Matt Sorum On Guns N' Roses 'I'm Just Happy We're All Still Alive'

Of course. I am always disappointed when I see bands and I am not waiting around in a hockey arena for four hours before they begin. And how can any experience be labelled 'rawk n roll'' without that £50 taxi ride home at three in the morning?

When the music isn't the main highlight......then something is wrong.

The most "rock n roll" thing a band can do is come out on time and kick your ass for three hours with their music. Coming on late, causing a riot, ranting about other celebrities.....lol, no.

• Like 1

My response to anyone who says rock is dead or the spirit of rock is absent today is that you aren't looking hard enough. There are some good angry musicians out there who live the life. I have previously encouraged people to check out Death Grips. No they aren't traditional rock and roll, they are a hardcore/punk/rap hybrid group, but goddamn are they pissed off. They put on a great show and no one ever leaves disappointed.

My response to anyone who says rock is dead or the spirit of rock is absent today is that you aren't looking hard enough. There are some good angry musicians out there who live the life. I have previously encouraged people to check out Death Grips. No they aren't traditional rock and roll, they are a hardcore/punk/rap hybrid group, but goddamn are they pissed off. They put on a great show and no one ever leaves disappointed.

Most stadium bands old or new these days don't have it though. Like Green Day or Fall Out Boy. Of course it's not advisable. And sure you need to complete a set but GNR always had some danger to them even in hockey arenas. Labels dont really support the rock n roll spirit these days. Guns would never make it big these days. Zutaut and Niven had to pull out the stops back then. Cant imagine GNR starting on myspace like Fall out Boy.

Matt, Gilby and Adler are desperate for cash.

This

The whole interview was just screaming "get me to the reunion Ax!"

But most people pro ably won't give a fuck about this aspect, lol

I like how he put "those guys" in there....

He never felt that he was in the band

All hail the first hired hand who actually appears on a classic record! :headbang:

Not Fade Away opening - Voodoo Lounge Tour?

For the show at Wembley somewhere around 95-96. There was this firing breathing dragon thing that came down and Jagger was mincing around in the flames.

Probably Bridges To Babylon Tour

The dragon was Voodoo Lounge.

Of course. I am always disappointed when I see bands and I am not waiting around in a hockey arena for four hours before they begin. And how can any experience be labelled 'rawk n roll'' without that £50 taxi ride home at three in the morning?

The most "rock n roll" thing a band can do is come out on time and kick your ass for three hours with their music. Coming on late, causing a riot, ranting about other celebrities.....lol, no.

I disagree. There is more to music than just the music.

I've been at a show where he did not show up until past eleven and there is nothing very 'rock n' roll' about the experience. It is actually incredibly boring. People just mill around in the foyer drinking overpriced beer while calling Axl a 'wanker'. There is more 'rock n' roll' in watching paint dry than waiting on Axl - trust me. There is simply nothing remotely interesting about the experience.

• Like 2

I've been at a show where he did not show up until past eleven and there is nothing very 'rock n' roll' about the experience. It is actually incredibly boring. People just mill around in the foyer drinking overpriced beer while calling Axl a 'wanker'. There is more 'rock n' roll' in watching paint dry than waiting on Axl - trust me. There is simply nothing remotely interesting about the experience.

I went to a recent show where they came on 10 minutes early and I'd trade your show for my show.

I went to a recent show where they came on 10 minutes early and I'd trade your show for my show.

Remember to take a good book then.

Can I recommend other experiences which you would find pleasurably 'rawk n' roll'. Waiting on a bus: very exiting and unpredictable wondering if the commuters are going to start a riot when that bus is ten minutes late. Switch train for bus and you will find similar pleasurable experiences - British Rail in fact should be your heroes! The aforementioned watching paint dry also produces feelings of excitement and tension. ''Will that wall be dry in a hour or two'' one wonders?

• Like 1

All of this "they were so dangerous, they had me on the edge of my seat..." 30 years ago, people. 25 years ago. All of them have grown up. Some of them have kids that they care about; most of them have some sort of partner; they all have a lot of money in the bank and adult responsibilities. With the exception of Steven they all gave up drug abuse a long time ago. Even if the five AfD members or the UYI lineup were onstage together, anyone who would expect them to behave like 22-year-old, drug-addicted street hoodlums would be very disappointed. They don't do that in their shows with their own projects. Even Axl gets his ass to the venue on time now (and given how unhappy Duff and Slash were about the constant UYI lateness, I would imagine that WOULD be a sticking point in any reunion negotiations. It's worth mentioning that there weren't any complaints about lateness for the shows where Duff played with NuGuns).

And I'm agreeing with those who say there's nothing "rock n' roll" about watching a crowd riot and people getting hurt, especially when it's because the lead singer couldn't be bothered showing up for three hours. If that's all you want to experience, why bother even going to a concert...you can go to a soccer (yeah, I know, football to everyone outside the USA...) match and see that any day of the week. I don't care if the band members are celibate monks, I care about what they can do onstage.

Edited by stella
  • Like 3

Most Axl lateness incidents do not end up in a riot though. It is just boring. You just stand around bored, wondering how you are going to get home and watching your funds dissipate on overpriced beer and t-shirts of skulls. It also means that when Axl arrives, the crowd are automatically against him, booing and shouting out 'wanker'. And this is one of the reasons why this over grown toddler of a man walks off because someone will voice their grievances at his lateness by throwing a bottle - case in point,

PS

''You Tennessee cunt'' haha. God I love the Irish. Only these people would have the good sense and taste to bottle the wanker off stage.

Creating tension is rock n roll. Actually getting a reaction from the docile masses. They want everything on time and safe, just escapism. Not the realness that maybe Axl didn't feel like coming on stage exactly at 8:30. If AFD is the soundtrack to health and safety and GNR look like a bunch of stable guys then it would make sense if they were on time. But they could OD any time during the tour, Axl could quit any time. They were fuck ups, not accountants.

Creating tension is rock n roll. Actually getting a reaction from the docile masses. They want everything on time and safe, just escapism. Not the realness that maybe Axl didn't feel like coming on stage exactly at 8:30. If AFD is the soundtrack to health and safety and GNR look like a bunch of stable guys then it would make sense if they were on time. But they could OD any time during the tour, Axl could quit any time. They were fuck ups, not accountants.

You speak a right load of cock and balls Wasted.

This is rock n' roll,

- Elvis

- Chuck

- Little Richard

- Jerry Lee Lewis

- Fats Domino

That is the very DNA of rock n' roll.

Now tell me when any of these acts pulled the stunts Rose has pulled?

You speak a right load of cock and balls Wasted.

This is rock n' roll,

- Elvis

- Chuck

- Little Richard

- Jerry Lee Lewis

- Fats Domino

That is the very DNA of rock n' roll.

Now tell me when any of these acts pulled the stunts Rose has pulled?

4 out of 5 had things for underage girls though.

• Like 1