Phil Collins - "I am no longer retired."

Black Sabbath

Phil Collins returns: I am no longer retired

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer has plans for new album and tour, also open to Genesis reunion

---------------------

Phil Collins last solo album of original material, Testify, was released way back in 2002. He released a covers album of Motown classics in 2010, but announced his retirement a year later. The move came as the former Genesis frontman desired to take a more hands-on approach in raising his two children, whom his ex-wife had moved to Miami in 2008. Now the kids are grown, the iconic singer-songwriter has revealed to Rolling Stone that he is ready to get back in the studio and onto the road.

Im no longer officially retired, Collins revealed. The horse is out of the stable and Im raring to go.

Amazingly, the announcement of Collins return to music came just five days after he underwent major back surgery. Not long after moving to Miami earlier this year, he woke up and found himself unable to move his right foot. I had an MRI and my back and hips were just shot, he said. The doctor had to go in there, work on the sciatic nerve and take my back apart and unscramble the mess. Hed previously dislocated a vertebra in his neck during Genesis 2007 reunion tour, an injury that took his ability to play the drums. After this latest surgery, however, his doctor is hopeful he could return to the kit. He said to me, If you want to play drums again, all you have to do is practice.'

Collins had actually been planning a return for a while, having brought bassist Lelan Sklar and drummer Jason Bonham together for rehearsals last year. After he got sick, though, those sessions fell apart, so its unknown whether those musicians will continue on with him in this latest revival. Still, hes moved a recording studio into his home and is preparing to begin recording next month. A tour may happen before a new album, but that depends on the fans response to his upcoming reissues campaign. Im easily flattered, Collins said. If people rediscover the old stuff and show interest, it would be silly to not make more music.

As for what a tour might entail, the details are currently being ironed out, but Collins has some ideas in mind. I dont think I want a very long tour, admitted Collins. But I would like to play the stadiums in Australia and the Far East, and thats the only way to do that. But theres a part of me that just wants to do theaters, so well see.

Of course, the question then becomes if another Genesis reunion could be in the future, a topic about which Collins is tentative. I love the guys. I would just prefer to do this first. For now, lets just see how this goes. He added that he doesnt think fans have thought it through regarding a full-fledged, Peter Gabriel-led reunion of the band. Pete wont sing Invisible Touch or I Cant Dance,' said Collins. Wed only do material like The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Also, I cant play drums, so I cant do what I did. I just want to settle with the bits of me that I can possibly do.

Whatever happens with his former band, Collins appears excited to return to his solo career and get back on road. No matter what happens, I can go out there, play piano and sing. Im just in a very happy place right now. For that matter, his kids are all for his comeback too. They were in nappies when I was last on the road. They love my music and Id like to take them out so they can enjoy it.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/phil-collins-returns-i-am-no-longer-retired/

:D :D :D :D :D

Oh yeah, Sting is definitely on the sack of shit list. I mean, Sting? What the fuck kinda name is that? Does he have a brother called Nettles?

He sort of looks the part as well, doesn't he? :lol: Bung him in a mugshot and stick it in front of a few people and go 'name his crime' and 9 out of 10 would go 'kiddie-fiddler!'

Totally. He should be taken into questioning and have his home raided just based on how much he looks the part.

I am very disappointed by this news, if only because one of my favourite headlines in recent memory was "Phil Collins retires - apologises for career."

Where have the posts gone? Meh, this board ain't fun no more.

Meh, Unless it is a full fledged Peter Gabriel era Genesis reunion or even a reunion of the pre 1980 Collins fronted Genesis with Bill Bruford on drums I have no desire to see or hear post 1980 Genesis or Collins solo stuff. He lost me starting with the Duke album.

Pity he can't play drums as we will never see a Peter Gabriel era reunion now.

Edited by classicrawker

I liked the poppier Collins fronted version of Genesis over the Gabriel edition. It's just what I grew up with. This was my JAM when I was, six years old:

Ugh, one of the worst songs all time. I will not forgive you for putting it into my head again, even if I haven't heard it fot 20 years.

I'm sorry Phil chose to come out of retirement :(

• Like 2

I liked the poppier Collins fronted version of Genesis over the Gabriel edition. It's just what I grew up with. This was my JAM when I was, six years old:

Ugh, one of the worst songs all time. I will not forgive you for putting it into my head again, even if I haven't heard it fot 20 years.

I'm sorry Phil chose to come out of retirement :(

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii can't dance!

I honestly don't understand why Phil Collins gets so much shit.

People like Robbie Williams or Kanye West or *take your pick* are celebrated yet a bloke who was (is?) a fantastic singer and drummer who wrote and produced his own shit is ridiculed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan or anything but his work on Peter Gabriel III/Melt alone earns him my respect.

• Like 1

People like Robbie Williams or Kanye West or *take your pick* are celebrated yet a bloke who was (is?) a fantastic singer and drummer who wrote and produced his own shit is ridiculed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan or anything but his work on Peter Gabriel III/Melt alone earns him my respect.

I have never against him. Don't like Genesis and find his solo stuff a bit beige and slick but he does not annoy me as much as Bono.

I think you'll find 90% of sane people think Robbie Williams and Kanye are cunts too :lol: Kanye is someone who has made, according to certain ears, i think possibly deaf ones, good music but personality-wise, even the people who acclaim him or afford him the platform to shoot his mouth off in interviews think he's a massive cunt, the looks of bemusement and often disgust are clear to see. And Robbie Williams, celebrated? What, the fat dancer from Take That? :lol: He weren't respected in his day let alone now!

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

I think you'll find 90% of sane people think Robbie Williams and Kanye are cunts too :lol: Kanye is someone who has made, according to certain ears, i think possibly deaf ones, good music but personality-wise, even the people who acclaim him or afford him the platform to shoot his mouth off in interviews think he's a massive cunt, the looks of bemusement and often disgust are clear to see. And Robbie Williams, celebrated? What, the fat dancer from Take That? :lol: He weren't respected in his day let alone now!

You leave Robbie alone, Lenny! :max:

• Like 1

You leave Robbie alone, Lenny! :max:

'he offered me out right, when i was halfway across the world, didn't say his word today when I'm sitting 3 tables across so goes to show whoose the soft lad, dunnit?'

GO ON LIAM! :lol: Oh what I would've paid to see Liam stick one right on his fuckin' chin!

Edited by Len B'stard

No no no no no no no, sorry, not having it, none of you are allowed to like Phil Collins or Genesis ever and if you do i will find where you live and construct a little concentration camp on the outskirts of Worthing and send you there where you'll be held in deprivation tank and have your feet burned by loads of little bald dwarves that look like Phil Collins, with the only way to stop the burning being to press a button in the wall that you have to hold in that causes The Stone Roses debut album to play.