuGN'R moments.

I just think the '01/'02 lineup is a little unique as it had a definitively fresh angle. And given its unfortunate demise, it seems a bit like an underdog that was never given its due. I really do think Axl was trying hard to repackage the brand into something different back then. As brilliant as some '06 gigs were, he was already beginning a retreat to the old band's style, imo.

• Like 1

Yeah, i saw them in 2006 with Brain on board (actually the show before RAR) and they seemed a band to me albeit BBF was pretty much faceless for me, but i immediately notice that he can play!

Another great show from early 2006. The TWAT performance gives me goosebumps still to this day

This was a cool moment in Zagreb that year

Edited by Strange Broue

that TWAT performance will forever send chills down my spine.

love how they turned into more of a rock n' roll song, too, compared to the studio cut,

agreed

I only discovered last year that they performed TWAT in Madrid too (although this performance was more Mickey than anything i've heard from him in 2006)

I remember Axl saying Madison sq garden was as good as the band would get so I'd like to see that show.

Ron's first show would be interesting.

I saw Dj's first show, that was interesting to see the band morph into a more rock n roll looking bunch of guys. 09-10 pretty. Those shows in SA after Axl was partying with Kevin Bacon in NY.

Before talks of a reunion completely overwhelmed and undermined the new group in recent times

When the new band actually managed to restructure Think About You, one of the weaker Appetite tunes

so it was "talks of reunion" that undermined axl's band?

are you sure of that?

think about you is one of the greatest rockers ever

You know... the more I think about it, the more I see NuGNR as a cover band as well. The setlists were filled with AFD songs, in 2002 they played what? 3 new songs per night? Sure, it all looked more exciting and interesting because Axl could still run (his voice sucked tho) and the hired musicians were way more talented. Also, waiting for CD made everything more exciting.

It's just sad to see such a talented and interesting group covering 80s hard rock. If Axl had played lots of CD-era songs, finished the tour, promoted the "band", everything would look so much more legit. Just imagine Robin and Buckethead on the cover of guitar magazines talking about the new songs, the recording process... Those musicians deserved so much better. Shame Axl hates making music and lead guitar players.

• Like 1

Before talks of a reunion completely overwhelmed and undermined the new group in recent times

When the new band actually managed to restructure Think About You, one of the weaker Appetite tunes

are you sure of that?

to be fair, i was on a bit of a bender when i made this thread last night.

ever drank a six pack of mad elves in one sitting? work today was not fun...

are you sure of that?

now that was a fun answer

this mad elves beer must be bad hahahahahaha

mad_elf.jpg

Rock in Rio 2001 as a whole would be the show I'd like to remember them by. Partly for the crowd, admittedly. Axl was out of form (and shape). But I believed in the line up and it being able to work with the old material while evolving GNR into something different and worthwhile.

It didn't last. During that show Axl said 'without Paul Tobias, there'd be no GNR'. Well, that was unfortunate, and as each member left, something went with them. Even in 2006 with Axl at the top of his game and Robin still around, looking back now it feels like they'd already given up being their own thing.

BassLikeHot to thread, please.

2006 lineup is included here as well. You can post any :new" band videos that you want. I certainly remember Ron rocking out at Rock Am Ring being one of my great NuGN'R moments.

I just think the '01/'02 lineup is a little unique as it had a definitively fresh angle. And given its unfortunate demise, it seems a bit like an underdog that was never given its due. I really do think Axl was trying hard to repackage the brand into something different back then. As brilliant as some '06 gigs were, he was already beginning a retreat to the old band's style, imo.

agreed 2002 was way better/fresh in the sense that that band could've floated...they had character and mite and were by far the best musically of all nu gnr's....i could even give axl more breaks for his voice as a result

are you sure of that?

now that was a fun answer

this mad elves beer must be bad hahahahahaha

mad_elf.jpg

they're great ales. but they're each around 11% abv. so three will usually get me feeling rowdy...