Truth is....we allowed this to happen.

DIST

We the fans allowed Axl to run the GUNS N ROSES name to the ground.

NuGNR toured and we went to see them over and over and over.. I saw them a good 8 times.

From the beginning fans including myself shouldn't have accepted it, carrying the name with this other players under incompetent management.

There was a show in England where Axl got sick and couldn't sing PC so Sebastian Bach filled in..there on stage not a single member of GUNS N ROSES ...closing a GUNS N ROSES show. (who gives a shit about Dizzy) Things like this just amaze me. How bizarre.

And to top it all a flop of an album. (that is my personal taste)

My guess is, if reunion doesn't happen and the next NuNuGNR goes on tour...they will have no problem selling tickets.

Even after all the Axl disasters..People will whine from here till the show hits their town and they will go.

Hell..I would go, as much as I hate this being called GUNS N ROSES.

Will you go?

• Like 1

No. I'll go to a show if Slash is the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses. Until then, Axl isn't getting any of my money. Hell, NuGNR even stood me up once (DC 2002). And I still went and saw them twice after that (Hammerstein & Baltimore). Decent shows, no doubt. But at that time there was still some excitement around NuGNR and the possibility Axl could really 'right the ship', so to speak.

Well, that ship eventually crashed and burned (and sunk). The only way GNR has any hope for the future, at least in my eyes (and I think the majority of the general public outside of South America), is if there's a reunion between Slash and Axl. Sprinkle in any backing cast of Duff, Matt, Steven, Izzy, Gilby, Dizzy, Frank, Stinson or Fortus and I'd be there in full support. Gotta have the tophat though... no question.

Speaking of NuGNR and any new material from them, Axl should release all the leftovers from that experiment and call the album 'Crashed and Burned'. It would be fitting.

You can send the royalty check for the album name to me, TB. You're welcome.

Hey look, I was excited about the actual Chinese Democracy/New GNR band and of course it wasn't Guns N Fuckin Roses I had no problem with it, seemed like it was going to be something cool and different.

However, all the guys that made that band left years ago and the 09-14 era was an absolute fucking disgrace right from the announcement of #demented joining the "band" and the first gig.

Quite seriously, I refused to go and see that lineup, even for free.

I saw them in 2006 and 2012, and they were both good gigs (in their different ways), but I probably would not go now. Not so much that I am making some big moral stance against evil nugnr, but more that it is a redundant act which plays the exact same show every time. Also there is the fact that there has been a downward trajectory in the calibre of musicians, and I'm never that impressed when bands tour without an album - GN'R are not the only culprits here.

I have better things to spend my money on (cricket tickets basically haha).

Edited by DieselDaisy

I supported nuGnR fully until mid way through 2006 when I realized they were just fucking with fans. That's when it became brutally obvious this band had zero vision, zero future, zero aspirations other than to be a bullshit cover of the original band leeching off the legacy. Lying to fans, disrespecting fans etc etc. Axl's shitty ass performances on global stages, Axl's refusal to speak for his own band leaving us to listen to replacements like Tommy tell us to get on board or fuck off. Thats the most classic line of all because the only people who never got on board was Axl and his fake band. Listening to goofs like Bach tell us how much amazing material there is. Dude isn't even in Guns N Roses and he's been more of a spokeman for the band than Axl.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

If nobody had shown up to see NuGNR, ten to one, Axl would have just gone back to Malibu and whatever he's done for the last 20 years there. I don't think it would have prompted any change in his musical direction, much less given him any inclination to reunite with former members of the AfD/UYI - era band.

if anything, NuGNR facilitated the possibility of reconciliation with some of those old band members. Izzy and Duff both mended their fences with Axl by playing with him in NuGNR. Matt was able to speak to him while he was on tour. And no, it doesn't mean they're all going to sing kumbaya and go on tour again together as a group, but it's probably been a good thing for all of them, on a personal level.

As far as attending NuGNR concerts? I have in the past and I probably would again, assuming the price was reasonable, for the sake of seeing Axl perform. I also try to see Slash and Duff in whatever projects they're doing. GnR isn't the only band that has almost entirely changed lineups. It happens. Sometimes the lineup changes work; sometimes they don't.

• Like 1

Honestly, i don't think Guns n Roses, or any band for that matter, are worth the bother. I mean if the people who created it don't have the respect why should i? They obviously don't think enough of it to preserve it so, y'know, perhaps i was the one in the wrong for giving it the respect in the first place, I mean they created it, they're responsible for it, they should know better than me of it's value and if they don't consider it of ever so much value then why should I?

The man who owns it thought nothing of stripping it for parts so...y'know, it ain't my thing, whats the point me sitting, 10 degrees detached from the situation, having a moody because a bunch of fuckin' adults can't get it together and play music together, quite frankly i got better things to worry about that a pack of two bit fuckin' road monkeys going out and playing their silly little songs.

Now i love music and by extension i love a lot of people that make music...but i don't really give a monkeys who does or doesn't stay together as a band or out there and touring because why should I? Remember this is a guy whoose response regarding waiting for an album he had promised you was something like wait for Jesus, the pay offs much better. Y'know what he's telling you there? Fuck off and get a life you sad cunts, thats basically what he's saying. And there's really not a lot to be said after that except 'well up yours too, Ginger Bollocks' and be on your way :shrugs:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 2

NuGNR was worth allowing to happen to begin with. It added a natural chapter to the GNR story with Axl left standing on his own, having fallen out with everyone and possibly gone insane. Regardless of personnel, CD had managed to gain a level of hype to match the Beach Boys' Smile.

Then CD came out and flopped, the band that recorded it no longer existed and Axl carried on anyway. What happened after that wasn't GNR, it wasn't NuGNR, it was Axl destroying his reputation and making a fool of himself, and I never supported that. I can proudly say I never saw a show with DJ Ashba. Axl had already failed but opted to carry on failing even harder with each tour until the point where we got some epic fails.

Axl has always had issues but I never thought he'd allow himself to become what he did over those later years. So yeah I let it happen but only in the sense that I didn't pay to go to a show and arrange an intervention with the rest of the crowd where we all stopped him mid-squeak and begged him to seek help.

We the fans allowed Axl to run the GUNS N ROSES name to the ground.

NuGNR toured and we went to see them over and over and over.. I saw them a good 8 times.

From the beginning fans including myself shouldn't have accepted it, carrying the name with this other players under incompetent management.

There was a show in England where Axl got sick and couldn't sing PC so Sebastian Bach filled in..there on stage not a single member of GUNS N ROSES ...closing a GUNS N ROSES show. (who gives a shit about Dizzy) Things like this just amaze me. How bizarre.

And to top it all a flop of an album. (that is my personal taste)

My guess is, if reunion doesn't happen and the next NuNuGNR goes on tour...they will have no problem selling tickets.

Even after all the Axl disasters..People will whine from here till the show hits their town and they will go.

Hell..I would go, as much as I hate this being called GUNS N ROSES.

Will you go?

Yes, of course I will go. It's a great show and I really like Guns N' Roses.

Wow we allow huh? Whatever. Axl is Axl. He is going to do what he wants. You and I haven't got a damn thing too do with it. lol Truth is for me, Axl was the biggest reason I got so into GNR. So I will support old, new or reunion. I just like GNR can't that be enough?

• Like 1

Fans went to see axl when the rasp was still hard hitting and the songs were played well (forget 01-02), and if he comes back with his latest hacks and he sounds like mickey mouse, I for one will certainly not be going to see that freakshow. If he comes back on top form with a guy in a top hat and a lanky punk rocker, it will be the greatest thing in music history, to me anyway

A lot of people haven't accepted GNR without Slash, but people want to hear the songs.

ChiDem wasn't a flop, but it didn't knock it out of the park. In America 250,000 copies on CD the week it came out, and 10,000 copies on vinyl.

There was a lot working against that album selling, but it still sold at a time millions of people were getting the music for free for at least half a decade. If he had put it out in 2002, it would have sold a few million copies (it would have sold more than TSI), but those next 5-6 years killed any chance of it selling a lot of copies.

Not just me, not just gnr fans, but MANY people in the music industry were all waiting to see what Axl was going to do next. So I can't say "I allowed this to happen." Because I didnt, you didn't either, it's just something that DID happen. Hell I don't even think Axl himself wanted it to go down like this, but sometimes Shit happens.

But let's all go back in time to the mid to late 90's. Even though Slash was already gone, their was still TONS of interest in what Axl was going to do. We gotta remember that he went from being one of the biggest rock stars in the planet, to literally hiding from the public for a better part of a decade, that created a ton of interest in itself. Then when word came that YES guns would continue, and we hear names like Tommy Stinson, Buckethead, and even Robin Finck; it helped add to the allure. These were not no name musicians, Axl actually went out and put together a band that was (arguably) more talented than the original. The problem was, they were not players that always got together or blended properly. Just because you put together a super group on paper, doesn't mean they always gel together. Which was exactly the problem with that line up, on paper, and even on the album, Buckethead and Finck were a formiddable tandum. But playing live, and even more so off stage, they were not meant to be in the same band. Which Axl's issues aside, I firmly believe Bucketheads issues with Finck played a role in his departure. That is why I do believe Axl corrected that mistake with BBF and Ashba. Say what you will about that line up, but at least on stage, they were far more solid and cohesive than Buckethead and Finck were.

But those issues aside, what really killed nugnr was the wait. It all took far too long. By the time CD was actually released, it had become a joke. The band that wrote that album was no longer even there, it literally became a cover band playing classic and Nugnr songs. The Nugnr fans and the classic gnr fans all viewed that line up as a joke, no way Axl could win with that line up, despite the fact they actually played a number of great shows (yes a few bad ones as well). But it was too far removed from anything that it was supposed to be. Had CD been released by 2004 (at the latest), and both Buckethead and Finck stuck around to tour that album, things could have been quite different.

But having said that, that band was doomed to implode as well. As I said earlier, it wasn't the proper mixture to really sustain itself past that one album. I saw them live in 2002, so I do feel informed enough to make that call. They could be great, but they could also be quite lackluster (Detroit 2002, the show I attended). As long as they were in the studio, perhaps not even at the same time, the chance for magic was greater. But on the road, it was doomed from the word go, no coincidence that tour for cancelled imo.

So bottom line, as we sit here in 2015, I do believe the appetite for a proper Axl and Slash reunion would be high, no matter how Nugnr went. Even if CD had been released in 2003 and sold 10 million copies, that band would have been done by now anyways. So the public would have wanted a classic reunion by now anyways. Yes I would have preferred Nugnr to have gotten a fairer shake, but I didn't delay the album 4 or 5 years past its expiration date...

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Saw them in 2006, loved it.

Saw them in 2010. A lot less good and nothing new. Basically it was the same show as before, but without Robin (less good) and with Ashba (a lot worse).

Haven't seen them since.

As long as there's nothing new going on, definitely not going to see them again.

There are way too many good bands out there to waste more money on a same shit different day GnR show. Plus, I don't like indirectly paying for Team Complaints.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

Before CD came out at least you could delude yourself that he was ''hiding away working on a masterpiece'' a la Brian Wilson. But then you see the fruits of that and it contains Scraped and Shackler's Revenge, you realise you have been sadly mistaken.

I used to believe back in 2002 or even 2006 that there was a sort of strategy in place when in fact it has been obvious that Axl is habitually lazy, makes it up as he goes along and needs Slash and Izzy to produce great music.

• Like 1

they were far more solid and cohesive than Buckethead and Finck were.

I think people get this impression because Ron and Assba covered the songs closer to the original versions. Finck and BH tried to add their own styles when covering Slash's original music. And I must say I prefered BH and Finck's approach. Ron sounded like a very competent and professional cover musician. Assba tried really hard to copy Slash.

• Like 1

Before CD I was a huge supporter of new gnr because I thought it was axl who made gnr great. I expected a CD full of Nov rain/estranged type songs with a few rockers. It's clear now that it was a team effort that made gnr so great in the first place and I can't support another new lineup.